Author Topic: Joel Olsteen packets 4 million from Covid relief for small businesses  (Read 685 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
https://wgntv.com/news/joel-osteen-criticized-after-his-houston-megachurch-receives-4-4-million-ppp-loan/

How much will this church that doesn't pay taxes get this time I wonder?

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "What we think, we become." -- Buddha
Re: Joel Olsteen packets 4 million from Covid relief for small businesses
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 04:12:46 AM »
Man of God.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 01:40:25 PM »
Religious houses are businesses and should be taxed as such.

This guy creeps me out.

My ex-GF used to watch his show on Sunday mornings, there is something very off about the guy. Not sure how people can follow his non-sense anymore.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Owner of Teutonic Knight's Feeble Little Mind
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 03:54:51 PM »
Religious houses are businesses and should be taxed as such.

This guy creeps me out.

My ex-GF used to watch his show on Sunday mornings, there is something very off about the guy. Not sure how people can follow his non-sense anymore.

It's not just him.  It's any and all of them fuckers.  Absolutely, they should be taxed.  All of them. 

ThisisOverload

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 01:50:21 PM »
It's not just him.  It's any and all of them fuckers.  Absolutely, they should be taxed.  All of them.

Agreed.

There is a TON of money in religion.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 10:16:33 AM »
Should all non profits be taxed as well?

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Owner of Teutonic Knight's Feeble Little Mind
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 04:32:45 PM »
Should all non profits be taxed as well?

I'm not sure.  But my gut says no, all non profits should not be taxed.  I'm no expert in this field but I think non profits have to go public with their records.  Not sure churches have the same accountability. 

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 02:28:03 AM »
I'm not sure.  But my gut says no, all non profits should not be taxed.  I'm no expert in this field but I think non profits have to go public with their records.  Not sure churches have the same accountability.
Churches don't pay tax on their increase but Joel Osteen and any other pastor is required to pay on the income they are given by the church.  Any employee of the church pays tax just like anyone at a private or public company.  I don't think most people on here realize that.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 12:05:48 AM »
Churches don't pay tax on their increase but Joel Osteen and any other pastor is required to pay on the income they are given by the church.  Any employee of the church pays tax just like anyone at a private or public company.  I don't think most people on here realize that.

That's an interesting point. But having a little experience will an LLC I can imagine there are a million ways to funnel the income to Joel and avoid additional taxes.. Expense accounts etc..

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 02:31:05 AM »
That's an interesting point. But having a little experience will an LLC I can imagine there are a million ways to funnel the income to Joel and avoid additional taxes.. Expense accounts etc..
He can probably lease a car through the church and the church could own the house as well.  The problem is that the board of directors could vote him out and he would have nothing.  I'm sure he gets audited every year as well.