Author Topic: Family of Slain Marine at Kabul Airport Was Forced to Fundraise $60,000 to Move  (Read 1151 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/us-military-marine-nicole-gee-arlington-national-cemetery/

What's the truth? This would be good exercise in deciding what to post and when if accuracy is imprortant vs. emotion

At this moment I don't know which is accurate, I have my suspicions, but this might be a good chance for us all to dig a little deeper on our own and determine what is likely true vs what is likely to raise emotions and cause division

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Ok, everyone has had a little time to do some fact checking with various organizations.. I found it to be a bogus headline when her family worked for a non profit and they volunteered to transport her when the Government would do it on a commercial flight as they often do. And the non profit and the marines mother in law I believe are quoted as saying they didn't even think the government was asked to provide private transport, they did it on their own.

What did we learn here?

Coach, would you like to go first? DE, maybe you have something to add?

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
History is going to reflect kindly on President Bidens following through on Trumps deal with the Taliban to get us out by August whatever 2021.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
History is going to reflect kindly on President Bidens following through on Trumps deal with the Taliban to get us out by August whatever 2021.

History will remember that President Biden is directly responsible for the deaths of 13 American patriots.  And that he lied about advice and recommendations given to him.  And that he claimed no Americans would be left behind, then abandoned American citizens, including school children behind enemy lines.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
History will remember that President Biden is directly responsible for the deaths of 13 American patriots.  And that he lied about advice and recommendations given to him.  And that he claimed no Americans would be left behind, then abandoned American citizens, including school children behind enemy lines.

That's fantasy, not history.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)

It's facts.  Everything I said is true.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
It's facts.  Everything I said is true.

Is what you said about the fantasy coach posted true as well?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

One of the 13 dead is the nephew of one my ex-high school girlfriends who I’m still in close contact with. Lance Cpl. Kareem Nikoui

There’s nothing fantasy about it.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/us-military-marine-nicole-gee-arlington-national-cemetery/

What's the truth? This would be good exercise in deciding what to post and when if accuracy is imprortant vs. emotion

At this moment I don't know which is accurate, I have my suspicions, but this might be a good chance for us all to dig a little deeper on our own and determine what is likely true vs what is likely to raise emotions and cause division

So what’s the truth?

“The family of Marine Corps Sgt. Nicole L. Gee, one of the 13 U.S. soldiers killed during Joe Biden’s disastrous pullout from Afghanistan, has come forward to explain that they were stuck paying thousands of dollars to have her body shipped to Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia after her funeral in California.”

https://www.westernjournal.com/family-marine-killed-afghanistan-stuck-60000-bill-pentagon-policy-change/

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
Ok, everyone has had a little time to do some fact checking with various organizations.. I found it to be a bogus headline when her family worked for a non profit and they volunteered to transport her when the Government would do it on a commercial flight as they often do. And the non profit and the marines mother in law I believe are quoted as saying they didn't even think the government was asked to provide private transport, they did it on their own.

What did we learn here?

Coach, would you like to go first? DE, maybe you have something to add?

We learned you don't see anything you don't already believe. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
So what’s the truth?

“The family of Marine Corps Sgt. Nicole L. Gee, one of the 13 U.S. soldiers killed during Joe Biden’s disastrous pullout from Afghanistan, has come forward to explain that they were stuck paying thousands of dollars to have her body shipped to Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia after her funeral in California.”

https://www.westernjournal.com/family-marine-killed-afghanistan-stuck-60000-bill-pentagon-policy-change/

"A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per-article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.

Overall, we rate Western Journal Right Biased and Questionable based on story selection and editorial opinions that strongly favor the right and numerous failed fact checks."

I see you are perplexed because of conflicting articles. Your 2nd step should be to compare sources with well known media bias sources. You would find your source is the least credible therefore it is highly likely the other sources that conflict are correct.

Airforce times should be accepted by all as a legit publication..

"These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes).  The reporting is factual and usually sourced.  These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.

Overall, we rate Air Force Times Least Biased based on balanced news reporting and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information."

And it says;

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2023/07/27/family-of-fallen-marine-wasnt-forced-to-cover-burial-costs/

"The family of a Marine killed in Afghanistan was not asked to pay tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket to cover the costs of shipping her body to Virginia for military burial, contrary to reports circulated by Republican congressmen this week.

Individuals connected to the controversy said the issue stems from a charity group’s efforts to provide extra assistance to the family of Sgt. Nicole Gee, who was killed in the Aug. 26, 2021, terrorist attack at Hamid Karzai International Airport in Afghanistan. Her body was transported by military officials back to California for memorial services."

So given the sources and of course the absurd premise to begin with, a reasonable person can safely conclude the original post was inaccurate and designed to stir the pot and create more division.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Seems we have a bit of a conundrum

eature=share

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
From a left rag

https://www.yahoo.com/news/60k-bill-move-sgt-nicole-205342394.html

Confidence Level
Confidence is determined by how many reviews have been applied and consistency of data.
As of July 2023, AllSides has low or initial confidence in our Lean left rating for The Sacramento Bee. If we perform more bias reviews and gather consistent data, this confidence level will increase.

So here is my thought process. Ok.. let's see the credibility of the Sacremento Bee. It's low. Lets see what date the story came out because there are updates to stories that may be more accurate. It is July 26. Then I READ the article. It actually has paragraphs that support the conflicting stories. for example;

It references the letter the GOP senator sent... which started this whole shebang because he didn't check his facts either.

But then it says;

A Pentagon official said that, as of Wednesday, there was “no record of any incurred charges or any pending requests for reimbursement associated with the transportation of Sgt. Gee’s remains to Arlington National Cemetery.”

The official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that “Marine Corps casualty assistance officers were in direct communication with Sgt. Gee’s family, ( this actually backs up the relatives claim in another link I posted that said they never asked for assistance because the non profit was taking care of it. )and they remain in contact today.” The official told McClatchyDC, The Bee’s Washington bureau, that “the Marine Corps stayed consistent with its policy that all costs associated with internment be borne by the government.”

“The Marine Corps takes very seriously the transfer of remains of our Marines,” the official said, “they never leave a Marine behind, and they care for the families of their fallen Marines.”

The article also doesn't say the family paid a dime. The non profit her parents worked with provided transport which matches other stories.

So I find an article in the Military Times, they should know. and it was written a day later

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2023/07/27/family-of-fallen-marine-wasnt-forced-to-cover-burial-costs/

The family of a Marine killed in Afghanistan was not asked to pay tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket to cover the costs of shipping her body to Virginia for military burial, contrary to reports circulated by Republican congressmen this week.

Individuals connected to the controversy said the issue stems from a charity group’s efforts to provide extra assistance to the family of Sgt. Nicole Gee, who was killed in the Aug. 26, 2021, terrorist attack at Hamid Karzai International Airport in Afghanistan. Her body was transported by military officials back to California for memorial services.

"But shortly thereafter, Gee’s remains were moved again to Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia for final burial. Costs of a private flight for her casket and remains were covered by Honoring Our Fallen, a nonprofit group which provides support to military families."

So my thought process, armed with the knowledge of potential bias, credibility among the different sources, the Air Force Times article and again, the absurd premise to begin with, I personally think the Senator jumped the gun as is often the case when trying to vilify the other party, and I'm satisfied that your original link and article is inaccurate. What's your thought process?

Before I, and most posters here post a link, we try and determine how accurate, how true it is, because we don't want to be "that guy" that sees an articles headline that bodes poorly for the other party and hastily posts it... Credibility is important to some of us. I'm sharing my thought process, others may have additional tips, so that you might improve on your percentage of posting legitimate articles.

For me, it has always been "what's likely the truth?' Always. Sometimes it is hard to determine.. Sometimes it is easy. But I use the "what is more likely true?" gauge on a regular basis. I try my best to force "What I want to be true" behind it.  I think you might agree, after this series of back and forth's, in this case, it is more likely true your article is inaccurate. If at this point you feel you need to post another link from another suspect source, that repeats the same thing from the same date, then we've wasted our time here. I hope that isn't the case. To me this isn't an "aha" I caught you moment.. I truly hope you pick up some things to help you on down the road, just as you hope those you work with at the range digest your tips and suggestions and incorporate them into their routines.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.

We got a winner!

Kind of hard to forget the 45 service members killed in Afghanistan under Trumpy's watch.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
We got a winner!

Kind of hard to forget the 45 service members killed in Afghanistan under Trumpy's watch.

How many were killed under 8 years of FAGGETBAMA! 

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
Dont forget millions of dollars worth of military equipment was left for our enemies. 👎
T

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
We got a winner!

Or the 3000 + Americans and allies still stranded that Biden promised to bring home. Derp

*waiting for the obligatory cherry picked leftist rag covering Biden’s useless ass

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
How many were killed under 8 years of FAGGETBAMA!

Maybe they should have stayed at home in mommy’s basement?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
Or the 3000 + Americans and allies still stranded that Biden promised to bring home. Derp

*waiting for the obligatory cherry picked leftist rag covering Biden’s useless ass

They had adequate time to leave. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
From a left rag

https://www.yahoo.com/news/60k-bill-move-sgt-nicole-205342394.html

Good news Coach. We can put this to rest. The newspaper updated its article to reflect more accurate information.

The two Republican officials were wrong. Of course as you can read in this update, Rep. Mills of course blamed the family for the misunderstanding as politicians do.

https://amp.sacbee.com/news/local/article277683098.html

Gym Rat

• Getbig V
  • Libturdz Love The Caulk
Good news Coach. We can put this to rest. The newspaper updated its article to reflect more accurate information.

https://amp.sacbee.com/news/local/article277683098.html

Never believe libturd Sac-Bee...