Author Topic: What can I take OTC for blood high bood pressure?  (Read 11916 times)

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
What can I take OTC for blood high bood pressure?
« on: April 22, 2006, 12:39:38 PM »
I was thinking a 500mg time realesed niacin at night... Any other ideas would be appreciated... Already taking daily vitamins and liver support.
grundle has no sack,

D-Jay

• Getbig II
Re: What can I take OTC for blood high bood pressure?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 05:31:59 PM »
I've heard Coenzyme Q-10 in dosages of 100-300 mg can be good also.  I'm no expert, but some also say garlic can have a positive affect on blood pressure....maybe google it

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 06:33:15 PM »
Try Hawthorne Berry.

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 09:21:18 AM »
I dont want high blood pressure, looking for OTC to lower it.
grundle has no sack,

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 10:31:57 AM »
I dont want high blood pressure, looking for OTC to lower it.

That's why I recommended Hawthorne Berry. It's supposed to help lower BP.

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 10:59:57 AM »
ok got it.. what do you think of 500mg niacin time realesed at night time before bed?
grundle has no sack,

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 11:06:54 AM »
ok got it.. what do you think of 500mg niacin time realesed at night time before bed?

Can't say I've ever tried it.

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 05:09:42 PM »
has anyone heard of the niacin working?
grundle has no sack,

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 05:42:28 PM »
has anyone heard of the niacin working?

I have never heard of niacin for blood pressure - cholesterol yes - but not BP.
Plus, you would not like the niacin flush  :P
:

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 05:49:59 PM »
time realesed doesnt cause the flush... plus i take it at night, the bottle says blood pressure.. any other ideas?
grundle has no sack,

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 07:11:48 PM »
time realesed doesnt cause the flush... plus i take it at night, the bottle says blood pressure.. any other ideas?

You may want to look into arginine, garlic, L-Arginine.  Of course fish oil  :-*
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 07:59:08 PM »
the bottle says blood pressure..

???

What are your numbers and your age?
:

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 09:28:10 AM »
???

What are your numbers and your age?

155 over 100... but they did say it could be wrong because of the cuff not being big enough.
grundle has no sack,

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 09:29:03 AM »
i'm 22
grundle has no sack,

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2006, 09:29:42 AM »
and i workout, no salt... unless its the sodium already in the food. and i eat fairly healthy.
grundle has no sack,

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 11:11:38 AM »
155 over 100... but they did say it could be wrong because of the cuff not being big enough.

Who is "they"?  A doctor?  If so, find another dr.  That is extremely high, especially at your age.  HUGE red flag buddy ~ not to scare you, but you need to have it checked out.

Meanwhile, avoid the salt AND alcohol.

oh, and if and when you're lifting heavy, DO NOT hold your breath.

:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 11:19:30 AM »
FYI

What happens inside your body if high blood pressure is not controlled?
You've probably heard that high blood pressure can contribute to heart disease, stroke and kidney failure. You may understand the risk better if you can visualize what's going on inside your body.

Simply put, when your blood pressure is high, your heart has to work harder than normal, which puts both the heart and the arteries under a greater strain.

Your heart

If you work hard lifting weights, your arm muscles will enlarge. In the same way, when the heart has to work harder for an extended time, it tends to enlarge. When your blood pressure is too high, your heart has to work progressively harder to pump enough blood and oxygen to your body's organs and tissues to meet their needs. The heart muscle stretches and thickens, and the heart stops functioning properly. A significantly enlarged heart has a hard time meeting the demands put on it and can fail.

Your arteries

Arteries are the vessels which carry blood throughout your body. When your blood pressure is too high, the arteries become scarred, hardened and less elastic. This occurs to some degree in all of us as we age, but elevated blood pressure speeds this process, which is called 'hardening of the arteries' or atherosclerosis.

Hardened or narrowed arteries may be unable to supply the amount of blood the body's organs need. If the organs don't get enough oxygen and nutrients, they can't function properly. There is also a risk that a blood clot may lodge in an artery narrowed by atherosclerosis, depriving part of the body of its normal blood supply.

If the arteries that supply blood to the heart become clogged, blood flow to parts of the heart is slowed. When one vessel is completely closed off, blood ceases to flow to part of the heart, and portions of the heart muscle are damaged. This is a heart attack.

Narrowing of the arteries may also cause chest pain, called angina pectoris. Narrowing of the arteries in the legs causes cramping and pain because the tissues are not getting enough oxygen.

Your brain

Stroke may be caused by the progressive narrowing of the blood vessels in the brain. When blood flow becomes inadequate, brain cells are robbed of oxygen, and they die. Narrowing of the vessels also leads to a situation where a blood clot cannot move through the arteries; it blocks the flow of blood and deprives the tissue beyond of oxygen. About 80% of strokes are caused by the blockage of an artery in the neck or brain.

People who suffer a stroke often are left with paralysis on one side of the body and loss of speech.

A stroke is an emergency just as is a heart attack. Its symptoms are:

# Weakness, numbness or paralysis of the face, arm or leg – particularly on one side of the body
# Difficulty speaking or understanding simple statements
# Blurred or decreased vision in one or both eyes
# Sudden, unexplainable and intense headache
# Dizziness, loss of balance or loss of coordination, especially when combined with another symptom
# Sudden nausea, fever and vomiting – distinguished from a viral illness by the speed of onset (minutes or hours vs. several days)
# Brief loss of consciousness or period of decreased consciousness (fainting, confusion, convulsions or coma).

Your kidneys

High blood pressure can cause narrowing of the arteries in the kidneys – just as in other parts of your body – which can lead to kidney failure.
The primary function of the kidneys is to filter toxic chemicals from your blood. This process is accomplished in specialized structures inside the kidneys. The blood pressure of the vessels inside these filtering structures is critical for their proper functioning.

When the arteries are narrowed and thickened by high blood pressure, blood flow to the filtering structures is reduced, and they cease to function properly. The amount of fluid that the kidneys can filter is reduced, leading to kidney failure. Toxic materials build up in the body. People with kidney failure need to undergo dialysis – use of a machine as an artificial kidney – and may ultimately need a kidney transplant.

The kidney has its own feedback mechanism to maintain optimum blood pressure to assure its proper functioning. When this internal mechanism senses that blood pressure is too low, it tries to compensate by raising blood pressure, which begins a deadly spiral of higher and higher pressure.

Your eyes

As in other parts of your body, the blood vessels inside your eyes may also narrow and harden due to uncontrolled high blood pressure. This can cause clot formation and bleeding inside the eye, which leads to vision impairment and even blindness.

Sources:

* NHLBI (National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, NIH): 'High Blood Pressure: Treat It for Life.'
    * AHA: 'High Blood Pressure, Why It Is Bad.'
    * Marvin Moser, MD: 'High Blood Pressure and What You Can Do About It' (distributed by NHLBI)
    * NINDS (National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, NIH): 'Stroke.'

:

JamieX4200

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2006, 04:37:36 PM »
i think its from the tren i'm running cause i eat healthy and i dont like salt.
grundle has no sack,

toodzl4u

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 05:01:46 AM »
Your crazy if you let this go unchecked. You need to seek professonal help with this.  Didn't you say on another thread that there is a history of high blood pressure in your family?  If so you are prone but at this point your blood pressure is way too high to go without outside help.  You also need to be clean with your Dr about the tren and anything else OTC or not(although tren is not going to be the cause) in order to get some real help. Again you are way too young to be having the issues you are having they are only going to amplify as you get older.

The Jackel

• Getbig IV
  • Eat, Sleep, Train
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 05:06:08 AM »

Jamie, your blood pressure is not extremely high, but should be monitored closely.  If they (Dr. or nurse) are using a cuff that is too small then the reading is typically higher, so get a lager cuff.  The second thing is; what is causing the BP to be high.  Is it hereditary, or are there family members that are treated for high BP, also are you retaining water.  There are some meds such as hydrochlorothiazide (Rx) that are diuretics that can lower BP, but if water retention is not your problem then it is probably more genetic and you will have to have your heart rate slowed.  It is your pulse elevated when at rest?  Can you feel your heart beat at night when you try to go to sleep? If this is the case then you will need some type of beta blocker such as Toprol XP.  You need to start seeing an internal medicine doctor of just a general practitioner.  Oh and the tren can cause high blood pressure so I would come off that first to see if that is the culprit.  If you are taking trenabone acetate then is should be out of your system in a few days.
Get Big  Stay Big

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 06:08:55 AM »
I agree, your blood pressure isn't that high but you are correct in your assessment that the tren is raising your blood pressure.

To keep it down, be sure to get a healthy serving of essential fatty acids.  Also, even though you're not adding any salt to foods, make sure that the food that you prepare isn't high in sodium.  For supplements, CQ10 is great for heart regulation

Overall, its very important to get routine checkups with your doctor and be honest with what you are using.  Remember doctor/client privilege and that he cannot turn you in or anything.
A

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 10:50:54 AM »
Jamie, your blood pressure is not extremely high, but should be monitored closely.  

I agree, your blood pressure isn't that high but you are correct in your assessment that the tren is raising your blood pressure.

I am disappointed in both of you.  You are both 100% WRONG.

The AHA has him categorized between stage 1 and stage 2 high.

I don't care if the cuff was the wrong size.  Anyone taking BP and receiving those numbers should've been immediately alarmed and taken the time to get the right size and refer him to a physican.

Systolic                         Diastolic  
Normal less than 120            less than 80
Prehypertension 120–139      80–89

High    
Stage 1 140–159                 90–99
Stage 2 160 or higher           100 or higher
:

The Jackel

• Getbig IV
  • Eat, Sleep, Train
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 11:20:45 AM »
I am disappointed in both of you.  You are both 100% WRONG.

The AHA has him categorized between stage 1 and stage 2 high.

I don't care if the cuff was the wrong size.  Anyone taking BP and receiving those numbers should've been immediately alarmed and taken the time to get the right size and refer him to a physican.

Systolic                         Diastolic  
Normal less than 120            less than 80
Prehypertension 120–139      80–89

High    
Stage 1 140–159                 90–99
Stage 2 160 or higher           100 or higher

Princess L,

I believe you are overreacting, I personally have high blood pressure and all the information I have give is 100% correct from my physician.  The numbers that you have put up here are all standard numbers that you can find anywhere on the internet.  He should be monitored for 4 weeks having his blood pressure taken 2-3 times a week at different times during the day with the proper size cuff, and yes the cuff does make a difference (I had the same problem with a regular size cuff mine was 165 over 110 and with the proper size cuff it came down to 150 over 100 done a few minutes later) The doctor and the nurse specifically told me this was the case although my pressure was a high. I have also had other heath care professional tell the same thing. Furthermore (at least at this present day) the Systolic number is more important than the Diastolic number, which in the scope of things 130 would be perfectly acceptable.  Saying all this I still stress that he should be monitored by a physician, because there is a good chance that it will just get higher and he will have to be medicated.
Get Big  Stay Big

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2006, 09:28:44 AM »
Princess L,

I believe you are overreacting,

I don't think so {so I guess we disagree  :-\ }

The numbers that you have put up here are all standard numbers that you can find anywhere on the internet.

Maybe so, but that doesn't mean they're incorrect.  The info comes from one of my physiology texts.
  He should be monitored for 4 weeks having his blood pressure taken 2-3 times a week at different times during the day with the proper size cuff,

agreed

Furthermore (at least at this present day) the Systolic number is more important than the Diastolic number, which in the scope of things 130 would be perfectly acceptable. 

Perhaps (although I disagree since it falls into the pre-hypertension category),  his is 155 and no one should claim that is acceptable.

The major points I am stressing in this thread are:
#1  His numbers raise a HUGE red flag and NEED to be addressed
#2 Any medical professional who took his BP and received those numbers should have immediately found the correct size cuff, taken it again, etc. and referred him, ESPECIALLY given his age and paternal history.

Who knows  ???  maybe it's only a case of white coats syndrome, but better safe than sorry.

:

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2006, 10:46:32 AM »
Before you guys jump all over this & over react....

I think Jamie could be on to something regarding cuff size.

I had the same problem.

Here's a link.....it's the same thing I posted on the Hardcore Board:

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/lgbpcuffs.htm#Why%20a%20Large%20Blood%20Pressure%20Cuff%20Is%20Needed

Jamie, have it measured correctly first then tell us what it is.