Author Topic: Mike Mentzer's complete bodybuilding career  (Read 2617 times)

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
Re: Mike Mentzer's complete bodybuilding career
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2022, 09:59:35 PM »
great arms, looked good in a few poses, shit back.

his physique had a powerful 'rugged' 'herculean' quality to it - good insertions.

dude could have maintained a solid look well into older age if he hadn't flamed out

picture of health here

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2022, 10:03:49 PM »
In my opinion Mike was a better bodybuilder than Frank Zane...smarter, too.

No offence but Frank Zane had a way better complete physique than Mike Mentzer. In fact Ray his brother was way better than Mike. But I will say this in MHO. Frank was ok but Serge Nubret should have been a Mr. Olympia.
He had it all. At that time.....

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2022, 10:28:58 PM »
No offence but Frank Zane had a way better complete physique than Mike Mentzer. In fact Ray his brother was way better than Mike. But I will say this in MHO. Frank was ok but Serge Nubret should have been a Mr. Olympia.
He had it all. At that time.....

Yes, we are all experts in contest judging when we get 16 inch arms. That much is certain.

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2022, 10:35:20 PM »
Yes, we are all experts in contest judging when we get 16 inch arms. That much is certain.

Not sure WTF that means. But I am not judging anyone just stating an opinion. But, as usually, you have to come back with a stupid statement.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2022, 10:37:09 PM »
Not sure WTF that means. But I am not judging anyone just stating an opinion. But, as usually, you have to come back with a stupid statement.

Forgive him.  His breezeway is being remodeled and he can't gawk into the guest room and stroke his wrinkled cock at the moment.  Makes him ornery. 

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2022, 10:44:50 PM »
Forgive him.  His breezeway is being remodeled and he can't gawk into the guest room and stroke his wrinkled cock at the moment.  Makes him ornery.

Thank you. I see his posts all the time and finally realised that he is a sad old man relieving his past through this website. When I post, which is infrequent, it is always based on my life experiences with many of these BBs from my time frame in Santa Monica, CA. I will only post what I have first hand knowledge of.     

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2022, 12:18:14 AM »
Thank you. I see his posts all the time and finally realised that he is a sad old man relieving his past through this website. When I post, which is infrequent, it is always based on my life experiences with many of these BBs from my time frame in Santa Monica, CA. I will only post what I have first hand knowledge of.     

AbrahamG is obsessed with vulgar fantasies. Ray stayed with us for over a year in 87-88. I stayed at his place in 1991 in April. I spoke with Mike at Golds Gym after Ray arranged the meeting.

I said Mike was a better bodybuilder than Frank. Bigger more impressive muscles. Contest victories are not that important.

pamith

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2022, 01:23:25 AM »
Lmfao

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2022, 02:55:03 AM »

AbrahamG is obsessed with vulgar fantasies. Ray stayed with us for over a year in 87-88. I stayed at his place in 1991 in April. I spoke with Mike at Golds Gym after Ray arranged the meeting.

I said Mike was a better bodybuilder than Frank. Bigger more impressive muscles. Contest victories are not that important.

Contest victories are literally all that's important for a professional bodybuilder. What other standard would anyone use?

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2022, 03:00:00 AM »

You made that up, lol.  It took me all of 5 seconds to find out the Houston Texans Strength and Training Manual. They sure as shit do HIT - both in their running and weight training. They leave it up to the athlete to find out what works for them.  Read it yourself:
http://tomhayden3.com/data/texans_fitness.pdf

"How Many Sets? In the past we assumed that the number of sets you performed determined whether or not you produced the best results. Through experience we’ve learned it’s not how many sets you perform. The key is how you perform each set. You can gain strength completing one set or ten sets. It’s also possible to gain no strength regardless of how many sets you perform. During the season most athletes barely have enough energy to recover from game to game. Your goal must be to perform as few sets as possible while stimulating maximum gains. It must be a priority to eliminate non-productive exercise. Once you have warmed up, why perform a set that is not designed to increase or maintain your current level of strength. Multiple Sets For those athletes that want to perform more than one set the same rules apply. "

Roger Bannister was the first miler ever to use short interval training to achieve a world record. At a time when people were  training for hours he limited his workouts to a 30 min a day routine and doing hard intervals twice a week. That's it.

The connection between interval endurance training and strength training is undisputable- they both cause mitochondrial changes. So what works for one works for the other:  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25539479/
You need to actually read the pdf you posted instead of highlighting 1 or 2 sentences. In no way do the Texans train like Mentzer advocated.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • "Woke is a cult." - Joe Rogan
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2022, 04:32:16 AM »
Well, if the Houston Texans training program is at all responsible for their lack of success... :-X

The dietary guidelines recommended are way out of date.  60% carbs?  Awful.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2022, 05:17:32 AM »
The only thing "genetically superior" about any bodybuilder is quite possibly their muscle belly length/insertions.  Some here tout "genetic" response to steroids.  Everyone responds to steroids.  They flat out work on anybody.  If they didn't there wouldn't be such a fiercely fucked up fap-happy schmoe and tell industry.

99.999% of every top bodybuilder since the full acceptance of steroids has been on steroids.  To a degree, steroids even affect your mind.  My friends that took them told me that they experienced a euphoria unlike anything else.  The physical power alone made them feel god (small "g") like.  Coming off was very difficult and involved, among other things, accepting that the truth is, without the drugs you weren't exactly ein Übermensch.  Shit...you weren't even Vince B., who in all honesty did have an excellent physique, especially so for an apparently natural trainer.

There used to be an online copy of write up of an interview with Mike wherein during a seminar he was asked if he ever took steroids.  His answer, "Yes!'  Tons of 'em!"

I saw Mike, Ray and Casey train one day at the original Gold's.  Wow.   They trained as they had written about in the magazines. Hard, heavy and fast with very little rest between the three of them.  Were they genetically superior beings?  Looking at the behind the scenes video of Mike and Ray years later, I wouldn't say "no",  I would say "Fuck NO!'.  ;D

I asked Robbie Robinson about drugs once when in Gold's and his answer was (paraphrased) "Peole think this body comes out of a pill.  Well...It also comes out of a syringe!"  ;D  In other words, they knew but Weider was all about pushing the genetics thing for his "champions".  After "Pumping Iron" everybody knew the difference between regular bodybuilders and the "champions" was steroids.  Steroids made a difference.  Not genetics and no one had yet tried the now ubiquitous "genetic response to steroids" line.  In the mid 80s on up to now, more drugs is the difference. Now these idiots like to say that what makes a champion is their genetic ability to "survive" the drugs.

Dumb luck is all it is and dumb luck runs out just like "regular" luck.  In closing, Mike Mentzer was a fantastic bodybuilder that fucked up by mixing amphetamines with life.  His brother Ray was dumb as a box of cocks.  That sad asspuppet sitting in a chair across from his chain smoking brother Mike, talking about how he wants to do "video with lines on the shirts to show the movement, cuz I've been studying that shit for years"... Says it all.

Train. Just train.  It ain't rocket science because if it were, nobody that's a bodybuilder would take it up, LOL!  Especially me.  ;D

karasan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2022, 12:06:12 PM »
The only thing "genetically superior" about any bodybuilder is quite possibly their muscle belly length/insertions.  Some here tout "genetic" response to steroids.  Everyone responds to steroids.  They flat out work on anybody.  If they didn't there wouldn't be such a fiercely fucked up fap-happy schmoe and tell industry.

99.999% of every top bodybuilder since the full acceptance of steroids has been on steroids.  To a degree, steroids even affect your mind.  My friends that took them told me that they experienced a euphoria unlike anything else.  The physical power alone made them feel god (small "g") like.  Coming off was very difficult and involved, among other things, accepting that the truth is, without the drugs you weren't exactly ein Übermensch.  Shit...you weren't even Vince B., who in all honesty did have an excellent physique, especially so for an apparently natural trainer.

There used to be an online copy of write up of an interview with Mike wherein during a seminar he was asked if he ever took steroids.  His answer, "Yes!'  Tons of 'em!"

I saw Mike, Ray and Casey train one day at the original Gold's.  Wow.   They trained as they had written about in the magazines. Hard, heavy and fast with very little rest between the three of them.  Were they genetically superior beings?  Looking at the behind the scenes video of Mike and Ray years later, I wouldn't say "no",  I would say "Fuck NO!'.  ;D

I asked Robbie Robinson about drugs once when in Gold's and his answer was (paraphrased) "Peole think this body comes out of a pill.  Well...It also comes out of a syringe!"  ;D  In other words, they knew but Weider was all about pushing the genetics thing for his "champions".  After "Pumping Iron" everybody knew the difference between regular bodybuilders and the "champions" was steroids.  Steroids made a difference.  Not genetics and no one had yet tried the now ubiquitous "genetic response to steroids" line.  In the mid 80s on up to now, more drugs is the difference. Now these idiots like to say that what makes a champion is their genetic ability to "survive" the drugs.

Dumb luck is all it is and dumb luck runs out just like "regular" luck.  In closing, Mike Mentzer was a fantastic bodybuilder that fucked up by mixing amphetamines with life.  His brother Ray was dumb as a box of cocks.  That sad asspuppet sitting in a chair across from his chain smoking brother Mike, talking about how he wants to do "video with lines on the shirts to show the movement, cuz I've been studying that shit for years"... Says it all.

Train. Just train.  It ain't rocket science because if it were, nobody that's a bodybuilder would take it up, LOL!  Especially me.  ;D
Do you really think muscle length is the sole genetic aspect in bodybuilding?
What about joint size, shoulder width, waist and hip size, muscle shape, muscle cell distribution, some people have thin skin which can not only explained with leanness.
Do you really think Robby Robinson looked ordinary without drugs? He has amazing taper, amazing shape and lean year around. I don't even mention his crazy muscle bellies and tiny joints.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2022, 03:03:57 PM »
He was insane, not respected by anyone but his fanboys. His training theories were/are provably wrong and has caused many years of wasted effort. He was never the best built man in the world and got a gift of 5th place at the '80 Olympia. He was not even close to the best except in his own mind. After losing he lost his shit and quit forever from competition. The last 20 years of his life he looked completely untrained.
He looked untrained because he didn't train. Why would you keep doing something you lost interest in pursuing. I know I don't. But yes the rec drugs was unfortunate. He did them for a reason, to be more productive. About the smoking idk. They didn't know how bad it was for you back then I think. John Little actually just posted another great video explaining how and why Mentzers life took a bad turn.

TheAnimal

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2022, 03:15:12 PM »
Agreed

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2022, 03:38:32 PM »
Do you really think muscle length is the sole genetic aspect in bodybuilding?
What about joint size, shoulder width, waist and hip size, muscle shape, muscle cell distribution, some people have thin skin which can not only explained with leanness.
Do you really think Robby Robinson looked ordinary without drugs? He has amazing taper, amazing shape and lean year around. I don't even mention his crazy muscle bellies and tiny joints.

Do you really think I want to list everything here that may or may not be genetically advantageous or disadvantageous?  Yes, sans drugs Robinson is a small man.  Over the last few decades bodybuilding has become entirely drug based/biased. That last statement is all the truth that needs saying.  If you feel otherwise it is because you "feel", not think.  Drugs make the manlet into a man and ultimately if they choose to compete, the champion. 

An schmoes.  Schmoes have a say in who succeeds.  "Because if at first you don't succeed, keep suckin' until you do suck seed." - Jerome "Curly" Howard  ;D

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2022, 04:25:54 PM »
He looked untrained because he didn't train. Why would you keep doing something you lost interest in pursuing. I know I don't. But yes the rec drugs was unfortunate. He did them for a reason, to be more productive. About the smoking idk. They didn't know how bad it was for you back then I think. John Little actually just posted another great video explaining how and why Mentzers life took a bad turn.

That was quite interesting.  Not at all intredasting.  Mike Mentzer was a man of above average intellect and a physique to match. 

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2022, 04:32:17 PM »

Yes running through the streets naked while high as a kite on drugs has always been a sign of great intellect

TheAnimal

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2022, 04:38:43 PM »
Yes running through the streets naked while high as a kite on drugs has always been a sign of great intellect

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2022, 05:31:03 PM »

Ah yes...the great Vincent Van Schmoe.

Mentzer had freed The Methsiah within and was doubtless phasing between multiple dimensions.  Or a singular dementia.  Drugs will fuck you up and he got reeeeeeally fucked up.  I thought well of him and then he disappeared.  When he returned, I still thought well of him but considered his last high intensity stuff as not so much "too much" but rather too little. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2022, 05:40:50 PM »

I think Mike was a great bodybuilder but just listening to him ramble on and refer to himself in the third person it's pretty obvious that he was in denial about being an meth addict (just because he got them from a doctor).  I suspect that the multiple times he was institutionalized had more to do with the the meth addiction than anything else happening in his life.  Everyone loses their parents, breaks up with a spouse and many people have business failures and don't lose their mind.

In one of those early videos you can see how well developed he was as a teenager after only a few years of training.  The guy had world class genetics for building muscle.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2022, 02:55:59 AM »
That was quite interesting.  Not at all intredasting.  Mike Mentzer was a man of above average intellect and a physique to match.
Why do you think he was above average in intellect?

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2022, 05:19:41 AM »

Response to anabolic steroids varies widely within the population.  Sure, they work on everyone but they work better for some.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2022, 05:26:08 AM »

If you can just take steroids and turn into Mr Olympia then  fuckig  do it. It really doesn’t work that way

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2022, 06:58:54 AM »
Why do you think he was above average in intellect?

He was somewhat educated and it could be that I respect that given my lack of education and intelligence but in no way do I think he was ignorant.  Except perhaps for his ego getting in the way of his success, he was no bhanky.

I just think that with the inclusion of amphetamines he destroyed a lot of brain cells and lost his way.  By the time he found a path back it was something of a "Yellow Brick Road".