Author Topic: Pre-Contest - Last 2 Days (Carb-Up Days)  (Read 14185 times)

Natty_by_Nature

• Getbig II
Pre-Contest - Last 2 Days (Carb-Up Days)
« on: April 21, 2006, 04:06:08 AM »
Has anyone every used dehydrated fruits during the last 2 days prior to a competition for carbing up after depletion and if so, how did it work?  Any and all feed back would be greatly appreciated.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
Re: Pre-Contest - Last 2 Days (Carb-Up Days)
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 08:05:25 AM »
I've never done it but may try this year.  If you go by the science and are doing a three day load up you would actually want the dried fruits the first day (Thursday) along with other simple sugars-white potatoes, white rice.  When I heard this I thought it went against my common sense but supposedly in the first day after you have depleted your muscles quickly soak up these simple carbs.  In the following 2 day you should stick to complex carbs (sweet potatoes, brown rice and oatmeal).  My suggestion is if you feel flat Friday night/Saturday morning you may try some whole wheat pancakes with some syrup.  If you are looking on don't f with it:) 

Saturday of the show be sure to bring some simple sugars with you incase you are still feeling flat...jelly/honey/dried fruit as well as more complex carbs. 

Hope this helps, anyone else with exprience feel free to chime in.
Jennifer

Natty_by_Nature

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 08:54:30 AM »
Jennifer thanks for the reply.  I've done 4 shows so far and seem to look my best a week out.  Those last 2 days I tend to flatten out.  I have done the sweet potato overdose to keep carbs high as by Thursday and Friday the chicken's becoming difficult to get down, especially with the limited water intake.

The dehydrated fruit seems to make sense.  Lots of sugars without the water.

My last show was the INBF Northeast America in 2004 and I chose to NOT carb deplete for the first time.  I felt better not going thru the carb depletion Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday but thought I could have been harder and fuller.  I know the water comes into play when carbing up those last 2 days (Thursday & Friday).  I have 2 quarts Thursday and 1 quart Friday and must finish it by 5 p.m.  I do have the pancakes and syrup the morning of the show.  It's kind of a reward of sorts for the hard work and sacrifice up to that point.  I was checking out your website and you look awesome.  Have you been competing for a while?  How many shows have you done?  Anyway, thanks again for the feed-back.  Maybe others will add to the post.

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 08:59:57 AM »
Beast, what shows are you preparing for?

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 09:22:02 AM »
For my protein, which is not too high on my carb-up days I will do scrambled egg whites which seem to be easier to down then chicken.

Trying to get down what works for you is soo tough, you've worked so hard for months and then lose it at the last moment...hopefully by trying a few different things you will find what works for your body.  Have you tried eating a steak on Friday/Saturday along with the pancakes to fill out a little?  I know you boys are different and take more to fill out, maybe something greasy would help.  Also, how many carbs are you taking in thurs, fri, sat?

Thanks for the compliments, I started competing last year and did 4 show, May-June ending withan eye-opening Jr. Nationals.  Took off since last summer, put on 25 pounds and hit the weight room, hard.  This year I hope to be at least 8 pounds heavier on stage.  I'm doing 2 local shows to warm-up, then have up to 3 National Level shows.  Not sure if I can afford all of them yet but I'll try to make it happen if I must. 

My shows Viking:
NGA-Peoria May13 (smaller local natural show, the promoter is a great guy)
NPC-Illinois State (possible local show) May 27
NPC-Jr. National's, Chicago June 16 - National show
NPC-National Figure Champioinships, New York July 14 - National show
NPC-USA Figure, Vegas July 30 - National show
Jennifer

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 05:34:32 PM »
I'm planning on doing the NGA one in Peoria on the 13th, so I'll see you there.  Best of luck to you!

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 10:30:47 PM »
I'm planning on doing the NGA one in Peoria on the 13th, so I'll see you there.  Best of luck to you!

That is cool, you will have to say hi to me.  What wieght class are you?  I can't wait only 3 more weeks!!!
Jennifer

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 05:45:17 AM »
I suppose that depends on the deliniations of the NGA, but I'll should be around 190lbs, so I'm thinking that is usually the light heavies.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 09:36:00 AM »
I suppose that depends on the deliniations of the NGA, but I'll should be around 190lbs, so I'm thinking that is usually the light heavies.

Your a big guy...I am guessing you may be a heavy weight for the NGA-I just checked it heavies are over 189.25 just in case you need to drop that extra pound:)
Jennifer

Natty_by_Nature

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 10:28:47 AM »
Also, how many carbs are you taking in Thurs, Fri, sat?

I try to consume 300 grams of carb on Thursday and Friday.  I stay away from egg whites & steak because of the sodium although I've never given it a try.  Egg whites and steak would be a nice change.  My fear is the extra sodium will cause me to hold water and smooth me out.

Best of luck on the 13th of May and with the other shows.  Let us know how you do and post more of those pics :)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 01:30:33 PM »

I try to consume 300 grams of carb on Thursday and Friday.  I stay away from egg whites & steak because of the sodium although I've never given it a try.  Egg whites and steak would be a nice change.  My fear is the extra sodium will cause me to hold water and smooth me out.

Best of luck on the 13th of May and with the other shows.  Let us know how you do and post more of those pics :)

Me...I will probably do 250/250/200 for my carb intake this year, last year I did a slower load which I didn't like (75/150/250/300) I am going to try a faster more dramatic load this time.  When is your show?

Before this year I didn't sodium load/deplete so I didn't worry about it, but you are right, don't mess with anything other then chicken/turkey unless you wake up really flat Saturday, then you may want to try steak. 

I will definitely post some more pics when I get them, thanks for the support! 
Jennifer

FitChic78

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 01:41:45 PM »

I don't think you would have any problems with bloating/water retention if you did the complete schedule. Cut out all the sodium on Monday all the way until your show. Spices are OK but in moderation. Then you would cut your water intake to 3/4 GL on Wed, 1/2 on Thur and 1/4 on Fri. No water on Sat. So before the show you would snack on Oatmeal but dry, maybe like a tabelspoon of water to just have it to the paste consistency. On Friday night get a huge (depending on your seize 8-10 oz) steak with a big baked potato veggies a large salad. ALL PLAIN, not even a spice on anything...I think that should do you good and make you look all ready with full muscles while retaining that tight look. But again, if you never tried loading/depletion in the past, maybe you should go with what has worked for you before since only you can know how your body will react to such modifications....

Natty_by_Nature

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 04:01:34 AM »
I don't think you would have any problems with bloating/water retention if you did the complete schedule. Cut out all the sodium on Monday all the way until your show. Spices are OK but in moderation. Then you would cut your water intake to 3/4 GL on Wed, 1/2 on Thur and 1/4 on Fri. No water on Sat. So before the show you would snack on Oatmeal but dry, maybe like a tablespoon of water to just have it to the paste consistency. On Friday night get a huge (depending on your seize 8-10 oz) steak with a big baked potato veggies a large salad. ALL PLAIN, not even a spice on anything...I think that should do you good and make you look all ready with full muscles while retaining that tight look. But again, if you never tried loading/depletion in the past, maybe you should go with what has worked for you before since only you can know how your body will react to such modifications....

Thanks for the advise.  It sounds pretty good.  How about the dehydrated fruits?  Have you ever loaded with those?

I'm not planning on a show this year.  Spring of 2007 will be my next.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 02:50:17 PM »
I actually really disagree with the sodium thing.  You should increase your sodium intake from Sunday until Wednesday (if your show is on Saturday) then cut it as completely as you can as your body will recognize cuts in sodium after 2 days and will start retaining water. 
Jennifer

FitChic78

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 06:02:14 PM »
Thanks for the advise.  It sounds pretty good.  How about the dehydrated fruits?  Have you ever loaded with those?

I'm not planning on a show this year.  Spring of 2007 will be my next.

Well, I am not sure what you meant by dehydrated fruit. So can't comment on that...Maybe you could clarify...

As far as Jen's opinion, well I am not here to argue, so I will leave it at that. In my post, however, I stated that if what I described or similar technique hasn't been tried, then maybe that person should do what they know had worked for them in the past. That is what worked for me and what my trainer had me do as well as other girls he preps for shows. I also know other pros who have used the same routine but do agree though that some prefer to load on sodium till the last day or two and then drop it completely. The bottom line is just like with anything in BB, it is trial and error and there is no one formula fits all type of thing here

Natty_by_Nature

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 04:33:38 AM »
FitChic, I was referring to real fruits (pineapple, banana's & apples) that are put into a dehydrating machine that basically sucks out all the water from the fruit but leaves everything else in them including their natural sugars.  It seems to make sense to eat them to carb up as they will have those sugars but won't contain sodium or water.

As for the sodium thing Beast, I suppose maybe I should do some trials to see how my body reacts to your regiment (prior to my next show of course).  I've done 4 shows to date and was taught by Perry Tolbert who's been competing naturally for many years and he always told me to cut the sodium like this:

Saturday (1 week out) - 1000 mgs
Sunday - 500 mgs
Monday & Tuesday - 100 mgs

And then starting Wednesday, 0 mgs of sodium until after the show.

I think I could peak better if I could figure out the sodium, carb and water combination that will put me full and hard on contest morning.  I've looked pretty good but felt like I could be fuller.  Perry has always told me that the sodium will cause your body to hold water between the skin and muscle causing you to look smooth.  The idea is to have that underlying water removed and crammed into the muscle cells instead.  Once I figure out what works best for me, I'll do better.

BTW, on an unrelated subject, when I do a copy/paste from someoone else's post, how do I get it into that blue box?

Thanks again for all the help.

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 02:11:28 PM »

BTW, on an unrelated subject, when I do a copy/paste from someoone else's post, how do I get it into that blue box?

Thanks again for all the help.

If you look at the top right hand of the converstion box there is an QUOTE button.  Just push that and a normal post box appears with the quote preseeded and followed by html coding, write under the message (after [/quote]) and the blue box with the quote will appear above your writing after posting.
Jennifer

Natty_by_Nature

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 03:56:53 AM »
If you look at the top right hand of the converstion box there is an QUOTE button.  Just push that and a normal post box appears with the quote preseeded and followed by html coding, write under the message (after ) and the blue box with the quote will appear above your writing after posting.
Thank you Jennifer for your help.  If you think about it after your show, let me know how the dehydrated fruit works if you try it.

OakExpress

• Getbig II
  • Amateur Natural Bodybuilder
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 09:58:42 AM »
I still haven't figured out what is right for me on carb up.  I think each person reacts differently.  I have started to hold to the rule, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If you look great on Wednesday, why do something dramatically different on Thursday, Friday and Saturday?

I think some people decide to follow a fixed formula rather than examining their condition.  If you look full on Wednesday morning, should you do a big load?  Probably not.  If you look flat, probably so.

Of the shows I've done, two of them have gone something like this.
1) Sun, Mon, Tue - very low carb, depleting muscle glycogen via low weight/high rep circuit training
2) Wed - keep sodium in during AM and load with high glycemic, simple carbs.  Back to normal diet in the afternoon with minimal sodium.  My understaning is that sodium is needed during the load (shuttling carbs into the muscle) that is why I have it during the AM with the high glycemic carbs.
3) For the remainder, continue eating clean food (yams, brown rice, fresh meat and chicken, oatmeal) with minimal sodium.

On Saturday I often look a little smooth.  I'm not sure what to attribute that to.  The only thing that has really changed is my water.  I cut the water in the evening (total of about 1/2 - 3/4 gallon on Friday).

When I'm drinking full force, I tend to look dry and tight in the AM.  Grrr...

Any advice?
Romans 1:20

Gottastayfit

• Getbig II
  • Obsessed is how the lazy describe the dedicated.
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 07:14:40 AM »
Just found out the hard way that I can't carb up... looked sharp and ready Friday morning, began to carb up and by Sat morning had smoothed out. I'm figure so being tight is important, taking in carbs made me hold water under the skin. Trial and error!  :-\

Good luck!
Patricia