Author Topic: BodyOpus..  (Read 3470 times)

JamesD

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
BodyOpus..
« on: April 30, 2006, 07:08:12 PM »
Who's done it? Results?

I've done it once and it was pretty intense, more so than other low carb diets..

JamesD

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: BodyOpus..
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 12:00:42 PM »
bump

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 02:01:09 PM »
I have been trying to find a discounted copy of this book. I have heard it is hardcore.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 02:09:19 PM »
Opus
X

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 05:07:32 PM »

JamesD

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 04:03:04 AM »
I have been trying to find a discounted copy of this book. I have heard it is hardcore.

http://www.musclemayhem.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18255&highlight=Opus

download and read. Good Stuff..

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 02:42:22 PM »

Dnizneer

• Getbig III
  • Meat
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 02:48:31 PM »
Isn't Opus another name for Orangutan vagaina?

!@#$%

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 05:31:39 PM »

http://www.musclemayhem.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18255&highlight=Opus

download and read. Good Stuff..

What other bodybuilding books can you find on-line as e-books?

D-Jay

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 08:43:00 PM »
Hey JamesD,

you noted that you've done this diet before.

What kind of results did you get.  I just read the book

JamesD

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 04:07:58 AM »
Hey JamesD,

you noted that you've done this diet before.

What kind of results did you get.  I just read the book

Well, I only stayed on for 3 weeks...I go to school full-time and not having any carbs was making my head too foggy and couldnt focus as well..

Anyways, in the 3 weeks I lost about 8 lbs..

It can be deceiving depending on the week..During the week with no carbs, you will lose fat and water..Then when the carb-up comes, you gain most of the water back and then some..But, during the week, you will lose it again (so dont worry)

I would change the levels of carbs for the weekend carb-up; It was just too many carbs for me..

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 09:03:05 AM »
I've had great success following this type of diet: Low carb during the week and high carb on the weekends.  However, with BodyOpus, it's so pinpointed to the nail with every single detail covered, that it's IMPOSSIBLE to follow!  In order for it to work as well as I'm sure it could, you have to do everything Dan says to a tee.  You'd think that the weekend carb-up would be the fun part of the diet - but it's not!  It's the most difficult part.  For nearly the first full 24 hours of the carb-up, he only allows LIQUID carbs to be consumed!  After you've been starving for carbs all week, the last thing you want is to drink a glucose beverage!

However, cycling your carbs in this manner is effective for losing bodyfat while maintaining muscle mass (or even gaining some at the same time!).

And by the way, that download is not an "E-Book"...  It's a blatant rip-off of the actual book - photo-copied, scanned and put on the web...

!@#$%

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 01:03:17 PM »
And by the way, that download is not an "E-Book"...  It's a blatant rip-off of the actual book - photo-copied, scanned and put on the web...

That is what I meant by e-book. I like them better than regular books because they don't take up any room.

So does anyone have any "blatant rip-off of actual books"?

D-Jay

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 11:07:21 AM »
Hey JamesD and WhiteHulk,

What kind of beverages did you use for the carb-up phase?

Having a rough time finding a good drink without fructose.  I don't want to resort to powdered dextrose as that just tastes too sweet for me.

I have to say that the second day with zero carbs was a bit miserable!  Headache, fatigued feeling, and generally didn't feel mentally up to par.  After that however, it was all good.  I was amazed that I didn't lose any strength during my workouts without the carbs as well!  Looking forward to seeing the results!!!

Thanks for the replies guys!

JamesD

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 02:34:09 PM »
Hey JamesD and WhiteHulk,

What kind of beverages did you use for the carb-up phase?

Having a rough time finding a good drink without fructose.  I don't want to resort to powdered dextrose as that just tastes too sweet for me.

I have to say that the second day with zero carbs was a bit miserable!  Headache, fatigued feeling, and generally didn't feel mentally up to par.  After that however, it was all good.  I was amazed that I didn't lose any strength during my workouts without the carbs as well!  Looking forward to seeing the results!!!

Thanks for the replies guys!

So are you just starting BodyOpus?  Did you do the suggested induction phase? (I feel this is IMPORTANT)

Dextrose is what Duchaine recomends.. Gatorade has more dextrose, but does contain some fructose (I would stay away).

I would use sugar-free koolaid+dextrose...You're only going to be drinking this for the first 6 or so hours, if I remember correctly..

For some reason I never have the dizzy, foggy, tired feeling before getting into ketosis ( hell, i would even say i feel better)  My energy levels are consistently moderate throughout the day...But, I am very sensitive to carbs (I'm hypoglycemic) and this diet works good for me..

BTW, I feel like shit during the carb-up; my blood glucose levels are all over the map and I actually look forward to getting back to no carbs..

Also, I just started Monday night (5/15/06) so I will keep my progress updated.

My carb-up will be different from what is outlined in the book, though.

D-Jay

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 03:52:41 PM »
The induction phase was Very close to what I have been doing as far as diet goes, so I just jumped right into the Body Opus diet.

This is my first week, but I don't find it unbearable at all.  I will use a powdered sport drink mix for the beginning of the carb-up phase as I can't get dextrose around here....ordered some but won't expect it by tomorrow...lol.

JamesD

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 06:27:47 PM »
The induction phase was Very close to what I have been doing as far as diet goes, so I just jumped right into the Body Opus diet.

This is my first week, but I don't find it unbearable at all.  I will use a powdered sport drink mix for the beginning of the carb-up phase as I can't get dextrose around here....ordered some but won't expect it by tomorrow...lol.

You could buy some 'Sweet tarts' candy, crush it up and mix it into a drink...

Sweet Tarts made of just dextrose, plus they come in many flavors, lol

D-Jay

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2006, 09:09:15 AM »
Okay, I just completed the glycogen depletion workout.

I'm still trying to get down these carbs now.....168 grams of simple carbs/dextrose....

This is disgusting!!!  I can't wait to get to the "real" food.

JamesD

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2006, 03:30:01 PM »
Okay, I just completed the glycogen depletion workout.

I'm still trying to get down these carbs now.....168 grams of simple carbs/dextrose....

This is disgusting!!!  I can't wait to get to the "real" food.

I would make sure to keep track of everything you eat and how you gain during your carb-up, as you may have to adjust next week as I had too..

Good Luck!

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 07:21:34 AM »
Cell-Tech or something similar is a great beverage for the carb-up!  You're muscles will soak up every last drop and get packed with creatine at the same time.  I also used Twinlab's Ultra Fuel - which is just a super-concentrated carb drink.  Good luck and keep us posted!

JamesD

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 03:50:36 PM »
Cell-Tech or something similar is a great beverage for the carb-up!  You're muscles will soak up every last drop and get packed with creatine at the same time.  I also used Twinlab's Ultra Fuel - which is just a super-concentrated carb drink.  Good luck and keep us posted!

Definite Bump to this post...I took creatine with all my dextrose meals during carb-up and seems to work well..

D-Jay

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 09:20:49 PM »
I will definately try the creatine next time around.

I am going to have to rearrange how I work my weekend carb-up because 170 g of dextrose per sitting every 2 hours was just about enough to make me puke.

I also didn't enjoy waking every 2 hours to eat......kinda ruined the weekend for me actually >:(

Has anybody made adjustments to their program?  If so, what did you change?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 09:58:55 PM »

I am going to have to rearrange how I work my weekend carb-up because 170 g of dextrose per sitting every 2 hours was just about enough to make me puke.

I also didn't enjoy waking every 2 hours to eat......kinda ruined the weekend for me actually >:(

I'm hoping Hedgie will chime in here.

UD2 is very similar.  I had a terrible time with the carb up.

Something like UltraFuel just might be your best bet  :-\
:

JamesD

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 04:34:43 AM »

Yes, the carbs were too much for me during the carb-up as I tend to be a little on the heavy side and not all so fast metabolism..

These are the things I changed:

Anyways, so I dropped the carbs to 10g/kg lean BW and worked well for me.. (i think duchaine says 16g/kg, which is too much IMO)

Duchaine even said a few years after the book, that waking up in the middle of the night was not all that important and you will get just as good of results if you eat carbs up until bedtime and start eating again first thing in the morning..

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 06:07:52 AM »
Definitely look into the Ultra Fuel, it's got 100grams of dextrose in each little bottle - makes it quite easy.

Also, I must agree with JamesD, I found that my carb-up weekends worked just as well without getting up in the middle of the night.  I also found, that I really didn't need to follow the super-strict protocol as described in BodyOpus.  As long as I did the ultra-low carb diet during the week and got way into ketosis by Tuesday, then did my Depletion Workout, as long as I just ate an assload of  carbs every chance I got, without making myself sick, the program worked very well for me.