Author Topic: Trump threatens to VETO new Covid stimulus bill  (Read 4630 times)

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
Re: Trump threatens to VETO new Covid stimulus bill
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2020, 03:57:06 PM »
He should.

We are giving millions to Pakistan for gender studies. ::)

$600 is a slap in the face.

Cut all the pork and give people $2-3k at a minimum.
👍
T

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2020, 04:00:18 PM »
So you think the covid bill that was proposed was a good option for citizens of America?

Hell no. 

Why is OUR stimulus bill helping other countries?  Fuck that shit.  Peel off that pork and use US money for US needs.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2020, 04:03:39 PM »
politicians have chosen the path to lock things down and therefore are responsible for ensuring the welfare as a result of their actions.

Basal income is adjusted over a period of time where it can be balanced out against production from paid jobs. There will be different forms of doing this of which one will be a ‘work subsidy’ for certain industries where they say to employers, if you hire someone for 5 days a week, we will pay for 2 of those days. This is how you keep production intact.

I have to differ. Gifting me 40% of an employee's wage right now, under the current rules, still wouldn't inspire me to hire. And who's kidding whom, that money would come with even more rules. Never underestimate human capacity to be a lazy, unproductive liability. Or the government's willingness to regulate industry into the grave.

The solution to labour relations laws which disincentivise employers and protect workers into unemployment isn't yet more government involvement in the form of "Government Tit."

The solution is to stop intruding on agreements which have nothing to do with them. I'll pay you in accordance with what you accomplish. You'll receive enough to stick around or you'll walk.

We'll settle on a figure which reflects the market value of your labour without some guy standing over us dictating what agreements we're permitted to make between us. Is he in the drywall business? Then how the fuck would he know what a drywaller's labourer is worth on day 1, day 30, or day 365? I can't think of any instance where investing an uninformed person with authority over experts would be a good idea.

Government intervention which artificially varies the value of goods or labour from true market value hinders commerce on aggregate and impinges on individual agency in particular. Don't harm with the left and then help with the right. Just get out of the damn way.

Apparently, I've turned into Peter Schiff.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2020, 04:04:32 PM »
Hell no. 

Why is OUR stimulus bill helping other countries?  Fuck that shit.  Peel off that pork and use US money for US needs.
I keep hearing this "pork" nonsense. What the hell are you guys talking about?

Moontrane

• Getbig V
  • a Harris administration, together with Joe Biden
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2020, 04:08:25 PM »
Hell no. 

I share all of your objections, but the $900B COVID relief is not going to Pakistan, Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, etc.  They’re getting funds from the $1.4T that’s part of the combined 5,500-page spending bill.

So, yeah, why the hell are we spending a dime on other nations while we’re stuck in this covid quagmire?

COVID stimulus should be clean and separate from funding the Federal Gov't.

https://wgntv.com/news/heres-a-look-inside-congress-900b-covid-relief-package/

Dave D

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2020, 04:46:55 PM »
I agree the government wastes our money (at least those of us who pay taxes). They've done it since I can remember. Legislators historically fight for pork that will make their voters happy whether it makes financial sense or not. there are many military bases open this very day that are unnecessary but Senators fight for their continued existence because of the jobs and income they provide. So there is no argument in my view that our government on both sides are guilty of wasting our money.

I also know that Trump confused the Covid Relief package with the Omnibus annual budget. I believe he doesn't know the difference just as I believe many here don't. It's unfortunate they attached the Covid Relief to the regular budget as it causes confusion for many.

I question many of the spending items in the Omnibus budget as well. But I also recognize I don't know or have access to all the information. Why are we sending 100 million to Cambodia for example? What's the original reason? What is the unintended consequences if we stop? Those are questions that need to be asked and answered.

Addressing Trumps 11th hour announcement. He's a twat, he's always been a twat. The Democrats wanted 2000 from the start. They ended up at $600 because that's the best they could get from the Republicans. Trumps representatives were at the table the entire time. They should spoken up then. But then Trump wouldn't get to play hero. So now he's playing golf while this awaits his action. Jerk move all around.

Trump has been President 4 years.. He had the house and senate in the beginning. All these payments he has been complaining about have been going on for years. Why NOW is he so concerned?

Dems can approve $2000 in a little over 3 weeks. If they really "wanted" to make that happen they wouldnt have settled for $600 this far into the pandemic. This is political posturing and pandering.

I agree we dont know what will happen if we dont send $100 million to Cambodia but we will have a pretty good idea of what will happen if our economy collapses and people are evicted from their homes, but let's walk as close to the edge as possible right?

Again why get upset over what Trump is doing over his last few weeks, hes always been vindictive let's not act like this is a big surprise. The Dems will pass this in a month. Cambodia will be fine without the money, because up until this point the American the government has treated it's own people this way.

Dude you were a civil servant, did the police force shut down when budget cuts were implemented? Was your pension affected? Did you receive fewer bullets or were you limited on the amount of mileage you could drive? Or were people with high salaries fired and new hires brought in?

I can tell you what didnt happen, the world didnt end. Cambodia will be fine.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2020, 05:35:27 PM »
Why the $1.3 billion to Egypt?  Which Big Ramy fan tried to pass this bill?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2020, 06:40:34 PM »
I keep hearing this "pork" nonsense. What the hell are you guys talking about?

Haven't you heard? Pigs are infecting people with Covid. (Yeah, this is kind of lame).

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2020, 06:50:07 PM »
Haven't you heard? Pigs are infecting people with Covid. (Yeah, this is kind of lame).

Lame...as in scaremongering?

mac33

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2020, 11:58:55 PM »

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #60 on: December 25, 2020, 12:23:14 AM »
I have to differ. Gifting me 40% of an employee's wage right now, under the current rules, still wouldn't inspire me to hire. And who's kidding whom, that money would come with even more rules. Never underestimate human capacity to be a lazy, unproductive liability. Or the government's willingness to regulate industry into the grave.

The solution to labour relations laws which disincentivise employers and protect workers into unemployment isn't yet more government involvement in the form of "Government Tit."

The solution is to stop intruding on agreements which have nothing to do with them. I'll pay you in accordance with what you accomplish. You'll receive enough to stick around or you'll walk.

We'll settle on a figure which reflects the market value of your labour without some guy standing over us dictating what agreements we're permitted to make between us. Is he in the drywall business? Then how the fuck would he know what a drywaller's labourer is worth on day 1, day 30, or day 365? I can't think of any instance where investing an uninformed person with authority over experts would be a good idea.

Government intervention which artificially varies the value of goods or labour from true market value hinders commerce on aggregate and impinges on individual agency in particular. Don't harm with the left and then help with the right. Just get out of the damn way.

Apparently, I've turned into Peter Schiff.

This is so spot on. That's why we shouldn't even have a minimum wage. A transaction should only be between the buyer and seller, whether it selling or buying shoes or labor.
When you have a third party with zero expertise and bears none of the consequences of the transaction deciding how it should be conducted it's never a good thing or make the transaction more productive, economic, or efficient.

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: December 25, 2020, 10:31:49 AM »
Normally conservatives are frugal but these are extraordinary times.....Trump is flexible, not bound to any ideology and I like that

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: December 25, 2020, 10:50:08 AM »
China should be made to pay compensation.

Their disinformation and lies in the earlier stages led to COVID spreading even more rapidly across borders.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2020, 11:24:34 AM »
This is so spot on. That's why we shouldn't even have a minimum wage. A transaction should only be between the buyer and seller, whether it selling or buying shoes or labor.
When you have a third party with zero expertise and bears none of the consequences of the transaction deciding how it should be conducted it's never a good thing or make the transaction more productive, economic, or efficient.
X2

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2020, 01:02:25 PM »
Normally conservatives are frugal but these are extraordinary times.....Trump is flexible, not bound to any ideology and I like that

I wish I could believe this is about Trump being flexible. The House and the Senate had reached a deal after haggling for far too long. Trump said he'll veto the bill. Now it's back in negotiations....back to square one. Seems more like Trump is creating chaos as usual.

Here's a timeline of what's been going on with the second stimulus check

July 2020 - Senate Republicans and House Democrats have issued competing bills on a possible second stimulus check for Americans.

July 15, 2020 The HEALS Act is the Senate Republican proposal. It has a $1 trillion price tag that also offers another round of $1,200 payments as well as $500 for child and adult dependents alike. It also reduces the amount of additional unemployment Americans would receive from $600 to $200.

August 202 -Why there’s still hope for second $1,200 stimulus checks despite stalled congressional talks.

September 4, 2020 - "Now, we have $300 billion in a—an account that we didn't use—$300 billion. I would be willing to release it, subject to Congress, and use that as stimulus money, and it would go right to the American people. So we have $300 billion sitting in an account that we didn't need because things are going so well with the economy," Trump said during a press conference at the White House.

September 20 - Democratic Senator Catherine Cortez Masto called the bill an "insult to the American people" and said it lacked "critical funding" to individuals, medical facilities and state and local governments.

October 2020 - Donald Trump says stimulus relief negotiations over until after he wins the November 3rd election. 

October 2020 - trump said he was ready to sign a "standalone bill" authorizing distribution of direct stimulus ($1,200) payments to individuals "immediately."

Dec 16, 2020- The likelihood of another payment being approved before the end of the year grows dimmer by the day. Instead, it's more likely that a second stimulus check would arrive in early 2021, despite a chorus of voices that would prefer to include a payment for $600 or $1,200.

Dec 24, 2020 - Trump is delaying the bill and asking Congress to raise the second stimulus check up to $2,000. Payments will not be sent out until the bill gets signed into law.

Dec 25, 2020 - The fate of the $900 billion economic relief package hangs in the balance after House Republicans blocked Democrats from raising stimulus payments for millions of Americans from $600 to $2,000.

Dec 25, 2020 - The second stimulus check payments are in turmoil once again.