Author Topic: Patrick Arnold pleads guilty  (Read 3953 times)

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
Patrick Arnold pleads guilty
« on: April 28, 2006, 03:56:33 PM »
(Sorry if this is already posted and I missed it.)

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A noted scientist in the field of sports nutritional supplements pleaded guilty Friday to supplying the BALCO lab with the performance-enhancing drug known as "the clear."

Patrick Arnold pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute steroids. He's scheduled to be sentenced in August and most likely will face three months in jail and three months of home detention.

"I agreed to distribute and in fact I did distribute anabolic steroids to two individuals who then knowingly provided these steroids to athletes," Arnold told U.S. District Judge Susan Illston.

Arnold left the federal courthouse without talking to reporters.

A federal grand jury indicted Arnold in November for conspiring with Bay Area Laboratory-Cooperative founder Victor Conte to distribute the once-undetectable substance tetrahydragestrinone. He initially faced three conspiracy counts, but two were dropped in exchange for his plea.

Arnold's plea comes as a grand jury investigates whether San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds lied about using "the clear" to another grand jury that investigated BALCO more than two years ago. It was unclear if the plea agreement requires Arnold to testify before the grand jury.

So far, the BALCO probe has netted guilty pleas from Arnold, Conte, Bonds' trainer Greg Anderson, BALCO vice president James Valente and track coach Remi Korchemny.

The 39-year-old Arnold was snared after federal agents raided his Champaign, Ill., lab last year.

Prosecutors said Arnold was intimately involved with distributing steroids through BALCO from 2000 to 2003, and at one point wired a large sum of money to China for the ingredients to make the drugs.

Arnold was "involved knowingly with a conspiracy to illegally distribute steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs to professional and elite athletes," Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeffrey Nedrow said in court.

Nedrow said witnesses and documents seized from Arnold's home and BALCO's Burlingame, Calif., labs would have buttressed their case.

Defense attorneys refused to comment outside court.

According to leaked excerpts of Bonds' testimony reported in the San Francisco Chronicle, Bonds told the BALCO grand jury he used a "clear" substance and a cream given to him by Anderson.

Bonds, who is approaching Babe Ruth's home run record, testified that Anderson informed him the substances were the nutritional supplement flaxseed oil and a rubbing balm for arthritis.

Arnold was known for introducing the steroid precursor androstenedione to the United States. Nicknamed "andro," the chemical came to public attention in 1998 when St. Louis Cardinals slugger Mark McGwire said he used it when he broke baseball's single-season home run record.

The indictment against Arnold alleged he trafficked in performance-enhancing drugs that were designed to avoid detection by sporting leagues, including the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, Major League Baseball and the NFL.

Illston asked Arnold if his plea was voluntary and told him he couldn't change his mind once he accepted the agreement with prosecutors.

"Mr. Arnold I think you're guilty of this offense, and I think you are pleading guilty because you are guilty," she said at the close of the hearing.

Bonds hit his 711th career home run in San Francisco's 9-7, 11-inning loss to New York on Wednesday, placing him three homers behind Babe Ruth for second on the career list, trailing Hank Aaron (755).
Motherboy (the band).

thisiskeith12

Re: Patrick Arnold pleads guilty
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 03:58:30 PM »
(Sorry if this is already posted and I missed it.)

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- A noted scientist in the field of sports nutritional supplements pleaded guilty Friday to supplying the BALCO lab with the performance-enhancing drug known as "the clear."

Patrick Arnold pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to distribute steroids. He's scheduled to be sentenced in August and most likely will face three months in jail and three months of home detention.

"I agreed to distribute and in fact I did distribute anabolic steroids to two individuals who then knowingly provided these steroids to athletes," Arnold told U.S. District Judge Susan Illston.

Arnold left the federal courthouse without talking to reporters.

A federal grand jury indicted Arnold in November for conspiring with Bay Area Laboratory-Cooperative founder Victor Conte to distribute the once-undetectable substance tetrahydragestrinone. He initially faced three conspiracy counts, but two were dropped in exchange for his plea.

Arnold's plea comes as a grand jury investigates whether San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds lied about using "the clear" to another grand jury that investigated BALCO more than two years ago. It was unclear if the plea agreement requires Arnold to testify before the grand jury.

So far, the BALCO probe has netted guilty pleas from Arnold, Conte, Bonds' trainer Greg Anderson, BALCO vice president James Valente and track coach Remi Korchemny.

The 39-year-old Arnold was snared after federal agents raided his Champaign, Ill., lab last year.

Prosecutors said Arnold was intimately involved with distributing steroids through BALCO from 2000 to 2003, and at one point wired a large sum of money to China for the ingredients to make the drugs.

Arnold was "involved knowingly with a conspiracy to illegally distribute steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs to professional and elite athletes," Assistant U.S. Attorney Jeffrey Nedrow said in court.

Nedrow said witnesses and documents seized from Arnold's home and BALCO's Burlingame, Calif., labs would have buttressed their case.

Defense attorneys refused to comment outside court.

According to leaked excerpts of Bonds' testimony reported in the San Francisco Chronicle, Bonds told the BALCO grand jury he used a "clear" substance and a cream given to him by Anderson.

Bonds, who is approaching Babe Ruth's home run record, testified that Anderson informed him the substances were the nutritional supplement flaxseed oil and a rubbing balm for arthritis.

Arnold was known for introducing the steroid precursor androstenedione to the United States. Nicknamed "andro," the chemical came to public attention in 1998 when St. Louis Cardinals slugger Mark McGwire said he used it when he broke baseball's single-season home run record.

The indictment against Arnold alleged he trafficked in performance-enhancing drugs that were designed to avoid detection by sporting leagues, including the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, Major League Baseball and the NFL.

Illston asked Arnold if his plea was voluntary and told him he couldn't change his mind once he accepted the agreement with prosecutors.

"Mr. Arnold I think you're guilty of this offense, and I think you are pleading guilty because you are guilty," she said at the close of the hearing.

Bonds hit his 711th career home run in San Francisco's 9-7, 11-inning loss to New York on Wednesday, placing him three homers behind Babe Ruth for second on the career list, trailing Hank Aaron (755).

Isn't this the guy that owns Ergopharm?

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 04:00:39 PM »
Isn't this the guy that owns Ergopharm?

You bet.  Created "Amp" too.
Motherboy (the band).

thisiskeith12

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 04:01:59 PM »
You bet.  Created "Amp" too.

Nice of him to do time for Barry.

abz

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 05:27:07 PM »

Patrick Arnold, taken by Ron Avidan

BallzDeep69

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 05:51:53 PM »
He looks just like Dave Matthews, on 1-AD. 

Nice big bag of blow he's got there...

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 06:25:55 PM »
He looks just like Dave Matthews, on 1-AD. 

Nice big bag of blow he's got there...

That's German Crea-blow.
Motherboy (the band).

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 06:31:24 PM »
That's German Crea-blow.

ROFL, "Crea-blow"  ;D That would be a more hardcore delivery system ;D

Dingleberry

• Getbig IV
  • My nuts, your chin, any questions?
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 06:38:05 PM »
I think it sucks he got busted. Meanwhile, that piece shit Bonds, WHO KNEW HE WAS TAKING STERIODS, will walk.
tiny-tit bounty hunter

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 06:55:42 PM »
another pic of Pat

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 06:59:09 PM »
another pic of Pat

Do you have a picture of him examining a supplement bottle? ;D

Gordon_Gekko

• Getbig III
  • All drugs!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 07:20:50 PM »
  ROFL, "Crea-blow"  ;D That would be a more hardcore delivery system ;D

I can see the headlines now...

"Crea-blow: 685 times more effective than regular creatine!"

Followed the next year by "Cre-Crack: 1950 times more effective than Crea-blow!".

A six page magazine "special editorial report" then pops up explaining how much more effective creatine powder cooked down into pure rock form and inhaled is so much more efficient than snorting the powder.
Greed is good!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 07:24:55 PM »
  Do you have a picture of him examining a supplement bottle? ;D

hahahaha Scientists doing what they do best, wearing lab coats with goggles and reading nutritional info from the side of the bottles