Author Topic: The 2022 World’s Strongest Man  (Read 5114 times)

Gym-Rat

• Getbig V
  • BRUTAL IF TRUE!!
Re: The 2022 World’s Strongest Man
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2022, 11:49:05 AM »
I think if Shaw wins stones, he has a chance at 3rd (podium finish). But Martins would really have to blow it.

Tom is king of stones, so he may win this again. The top-3 now would be good, would like to see Shaw miss the Podium and retire.
(Long in the tooth like venom vince versaci).

Stephano

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2022, 11:52:46 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised it if they rigged it for Novikov this year to maximize gayness and supporting the current thing.

The interesting thing is that Novikov won the pure strength events -- the ones that can't really be faked or gamed -- the overhead press and the deadlift.  And he won them by a clear margin.  Compared to the deadlift, events like the Atlas Stones are fake and gay.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2022, 11:58:50 AM »
The interesting thing is that Novikov won the pure strength events -- the ones that can't really be faked or gamed -- the overhead press and the deadlift.  And he won them by a clear margin.  Compared to the deadlift, events like the Atlas Stones are fake and gay.

The Atlas stones certainley favour the taller man with long arms - As for being Fake or gay
 ::) Nah -though the platform heights should be set at shoulder level for each competitor.

Stephano

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2022, 12:05:37 PM »
The Atlas stones certainley favour the taller man with long arms - As for being Fake or gay
 ::) Nah -though the platform heights should be set at shoulder level for each competitor.

Yeah, but they're not.  So they simply favor athletes who are taller -- and who might not, necessarily, be any stronger. 
Which is how the organizers figured they'd give a helping hand to 6'8" Tom Stoltman.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2022, 02:17:49 PM »

I like how the Arnold Pro is like a 44" platform.

I can lift a 300-lb stone to 44", but at my height [174cm - just under 5'9"], I cannot do the 60"+ platforms. Maybe if I wore boots, and cleaned up my form.

I prefer the Arnold Pro short platforms - then the stones become a strength event, rather than a height event.

Gym-Rat

• Getbig V
  • BRUTAL IF TRUE!!
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2022, 03:16:24 PM »
Tom won, Martins 2nd and Novikov 3rd (same points though for 2nd/3rd) need to see how they deal w/ that.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2022, 03:21:13 PM »
Tom won, Martins 2nd and Novikov 3rd (same points though for 2nd/3rd) need to see how they deal w/ that.

Wow - imagine having 2nd and 3rd tied on points. And yet it happened.

Talk about great performance from Tom Stoltman.

Too bad about Brian narrowly missing the podium. Nice to see Max do so well - when you consider that two of the four men who beat him are basically 5-10 years older than him, Max can definitely make another podium in the future, if not win it all eventually.

Strongman is unforgiving though. Hopefully Max doesn't get injured, and can make some money out of it.

Stephano

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2022, 02:08:45 AM »
Wow - imagine having 2nd and 3rd tied on points. And yet it happened.

LOL, they gave Licis 2nd because he did better in the atlas stones, the one event that arguably does least to measure actual strength.

This "sport" is retarded.

ZOD

• Getbig II
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2022, 01:45:43 PM »
LOL, they gave Licis 2nd because he did better in the atlas stones, the one event that arguably does least to measure actual strength.

I haven't watched WSM since they aired it on ESPN ages ago but this is a weird take.

How is picking up 500lb boulders from the floor NOT a measure of strength?

Seems like it's the one activity that requires recruiting every muscle fiber in your body to accomplish.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2022, 02:10:14 PM »

I hope that was in the rulebook beforehand.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2022, 02:14:45 PM »
I haven't watched WSM since they aired it on ESPN ages ago but this is a weird take.

How is picking up 500lb boulders from the floor NOT a measure of strength?

Seems like it's the one activity that requires recruiting every muscle fiber in your body to accomplish.

WSM is never quite the raw power contest that the Arnold Pro is.

If I'm not mistaken - in 2006, didn't Mariusz Pudzianowski place 6th at the Arnold Pro, but win the WSM, if not in 2006, in 2005 and 2007?

And if I recall correctly, Zydrunas Savickas won in 2006.

The stone event at the Arnold is a heavy raw power event -  but the stone event at the WSM is normally a lower weight stone run, or multiple stones that go up in weight to platforms that are lower and lower, ranging from about 72" to 58".

Wasn't the stone event this year one for reps?

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2022, 03:11:33 PM »
Who is strongest on getbig?

MattC has to be up there for traditional strongman movements.

Fortress for sure

For the UK, illuminati was (I believe) at least a National PL champion 8)
T

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2022, 08:50:00 PM »
Fortress for sure

For the UK, illuminati was (I believe) at least a National PL champion 8)

Thank You

3x British champion at PL
& 1x Bodybuilding + international.

All now a long time ago.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2022, 10:07:44 PM »
Thank You

3x British champion at PL
& 1x Bodybuilding + international.

All now a long time ago.

Incredible.

My max squat is 385x2 at 170.  ;D

I just shoot for a bench/squat/deadlift of 315/405/495. I'm totally fine with that. If I'm slightly higher than that - awesome. Anywhere around there is fine by me. I much prefer strongman events to powerlifting though - that athletic/movement component, but there is a difference in raw power between the sports.

I've probably witnessed anyone at the gym squatting 405 or more literally twice in my life. Those lifts only exist on Getbig.  ;D

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2022, 04:05:34 AM »
Incredible.

I just shoot for a bench/squat/deadlift of 315/405/495. I'm totally fine with that. If I'm slightly higher than that - awesome. Anywhere around there is fine by me. I much prefer strongman events to powerlifting though - that athletic/movement component, but there is a difference in raw power between the sports.

I've probably witnessed anyone at the gym squatting 405 or more literally twice in my life. Those lifts only exist on Getbig.  ;D

Matt there very respectable lifts - Good going.

at just over 5'6 strong man wasn't an option for me not matter how strong
I may of been
No way I'd be able to get my arms around one of the big stones let alone have to lift
above my head to place it on the platform.  :D ;D :D

Yeah a lot of extremely gifted Strength athletes on Getbig.  ::)

In reality there are a few like yourself & a few others that certainly are capable of some very heavy lifting. 

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2022, 06:33:06 AM »

Matt there very respectable lifts - Good going.

at just over 5'6 strong man wasn't an option for me not matter how strong
I may of been
No way I'd be able to get my arms around one of the big stones let alone have to lift
above my head to place it on the platform.  :D ;D :D

Yeah a lot of extremely gifted Strength athletes on Getbig.  ::)

In reality there are a few like yourself & a few others that certainly are capable of some very heavy lifting.

Thanks illuminati.

It's funny you say that...I was watching a powerlifter in my weight class, who significantly exceeds my total - and one might think would therefore be much stronger than me at everything...but as it turned out, he is unable to do certain lifts, being about 5'6", and having the same issue you mentioned with the stones!!

Speaking of which - are you familiar with England's own Andrew "Stumpy" Raynes?

Apparently, he was allowed to use a ring to connect his hands together, since his arms weren't long enough. Though I didn't confirm that, so I'm not sure if it happened at WSM - or another lower contest.

He did place 10th in WSM in 2001! Incredible work for 5'3"!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Raynes

Gym-Rat

• Getbig V
  • BRUTAL IF TRUE!!
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2022, 06:39:45 AM »

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2022, 06:52:56 AM »

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2022, 10:58:37 AM »
Thanks illuminati.

It's funny you say that...I was watching a powerlifter in my weight class, who significantly exceeds my total - and one might think would therefore be much stronger than me at everything...but as it turned out, he is unable to do certain lifts, being about 5'6", and having the same issue you mentioned with the stones!!

Speaking of which - are you familiar with England's own Andrew "Stumpy" Raynes?

Apparently, he was allowed to use a ring to connect his hands together, since his arms weren't long enough. Though I didn't confirm that, so I'm not sure if it happened at WSM - or another lower contest.

He did place 10th in WSM in 2001! Incredible work for 5'3"!

Yes Andrew Raynes an immensely strong Man - Strength off the charts
His lack of Height & Reach held him back in Strong man events.
Physical structure not suited to the Strong man scene where clearly Taller Heavier Men
with longer arms are at a Distinct advantage.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2022, 12:37:20 PM »

Yes Andrew Raynes an immensely strong Man - Strength off the charts
His lack of Height & Reach held him back in Strong man events.
Physical structure not suited to the Strong man scene where clearly Taller Heavier Men
with longer arms are at a Distinct advantage.

Friend of mine (shortest guy onstage) came 2nd to Andy when he won the NABBA Britain juniors in 94

My friend had him on condition but couldnt come close to Andys size

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2022, 05:43:08 PM »
Friend of mine (shortest guy onstage) came 2nd to Andy when he won the NABBA Britain juniors in 94

Yes Better condition & slightly better aesthetically.
Bitch Tits very Noticeable & Andy's sheer muscle mass just to much to ignore
& in fair condition.

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2022, 09:12:07 PM »
a tard with a turd

^ When I read that, I didn't think you knew him.

^ Sounds like you are familiar with the strong Englishman, joswift?

I'm not familiar with any 5'3" strongman at his level.

You will occasionally get a guy like Dimitar Savatinov who is 5'8.5" and placed as high as 7th in 2015. But I can't think of really any top ones who are under 5'8".

There are levels - under 6'0" is rare, under 5'10" is rarer, and under 5'8" is almost a class of Andrew Stumpy Raynes alone.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2022, 09:29:10 AM »
Incredible.

I often witness this phenomenon too.  Everyone on getbig benches 315x8 but in real gyms you see this very rarely even among “serious “trainers””.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2022, 09:50:53 AM »
^ When I read that, I didn't think you knew him.

^ Sounds like you are familiar with the strong Englishman, joswift?

I'm not familiar with any 5'3" strongman at his level.

You will occasionally get a guy like Dimitar Savatinov who is 5'8.5" and placed as high as 7th in 2015. But I can't think of really any top ones who are under 5'8".

There are levels - under 6'0" is rare, under 5'10" is rarer, and under 5'8" is almost a class of Andrew Stumpy Raynes alone.

my friend in the video is about 5'4 and is shorter than Andy