Author Topic: Peloton recalls all treadmills after a child's death and 70 injuries  (Read 917 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Peloton recalls all treadmills after a child's death and 70 injuries
by Chris Isidore and Jordan Valinsky

Peloton recalled its Tread+ and Tread treadmills Wednesday, and the company admitted it was wrong to fight the Consumer Product Safety Commission's request that it do so.

About 125,000 treadmills are included in the recall. The CPSC said that there has been one child death and 70 other injuries tied to the treadmills. But when the federal safety agency issued a warning about the dangers last month, Peloton took the unusual step of refusing to recall them.

"I want to be clear, Peloton made a mistake in our initial response to the CPSC's request," said Peloton CEO John Foley. "We should have engaged more productively with them from the outset. For that, I apologize."

In a statement, CPSC's acting chairman Robert Adler said that the announcement was the "result of weeks of intense negotiation and effort, culminating in a cooperative agreement that I believe serves the best interests of Peloton and of consumers."

Wednesday's recall covers the $4,295 Tread+ as well as Peloton's cheaper Tread, which costs $2,495. That machine hasn't yet been released in the United States. Peloton pulled both machines off its website Wednesday.

The reversal comes more than two weeks after the US agency issued an "urgent warning" for users of the machine. At the time, the CPSC said it was aware of at least 39 accidents involving the treadmill, including "multiple reports of children becoming entrapped, pinned, and pulled under" the device.

The CPSC released a video showing a small child playing with a powered-on treadmill while it lifts off the ground and the child becomes pinned under it. The agency released details of other incidents, including a child being injured when an adult was using it and "pets and objects" also being sucked beneath the treadmill suggesting "possible harm to the user if the user loses balance as a result."

Peloton refuted the agency, saying at the time its warning was "inaccurate and misleading." In a stark reversal, Foley admitted Wednesday that decision was a mistake.

Foley said Peloton will work with the CPSC to "set new industry safety standards for treadmills" because the company has a "desire and a responsibility to be an industry leader in product safety."

In response, Consumer Reports said the recall is "welcome news," but the delay left customers in danger.

"The CPSC took a strong and principled stance for safety, and clearly that's what made Peloton come to the table and agree to offer a full refund," said William Wallace, Consumer Reports' manager of safety policy, in a release. "It shouldn't have required so much time and effort to get this product recalled."

The nonprofit consumer watchdog group initially called Peloton's response, or lack there of, "outrageous."

Shares of Peloton (PTON) hit a seven-month low, falling 12% on the news. The company reports earnings Thursday afternoon.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
$4,295 for a treadmill. It's a lot cheaper to just run down the street.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Does this mean no more commercials of the chick with the great ass?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
I am very sorry that infants and children have been harmed (one killed) while getting on or near a Pelaton but I do not blame the company.  The parents are to blame!  ANY treadmill (or bike, or other exercise equipment) is a potential hazard if not used properly; infants and small children should not have access to these unsupervised.  You can see video online of a child being sucked under the treadmill and it is horrifying to watch but this is what happens when you try to substitute a video camera for actual parenting. 

A child that small should not be left unattended—ever—but especially not with heavy exercise equipment left running.  Over the years we have seen or read about big TVs, bookcases, etc falling onto children and in every case it involves a curious child climbing up onto the furniture when no parent is present.  “I only turned my back for a second.”  Well that is what happens when you turn your back.  Take personal responsibility and stop blaming the maker of the treadmill, the bookcase, the piece of furniture, the TV, etc.  Ditto goes for infants falling into the pool and (nearly) drowning, while mom and dad were not paying attention.  WTF were you doing that was more important than watching your child?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
That house is a cluttered dump.

Jizmonkey

• Getbig III
Trade it in for ar-15.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
I am very sorry that infants and children have been harmed (one killed) while getting on or near a Pelaton but I do not blame the company.  The parents are to blame!  ANY treadmill (or bike, or other exercise equipment) is a potential hazard if not used properly; infants and small children should not have access to these unsupervised.  You can see video online of a child being sucked under the treadmill and it is horrifying to watch but this is what happens when you try to substitute a video camera for actual parenting. 

A child that small should not be left unattended—ever—but especially not with heavy exercise equipment left running.  Over the years we have seen or read about big TVs, bookcases, etc falling onto children and in every case it involves a curious child climbing up onto the furniture when no parent is present.  “I only turned my back for a second.”  Well that is what happens when you turn your back.  Take personal responsibility and stop blaming the maker of the treadmill, the bookcase, the piece of furniture, the TV, etc.  Ditto goes for infants falling into the pool and (nearly) drowning, while mom and dad were not paying attention.  WTF were you doing that was more important that watching your child?

Agreed.

Seems we can't protect people from ignorance anymore.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Does this mean no more commercials of the chick with the great ass?

Without this income stream a lot of those Peloton girls would have to rely solely on turning tricks.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
That said, I agree with BGM. If you have a treadmill around small children it should be unplugged when not in use.

I’ve seen adults, mostly women, go flying off treadmills.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Brian had a probation officer but wasnt a criminal

Dokey111

• Getbig V
Re: Peloton recalls all treadmills after a child's death and 70 injuries
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 06:40:37 PM »
Women make the worst mothers

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 09:36:41 AM »
Without this income stream a lot of those Peloton girls would have to rely solely on turning tricks.
She's spent too much time with Peloton.  Needs to eat a sandwich.

Body-Buildah

• Getbig V
  • Creepy Joe Touches Kids
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 10:09:48 AM »
She's spent too much time with Peloton.  Needs to eat a sandwich.

Would need to see her cheeks to comment more.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 01:45:51 PM »
Women make the worst mothers

LOL  ;D

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek