Author Topic: Workout/Routine advice from the GetBig community  (Read 24909 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Workout/Routine advice from the GetBig community
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2021, 10:45:58 AM »
5 min airdyne
2 sets warmups:
Half kneel landmine RDL
Quadrupled rock back into squat
Bird dog
Jumping good morning

Plyo:
5 sets of single leg bounds for 12M / 1 min rest

Strength:
Front squats: 5 x 2...build to max set of two to set baseline

Accessory:
3 Giant sets:
Goblet squat x 8
Soren hold x 45 sec (basically holding horizontal part of a hyper)
Death march x 12M  Step forward, touch dumbells to floor next to front foot, keeping both feet flat)

Conditioning:
6 sets - 20 meter sled push every 90 sec with 1.5x bodyweight

Recovery:
Various stretches

Nice - im about to buy a sorinex or rogue sled

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2021, 10:49:50 AM »
Nice - im about to buy a sorinex or rogue sled

I have the Prowler Econ.  It's awesome.

If I had the chance, I would go the Rogue Dog sled route, or any sled that lets you remove the poles and put them in the other side.

That enables you to change direction without spinning the sled, which is ideal for me because the turf in my basement is 40x6 and I have to spin it when I reach the end, or push backwards on the super low part.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2021, 10:52:19 AM »
I have the Prowler Econ.  It's awesome.

If I had the chance, I would go the Rogue Dog sled route, or any sled that lets you remove the poles and put them in the other side.

That enables you to change direction without spinning the sled, which is ideal for me because the turf in my basement is 40x6 and I have to spin it when I reach the end, or push backwards on the super low part.

My main criteria is where its made.  Trying to buy only Made in USA.   F China and those commie pos.  Rogue and Sorinex sleds made in USA

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2021, 10:59:35 AM »
My main criteria is where its made.  Trying to buy only Made in USA.   F China and those commie pos.  Rogue and Sorinex sleds made in USA

Prowler is by Elite FTS, which I believe is USA made.
Y

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2021, 11:00:05 AM »
Prowler is by Elite FTS, which I believe is USA made.

Ill check it out.   ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2021, 11:52:12 AM »
I never understood how dumbell pullovers involve any pecs at all. Serratus maybe could be seen as lower pec area, but not really. How are the pectoralis divisions lengthened or shortened here? When you do pullovers hard you get sore back and triceps, but triceps are worked through a very short range, mostly isometrically. Pullovers kinda feel good, nice stretch for the spine, like laying on a roller.  :D

Maybe I missed something and someone could explain. ???

If you don't know, I would have no clue.

Unless I looked up the mechanics to it and how it works the pecs, then I wouldn't be able to tell you.

Either way, it just didn't feel right after about 1-2 months of going at it, so I stopped. No pain or injury came from it, but it felt awkward.

"1"

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2021, 12:34:49 PM »
Called in a favor - got this bad boy on the way.  My neighbors not gonna like scrapping souunds at 4:30 am but F em.     

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: March 25, 2021, 01:38:07 PM »
You said it!

For chest, I use seated (machine) presses, which is essentially just a flat bench motion but seated upright. I also use the pec deck. But, what I will add is that I do weighted machine dips (with the machine in which you can invert the handles as to make it work chest vs triceps, and it's been very effective in hitting my chest.

For a few months I was doing dumbbell pullovers and felt it was doing a lot for my chest, but the awkward angle/position made me stray away from it. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I did ask a few personal trainers and a physical therapist about it and they all said I was fine, guess it didn't vibe with me as much.

"1"

If your gym has a pullover machine, give it a try. If nothing else it is a good finisher at the end of a pectoral workout. Also, have you tried seated machine dips?

Machine flys also provide a good and relatively safe pec exercise.

Dual Pectoral Fly/Rear Deltoid

Nautilus IPP03 Inspiration Pullover

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: March 25, 2021, 01:41:19 PM »
Also, have you tried seated machine dips?

That's the same machine I was talking about in my post you quoted.

"1"

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2021, 01:52:37 PM »
Called in a favor - got this bad boy on the way.  My neighbors not gonna like scrapping souunds at 4:30 am but F em.     

That is sweet.
Y

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: March 25, 2021, 01:59:19 PM »

Yeah....until they call the noise police on you.  ;D

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2021, 02:01:39 PM »
If your gym has a pullover machine, give it a try. If nothing else it is a good finisher at the end of a pectoral workout. Also, have you tried seated machine dips?

In a shocking development I’m gonna have to agree with you on this one. I believe if an older lifter is going to do dips better with the machine as opposed to using your entire bodyweight which can be too rough on the shoulder joint and your wrists.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2021, 02:05:21 PM »
In a shocking development I’m gonna have to agree with you on this one. I believe if an older lifter is going to do dips better with the machine as opposed to using your entire bodyweight which can be too rough on the shoulder joint and your wrists.

What a shocker!  ;D

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: March 25, 2021, 02:29:05 PM »
If you don't know, I would have no clue.

Unless I looked up the mechanics to it and how it works the pecs, then I wouldn't be able to tell you.

Either way, it just didn't feel right after about 1-2 months of going at it, so I stopped. No pain or injury came from it, but it felt awkward.

"1"

Seek and ye shall find:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/51695295_Effects_of_the_Pullover_Exercise_on_the_Pectoralis_Major_and_Latissimus_Dorsi_Muscles_as_Evaluated_by_EMG

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: March 25, 2021, 02:34:44 PM »
You said it!

For chest, I use seated (machine) presses, which is essentially just a flat bench motion but seated upright. I also use the pec deck. But, what I will add is that I do weighted machine dips (with the machine in which you can invert the handles as to make it work chest vs triceps, and it's been very effective in hitting my chest.

For a few months I was doing dumbbell pullovers and felt it was doing a lot for my chest, but the awkward angle/position made me stray away from it. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I did ask a few personal trainers and a physical therapist about it and they all said I was fine, guess it didn't vibe with me as much.

"1"

The problem I had with dumbbell pullovers is that unless you are super careful they can pull your shoulder out very easily. I actually had a partial dislocation caused by them. So much easier to do dips of some sort or decline bench.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: March 25, 2021, 02:50:30 PM »

The problem I had with dumbbell pullovers is that unless you are super careful they can pull your shoulder out very easily. I actually had a partial dislocation caused by them. So much easier to do dips of some sort or decline bench.

There's a few exercises that require very strict form and sensibly light-weight. When folks go heavy is often when they lose control of the movement and end up with an injury.

I've done dumbbell pullovers with no problem. But then, since middle age, I focus more on form than on strength. I've never once had an injury from working out over the last 55 years. I also tried barbell pullovers for lats but they were uncomfortable, so I stopped. It probably has something to do with the position of the hands and how it rotates the arms outward.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: March 25, 2021, 02:56:48 PM »
There's a few exercises that require very strict form and sensibly light-weight. When folks go heavy is often when they lose control of the movement and end up with an injury.

I've done dumbbell pullovers with no problem. But then, since middle age, I focus more on form than on strength. I've never once had an injury from working out over the last 55 years. I also tried barbell pullovers but they were uncomfortable, so I stopped. It probably has something to do with the position of the hands and how it rotates the arms outward.

What happens as you get older as a weight lifter is you realize that being injury free is the number one goal, haha.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #118 on: March 25, 2021, 03:07:47 PM »
If your gym has a pullover machine, give it a try. If nothing else it is a good finisher at the end of a pectoral workout.
]

I use the Hammer Strength pullover machine. There is zero pectoral involvement, zero. With dumbells I can see why people might think it's pecs as you hold the dumbell over your chest, very minor stabilizing by pecs. Some also do the lowering to the chest thing  :D
But on the machine it's all back.

I did the dumbell pullovers starting out, 30 reps with the heaviest dumbell, which was 100lbs at my gym, lying cross bench at the end of some back sessions. I really lowered my hips. I think I got a umbilical hernia from it and I knew it was a tricep tear waiting to happen  :D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: March 25, 2021, 03:10:59 PM »
Yeah....until they call the noise police on you.  ;D

Lol.   The cops know me everywhere.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #120 on: March 25, 2021, 03:15:56 PM »

Seek and ye shall find:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/51695295_Effects_of_the_Pullover_Exercise_on_the_Pectoralis_Major_and_Latissimus_Dorsi_Muscles_as_Evaluated_by_EMG

I don't think that those EMG results are worth anything.
Wpuld you agree that machine pullovers are all back? Now what happens when you use a barbell or dumbell instead? Only part where I can see any pec involvement is when you are holding the weight over your chest. No one catches a chest pump or gets sore pecs from pullovers. Serratus maybe, pecs no. Pec is when you move your humerus across your body no?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #121 on: March 25, 2021, 03:26:46 PM »
I definitely don't want to scrimp on the floor covering.  I've got this vision of training barefoot in the Summer, like the old black and white pics of them in Golds Gym - would never consider that in the public places I've trained in (decorum, dontcha know)

We've asked for a couple of options - one of which puts the infrastructure for toilet and shower, etc. and one without - so we could always go back from it being a gym to a flat if we want.  But I reckon we'll keep it simple - that way we can't suddenly be forced to use it for a relative or something (what a b@stard!)

And my interpretation of this made me LOL  ;D

You're in Oz, right?

Yep, went country so got 6 acres to play with. I spend a lot of time on the road but it was cheap and I really don't dig living close to others.

Am dedicating the master bedroom and walkout section which will give me about 10x4 meters. My mats are only 4x4 for the foreseeable future but I bought 20 which would permit 6x6 with two spares.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: March 25, 2021, 03:38:02 PM »
Lol.   The cops know me everywhere.

Ha, ha. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

A motorcycle cop ticketed me for making a right turn on a red light, which is legal in Oregon. I decided to fight the ticket. The cop actually showed up and testified saying instead that I'd run a red light. The judge said to the cop, "That's not what you wrote on the ticket," adding, "I know that intersection well. Case dismissed."

I hoped I never saw this cop again. This happened at least a decade ago. So far, so good.  :)

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: March 25, 2021, 03:55:29 PM »
I don't think that those EMG results are worth anything.
Wpuld you agree that machine pullovers are all back? Now what happens when you use a barbell or dumbell instead? Only part where I can see any pec involvement is when you are holding the weight over your chest. No one catches a chest pump or gets sore pecs from pullovers. Serratus maybe, pecs no. Pec is when you move your humerus across your body no?

EMG is  an objective measurement to quantify a phenomenon, taking it out of the realm of subjective feeling and into the realm of data you can replicate. How else would you begin to form a scientific study of muscular action? Magnetic resonance imaging has been used but is very time consuming.

If I do pullovers with the dumbbell far below my head, back arched,  I feel it all across my pectorals for about half the movement. As I wrote earlier, you have to be very careful with that movement though because you can easily shift the focus away from the chest or lats and into the shoulder girdle, causing injury.  I no longer do them because I find dips hit my chest perfectly and arched back chins hit my lats perfectly - all pain free.

The pecs do a lot more than just pull your arm across the body:

https://www.knowyourbody.net/pectoralis-major.html

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #124 on: March 25, 2021, 03:59:34 PM »

That dip machine and the nautilus pull over are examples of perfection regarding an exercise machine. I only tried that dip machine on vacation and I was so impressed with it. I love the way the back is angled forward to keep you in the seat.