Author Topic: NO BULLSHIT TRAINING THREAD..........JUST TRAINING !  (Read 395410 times)

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
Re: NO BULLSHIT TRAINING THREAD..........JUST TRAINING !
« Reply #3000 on: August 29, 2023, 11:54:25 AM »
I got frustrated recently with my lack of progress on squats lately so started a Smolov Jr. "cycle", will see how it goes.  Just finished the second session of week #1, 7x5.

Briefly looked at full Smolov and saw a session that ended with three sets of four reps of 95% of your max, fuck that shit.  Seems like a program for assisted athletes.

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #3001 on: August 29, 2023, 11:59:54 AM »
I got frustrated recently with my lack of progress on squats lately so started a Smolov Jr. "cycle", will see how it goes.  Just finished the second session of week #1, 7x5.

Briefly looked at full Smolov and saw a session that ended with three sets of four reps of 95% of your max, fuck that shit.  Seems like a program for assisted athletes.

So many programs out there... I find the best are from the old-school, like Ed Coans. A bit basic/archaic, but thats what I like.
Plus he does his Powerlifts, then does BB training as accessories.

Search on some of his old templates...

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #3002 on: August 29, 2023, 12:35:50 PM »
So many programs out there... I find the best are from the old-school, like Ed Coans. A bit basic/archaic, but thats what I like.
Plus he does his Powerlifts, then does BB training as accessories.

Search on some of his old templates...

I will check out Ed's, thanks.

I'm definitely going to modify Smolov Jr. a bit, I think I'll do it every other day.  It calls for a day of 8x4@80% then right after that a day of 10x3@85%, not happening!  At least not for three straight weeks.

JustPlaneJane

• Getbig V
« Reply #3003 on: August 29, 2023, 01:24:05 PM »
Makes sense that a heavier person going the same speed would require more watts/energy since they are moving more mass.

So you’re saying if Henda’s new girlfriend was walking to the refrigerator at 1 foot per second, I’d have to be traveling at the speed of light to equal “her” watt output.

Sounds about right.

Only chick I know who has to pay for a massage by the square meter.

🤣

JustPlaneJane

• Getbig V
« Reply #3004 on: August 29, 2023, 01:38:19 PM »
Hulkotron's Primer on Power for Getbiggers:

I cycle a bit (nh).

"Power" in cycling is the mechanical power the rider produces turning the pedals, the torque on the crank (nh) times the pedaling rate.  All other things being equal, more power will translate to more speed.  So if it's the same rider on the same bike on the same route under the same conditions, if their average power is higher then they'll have covered the route faster.  But all those things are never equal.  A heavier person or the same person on a heavier bike has to produce more power to climb the same hill as a lighter person or on a lighter bike.  Cheaper bikes/wheels/tires lose more of that power to friction and "rolling resistance" before it gets translated to speed on the road.  Or if there's a stiff (nh) wind in your face, you could produce more power but actually go slower vs. calm conditions or a tailwind.  So cyclists use power because it's a good objective indicator of the level of effort that's comparable across days.  If your power was higher then you were working harder that day regardless of other conditions and no matter what your speed was.  If you scale power by body mass then it's a decent comparison of effort between different riders (more on that below).

The main power-related metric in cycling is the "FTP" which is the "Functional Threshold Power", the highest average power you can hold for an hour, divided by your body mass (watts per kg).  I think the mass of the bike is excluded in that calculation.  To determine FTP you can just go balls-out for an hour but that kind of sucks on a trainer and it's hard to find an outdoor route where you can really go hard (nh) for that long uninterrupted, so cyclists will often do a 20-minute version that estimates it.  I forget the exact protocol but it's something like warm-up, do some hard intervals, then go all-out for 10 minutes, 95% of your power during those 10 minutes is your estimated FTP.

Why divide by kg for FTP?

On flat ground, the bike supports your weight for you, the main source of resistance is air resistance which is not affected by weight, and bigger/heavier cyclists generally have an advantage, they can produce more power.  So dividing the power by mass accounts for that, sort of like weight class in powerlifting.  But still in a race on level ground it's all about power in raw (nh) watts, W/kg don't matter much, this is why the good sprinters in cycling tend to be the bigger guys as far as cyclists go.

Uphill, the main source of resistance is now gravity and it's all about how much power you can produce relative to your body weight (so W/kg again).  This is why the best climbers tend to be smaller/lighter guys.  A heavier rider needs to produce more watts (but probably comparable W/kg) than a smaller rider to climb the same hill.  Big guys gets dropped quickly on hills and most of the "famous" races in cycling involve climbing mountains, it's the good climbers who usually win, so this is why serious endurance cyclists are into FTP.

Healthy-but-untrained women will typically have an FTP in the 2 W/kg neighborhood.  3 is decent for recreational athletes, mine's probably about 3 W/kg.  Anything much above 4 W/kg is getting into elite territory for a women, someone with an FTP that high is training very seriously and/or has some rare talent.  5 W/kg and above is extraordinary and borderline world-class.  The chart below is "Coggan's FTP Chart", used often for this categorization.

HTH

Thank you Sir !   🙋‍♀️

This is a more detailed explanation, but kind of how I understood what the group was talking about. What was throwing me off was there were 2 - 3 younger guys who kept going on about how they were close to 1,000 watts for a minute, or some crap like that. I kept wondering what that had to do with a two hour workout ride ? Yeah okay, it is peak output, but what difference does it make if you can only do it for one minute ? (Totally female - legally homo)

What I was told was to calculate my W/Kg value and see if it fell between 2.5 - 2.9. I “thought” my average was 203 Watts for the first 1–1/2 hours….now I’m not sure ?

Thanks for the information, this was definitely helpful. I had fun trying it but I wouldn’t make it a workout staple. Do you cycle with gloves on ? I don’t, never really thought about it, but the backs of my hands got so sunburnt they still hurt today.

Today is deadlift day #1 !

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3005 on: August 29, 2023, 02:36:17 PM »

you know nothing about me or my training history you bald guy.

and the day I take ANY training advice of a one armed collection of muscle tears who cant complete a contest, taps out at mma and cheats to try to win in a drug tested curl contest is the day emily urch gives up blakc cock for a weekend. NEVER.

This is a no bullshit training thread brian. you have no place here.

25 years on peds 16.5 inch calves.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Brian knows his own limits and disbelieves others can exceed them
Exertion and effort have never been his strong point, he knows more shortcuts than a London Cabbie

Cheating and lying his way through life

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #3006 on: August 29, 2023, 03:20:59 PM »
Exertion and effort have never been his strong point, he knows more shortcuts than a London Cabbie

He said my workout was too much for a guy my age.........I guess that`s why I`m gaining like a muthafucker,and looking good.

HE KNOWS JACKSHIT ABOUT BODYBUILDING !

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3007 on: August 29, 2023, 03:23:53 PM »
He said my workout was too much for a guy my age.........I guess that`s why I`m gaining like a muthafucker,and looking good.

HE KNOWS JACKSHIT ABOUT BODYBUILDING ,MMA, Opening a car door whilst keeping a pectoral muscle attached, walking up a flight of steps, completeing a contest, curling against any opposition and keeping a room vacant in his house, !

fixed

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3008 on: August 29, 2023, 03:28:44 PM »

38 returns

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig! BRIAN HANKINS IS TOO SCARED TO PHONE ME
« Reply #3009 on: August 29, 2023, 03:28:54 PM »

Wes if he cant do it it cant be done!

I don't think I have seen a single brian workout of any note

I recall his curl workouts which were basically 6 sets of curls

this regime resulted in his failing his PB at game time

his lewg workout was 5 sets extensions 5 sets curls

tis regime resulted in negligible leg development

he's a fucking fraud and just wants a short cut. that short cut is drugs for 2 decades. actiual work? no chance?

he will trap bar bull 400 lb in ayear and claim its a deadlift rather than deadlift 500lb. he's a fraud.

after 5 months back training I would leave him in a pool of vomit after a single training session
B

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3010 on: August 29, 2023, 03:31:27 PM »
after 5 months back training I would leave him in a pool of vomit blood after a single training session

better....

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3011 on: August 29, 2023, 03:36:51 PM »
Wes if he cant do it it cant be done!

I don't think I have seen a single brian workout of any note

I recall his curl workouts which were basically 6 sets of curls

this regime resulted in his failing his PB at game time

his lewg workout was 5 sets extensions 5 sets curls

tis regime resulted in negligible leg development

he's a fucking fraud and just wants a short cut. that short cut is drugs for 2 decades. actiual work? no chance?

he will trap bar bull 400 lb in ayear and claim its a deadlift rather than deadlift 500lb. he's a fraud.

after 5 months back training I would leave him in a pool of vomit after a single training session
I agree,I`d bury him in the gym at my age or any age........he`s weak and has no clue what intensity is.

If he has the balls to enter a Masters BB contest in the future and it`s not unreasonably far from me,I`ll enter and mop the floor with him.

Nothing short of caving his head in would give me greater pleasure!!  :D

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #3012 on: August 29, 2023, 03:39:40 PM »
fixed

😂🤣😂
Ha ha ha

Yet all true.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #3013 on: August 30, 2023, 01:50:11 AM »
Chest yesterday

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3014 on: August 30, 2023, 01:52:53 AM »
Chest yesterday

Ripped

Spot on mate...

JackTheRipper

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3015 on: August 30, 2023, 04:05:39 AM »
Chest yesterday
No one fucks with big-Ro  ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #3016 on: August 30, 2023, 04:07:17 AM »

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3017 on: August 30, 2023, 04:39:07 AM »
Chest yesterday
Looking huge and cut!

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
« Reply #3018 on: August 30, 2023, 04:55:57 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3019 on: August 30, 2023, 05:09:38 AM »
Full FNG blast today.  Killed it

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3020 on: August 30, 2023, 05:13:41 AM »
^^^^Nice going guys..........my rest day is today,and I need it.

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #3021 on: August 30, 2023, 06:04:25 AM »

Brian knows that drop sets, pyramid sets, forced reps, etc etc for 40 total sets is a bunch of nonsense for a 60 year old guy who has been training 4 months and lost 30lbs of fat. He is nowhere near that level he is just overtraining now.

webstar

• Getbig V
« Reply #3022 on: August 30, 2023, 06:05:26 AM »
Brian knows that drop sets, pyramid sets, forced reps, etc etc for 40 total sets is a bunch of nonsense for a 60 year old guy who has been training 4 months and lost 30lbs of fat. He is nowhere near that level he is just overtraining now.

Agreed,

bhank

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • 2024 NPC Charlotte Cup Champion
« Reply #3023 on: August 30, 2023, 06:05:56 AM »

Again you are a 70 year old man you should be doing some basic lifting for about half an hour tops 3x a week. There is a reason every couple weeks you are injured and out for 3 months again

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3024 on: August 30, 2023, 06:06:32 AM »

Oh for F sake - too many opioids?