Author Topic: Cinnamon  (Read 1852 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Cinnamon
« on: April 20, 2006, 10:55:01 AM »
..."It was effective not only in increasing the uptake of glucose (blood sugar) by cells, but also of stimulating the synthesis of glycogen, a polymeric form of glucose that is stored primarily in the liver and muscle tissues for use at times of peak energy demand, such as exercise."...

http://www.life-enhancement.com/article_template.asp?ID=914

..."In fact, taking just half a tea spoon of cinnamon a day may reduce blood sugar levels by 18 to 29%. That’s bound to enhance fat loss if you’re following a calorie restricted diet.
"...

http://www.ast-ss.com/dev/qa_search/full_text.asp?ID=2730

Cinnamon boosts brain function:
http://www.ast-ss.com/research/cribb/research_reviews/rr_full_text.asp?rrID=349

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Re: Cinnamon
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 11:51:36 AM »
I've been folloowing that research too.  To experiment, I took 1tbsp of cin in  hot water and drank it.  About an hour later I had the worst "crash" similar to a blood sugar crash after eating something sugary.  I couldn't even keep my eyes open at my desk and I got extremely hungry.  Something definitely occurred with respect to my blood sugar.  So at this point I believe it does something but I'm not sure what nor how to use it effectively in my nutritional program (if at all).

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 12:00:21 PM »
I've been folloowing that research too.  To experiment, I took 1tbsp of cin in  hot water and drank it.  About an hour later I had the worst "crash" similar to a blood sugar crash after eating something sugary.  I couldn't even keep my eyes open at my desk and I got extremely hungry.  Something definitely occurred with respect to my blood sugar.  So at this point I believe it does something but I'm not sure what nor how to use it effectively in my nutritional program (if at all).

Rambo,
That doesn't make sense.  Your reaction may not have been related to the cinnamon itself, but to something else.  This research shows the opposite, that cinnamon helps stabilize blood sugar, thus avoiding the "crash" that you are talking about.  It helps your cells absorb excess blood sugar to use as energy, thus helping you gain and keep a lean muscular body.

Taking a whole 1tbsp of cinnamon in one shot like that is too much.  Spread it out.  I spread mine out through out the day, a little in my coffee, a little in my oatmeal, a little in my protein drink, etc.  I've had great results.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 12:41:17 PM »
I agree it doesn't make sense.  Believe me, it was quite the opposite of what I expected or wanted.  You're correct about the volume I used being too high.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 01:05:37 PM »
I agree it doesn't make sense.  Believe me, it was quite the opposite of what I expected or wanted.  You're correct about the volume I used being too high.

Plus it sounds really nasty!  Don't get me wrong I love cinnamon but a whole Tablespoon with no sweetner...ugh.
Jennifer

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 01:11:48 AM »
Plus it sounds really nasty!  Don't get me wrong I love cinnamon but a whole Tablespoon with no sweetner...ugh.

{LOL}  Beast, you don't have to take it like cough medicine, you can put it in your food too.  :P

I think I might have posted this last year, but I'm not sure, so here it is:

Cinnamon spice produces healthier blood
17:52 24 November 2003
NewScientist.com news service
Debora MacKenzie

Just half a teaspoon of cinnamon a day significantly reduces blood sugar levels in diabetics, a new study has found. The effect, which can be produced even by soaking a cinnamon stick in your tea, could also benefit millions of non-diabetics who have blood sugar problem but are unaware of it.

The discovery was initially made by accident, by Richard Anderson at the US Department of Agriculture's Human Nutrition Research Center in Beltsville, Maryland.

"We were looking at the effects of common foods on blood sugar," he told New Scientist. One was the American favourite, apple pie, which is usually spiced with cinnamon. "We expected it to be bad. But it helped," he says.

Sugars and starches in food are broken down into glucose, which then circulates in the blood. The hormone insulin makes cells take in the glucose, to be used for energy or made into fat.

But people with Type 1 diabetes do not produce enough insulin. Those with Type 2 diabetes produce it, but have lost sensitivity to it. Even apparently healthy people, especially if they are overweight, sedentary or over 25, lose sensitivity to insulin. Having too much glucose in the blood can cause serious long-term damage to eyes, kidneys, nerves and other organs.

Molecular mimic
The active ingredient in cinnamon turned out to be a water-soluble polyphenol compound called MHCP. In test tube experiments, MHCP mimics insulin, activates its receptor, and works synergistically with insulin in cells.

To see if it would work in people, Alam Khan, who was a postdoctoral fellow in Anderson's lab, organised a study in Pakistan. Volunteers with Type 2 diabetes were given one, three or six grams of cinnamon powder a day, in capsules after meals.

All responded within weeks, with blood sugar levels that were on average 20 per cent lower than a control group. Some even achieved normal blood sugar levels. Tellingly, blood sugar started creeping up again after the diabetics stopped taking cinnamon.

The cinnamon has additional benefits. In the volunteers, it lowered blood levels of fats and "bad" cholesterol, which are also partly controlled by insulin. And in test tube experiments it neutralised free radicals, damaging chemicals which are elevated in diabetics.

Buns and pies
"I don't recommend eating more cinnamon buns, or even more apple pie - there's too much fat and sugar," says Anderson. "The key is to add cinnamon to what you would eat normally."

The active ingredient is not in cinnamon oils. But powdered spice can be added to toast, cereal, juice or coffee.

Anderson's team were awarded patents related to MHCP in 2002. But the chemical is easily obtained. He notes that one of his colleagues tried soaking a cinnamon stick in tea. "He isn't diabetic - but it lowered his blood sugar," Anderson says.

The group now plans to test even lower doses of cinnamon in the US, and also look at long-term blood sugar management with the spice.

Journal reference: Diabetes Care (vol 26, p 3125)
w

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 01:39:18 PM »

Today I did the more sane thing.  I bought cinnamon capsules, and I took the recommended dosage (2000 mg).   Nothing bad happened this time.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 01:46:06 PM »
You can incorporate cinnamon into many foods when you cook/eat.

Pumpkin, soups, squash, yougurt, etc

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 05:35:59 PM »
You can incorporate cinnamon into many foods when you cook/eat.

Pumpkin, soups, squash, yougurt, etc
yeah for my breakfast I take the tsp. not tablespoon and put it in my yogurt then into my oatmeal.
And if I have sweet potatoe or another oatmeal,protein shake I toss it in those 2. never hed it on squash before sounds pretty good though with the texture cooked right