Author Topic: One Step Closer - keiths review  (Read 2631 times)

thisiskeith12

One Step Closer - keiths review
« on: April 22, 2006, 12:44:14 PM »
I received Jay Cutler's new DVD "One Step Closer" yesterday and have watched it entirely. I have to say it is much different than Ripped To Shreds. Jay seems much more candid and humorous. At one point he's having breakfast with some of his family and he credits his father with his genetics and the camera focuses in on his father, an 80 year old skinny guy. As 240 would say, I nearly spewed protein shake from my nose. His mom is also shown in the DVD, and she goes on like any mother would about how Jay has worked so hard.

My theory that Mitsuru is an amateurish at best has been somewhat squashed. Mits, as they call him, seemed to be a bit shaky while holding the camera during Jay's workouts. In Ripped To Shreds he seems to not move around as much, don't know what the deal was there. Mits also likes dogs, as Jay points out, but he didn't need to because every 5 minutes Mits was zooming in on one of the dogs, mostly "Trace"; the airdale terrier. But it brings a different perspective to Jay than the all seriousness tone some people catch from him.

On the morning of the Olympia, you can see Kerry, Jay's wife, dodging from the camera as she has just gotten out of bed. You see Jay cracking jokes on the radio 2 days before the Olympia. Kerry also has a full time nursing job, so she's not around to cook his meals like in Ripped To Shreds. Jay cooks all of his meals, which leading up to contest day would be stressful in my opinion. But some of the entrees look pretty good, especially the asparagus, brown rice, onion and orange fish entree. I stopped the DVD and went to Subway to get a footlong Tuna.

There is footage of Jay backstage at the Olympia, and during his pump up, he walks past Ronnie, Ronnie did not greet Jay however. Maybe this is due to Ronnie accusing Jay of crack use. Very intense moment I must say. At some points the film seemed to be shot with a professional camera, that of a theatrical type, however backstage seems to be shot with a less expensive camera.

Overall, I'd have to say I enjoyed it. It seemed to bring more of a family atmosphere and personality from Jay we had not seen. The training footage is also good and long. It took me 2 days to watch the 2-DVD film. As a Jay Cutler fan myself, I would recommend it to any other Jay Cutler fans. And according to Jay, there are A LOT!

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: One Step Closer - keiths review
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 01:09:24 PM »
Ronnie was in the zone backstage , he focusing , contest day there are no friends !!  >:(

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 01:12:21 PM »
I ordered it along with Ryan Kennelly's dvd "Road to the Arnold" from mesorx. Can't wait for them to arrive.

http://www.mesomorphosis.com/media/ryankennelly.wmv

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 01:58:58 PM »
I ordered it too, cant wait..heard its awesome..

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 05:00:06 PM »
I must say that although I'm a pretty big fan of Cutler's, he doesn't do a whole lot in his videos to sell his personality or anything.  There's a lot of dead air time.  He comes off kind of boring.  Maybe that's just his personality, take it or leave it.  But being the entreprenuer he is, you'd think he'd make the extra effort to sell himself.  Hopefully this video will be different.

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 05:06:08 PM »
I must say that although I'm a pretty big fan of Cutler's, he doesn't do a whole lot in his videos to sell his personality or anything.  There's a lot of dead air time.  He comes off kind of boring.  Maybe that's just his personality, take it or leave it.  But being the entreprenuer he is, you'd think he'd make the extra effort to sell himself.  Hopefully this video will be different.

Hey Condor, I know what you mean. Ripped to shreds was like that, but it was still pretty damn good. I hear this one is way better, And I also hear OKABE said "This is the best training Video I have ever done in the past 10 years!"

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »
Hey Condor, I know what you mean. Ripped to shreds was like that, but it was still pretty damn good. I hear this one is way better, And I also hear OKABE said "This is the best training Video I have ever done in the past 10 years!"

have you seen MITS'S Lee Priest video?

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 06:25:41 PM »
Ronnie was in the zone backstage , he focusing , contest day there are no friends !!  >:(

You are exactly right ND, a bodybuilding contest is a war. There is no time for friendship. Mercy should not even be considered.

Condor

• Getbig IV
  • Work Hard, Play Hard
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 06:27:07 PM »
  You are exactly right ND, a bodybuilding contest is a war. There is no time for friendship. Mercy should not even be considered.

ahh yes Arnold was friendly, but with completely different intentions...