Author Topic: I'm Sick of Myself  (Read 3441 times)

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
Re: I'm Sick of Myself
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2023, 06:47:13 AM »
He will already old.

Haha old looser needs to think about going to Vegas in a year to find cheap excitement.

Old looser will old...

Wise words right there...

Indeed we all do. Someone who has come to old age and calls meditation "garbage" has failed in securing real happiness in life. He titles his thread "I am sick of myself"...I can understand, therefore there is a way to find peace which is in not berating spirituality but going in to it, in ones own way. He may well have lived a hard life, and I have empathy for peoples suffering. I see all around me people living under a dark blanket of inner dis-ease, but when I try to help in a non evangelistic way I am myself berated. Sin city would be the last place I would wish to die. Out in nature under a big oak tree with the birds singing for me. I have been terribly angry lately, forgive me.

Don't worry about it big fella - a lot of people have commented how adversarial this place has been the last few weeks - even more than before*

*Might be something to do with the 'Lunsford Lumps' spreading bad ju-ju

T

Dalnet

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2023, 06:49:55 AM »

*Might be something to do with the 'Lunsford Lumps' spreading bad ju-ju

Agreed. There's something in the air since that atrocious showing. They must have popped and billions of spores have flooded the atmosphere around the World.

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2023, 06:50:20 AM »

I'm finding that the older I'm getting, the more I realise how little I know. I'm reading up, slowly, on Heraclitus at the moment. It's getting increasingly difficult to memorise and bank things, too. I don't want to be old having been distracted by 'pop' music, television, glossy culture. It would be nice to expand an overall sense of knowledge from far better people that have come before me. It's so easy to load up twitter and get incensed at all the divide and conquer politics and evil overlords behind it all; but it's ultimately not going to help my psyche. Like the easy road. Finding it really hard to focus and take in actual literature and knowledge.

TLDR: I'm trying to better myself but it's so fucking hard mentally to grasp things sometimes.

Don't feel so bad, I've taken four - four! fucken attempts to finish Meditations (the Marcus Aurelius kind, not the Zen kind) in the last 12 months - just can't get through the thing.  Guess I must be stoic enough already - time to move on to some Neitzsche and embrace my true nihilism! ;D
T

Dalnet

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2023, 06:55:25 AM »
Don't feel so bad, I've taken four - four! fucken attempts to finish Meditations (the Marcus Aurelius kind, not the Zen kind) in the last 12 months - just can't get through the thing.  Guess I must be stoic enough already - time to move on to some Neitzsche! ;D

Thx. It's not often people will admit trouble with grasping things like that. I'm definitely feeling dejected when I try to get a handle on these 'epics'. I've not read Meditations, but have obviously heard of Marcus Aurelius. This is what I mean: it's only the last few years I'm waking up to really needing to grasp these things, because time is running out, in a sense. Will bookmark your recommendation. Good to know I'm not the only one.

BBSSchlemiel

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2023, 06:56:05 AM »
I went to the O once to see my friend compete. Visiting the expo made me want to go home.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2023, 07:26:17 AM »
So one person does a bad you do it back
Sooooo spiritual
What religion is that Ro?

Tough love, an eye for a soul.

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2023, 07:29:18 AM »

I'm finding that the older I'm getting, the more I realise how little I know. I'm reading up, slowly, on Heraclitus at the moment. It's getting increasingly difficult to memorise and bank things, too. I don't want to be old having been distracted by 'pop' music, television, glossy culture. It would be nice to expand an overall sense of knowledge from far better people that have come before me. It's so easy to load up twitter and get incensed at all the divide and conquer politics and evil overlords behind it all; but it's ultimately not going to help my psyche. Like the easy road. Finding it really hard to focus and take in actual literature and knowledge.

TLDR: I'm trying to better myself but it's so fucking hard mentally to grasp things sometimes.

It is good to know less in a certain sense and BE more. Nature is at peace outside the anthropocentric drama and madness.

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2023, 09:56:04 AM »
OLD LOOSER WILL OLD
Q

unreasonablereasons

• Getbig III
  • Im King of the Slobs
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2023, 10:06:44 AM »
OLD LOOSER WILL OLD

I will I will  :D

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • “Always do what you are afraid to do.” - Emerson
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2023, 10:17:22 AM »
Indeed we all do. Someone who has come to old age and calls meditation "garbage" has failed in securing real happiness in life. He titles his thread "I am sick of myself"...I can understand, therefore there is a way to find peace which is in not berating spirituality but going in to it, in ones own way. He may well have lived a hard life, and I have empathy for peoples suffering. I see all around me people living under a dark blanket of inner dis-ease, but when I try to help in a non evangelistic way I am myself berated. Sin city would be the last place I would wish to die. Out in nature under a big oak tree with the birds singing for me. I have been terribly angry lately, forgive me.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2023, 10:20:04 AM »
It is good to know less in a certain sense and BE more. Nature is at peace outside the anthropocentric drama and madness.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2023, 10:39:02 AM »
Thx. It's not often people will admit trouble with grasping things like that. I'm definitely feeling dejected when I try to get a handle on these 'epics'. I've not read Meditations, but have obviously heard of Marcus Aurelius. This is what I mean: it's only the last few years I'm waking up to really needing to grasp these things, because time is running out, in a sense. Will bookmark your recommendation. Good to know I'm not the only one.

It’s harder to understand because people were more intelligent even in the not so distant past. Have you ever read “Common Sense” or any of the books by the American Founding Fathers? It’s very impressive how smart they were. We just don’t talk like that anymore, I suppose because it isn’t needed because like you say, we get information so quick and dumbed down now we don’t need to be as smart.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2023, 10:41:55 AM »

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2023, 10:46:25 AM »

It’s harder to understand because people were more intelligent even in the not so distant past. Have you ever read “Common Sense” or any of the books by the American Founding Fathers? It’s very impressive how smart they were. We just don’t talk like that anymore, I suppose because it isn’t needed because like you say, we get information so quick and dumbed down now we don’t need to be as smart.

Average people in those days couldn't even read.

The Founding Fathers were the elites of society, highly educated and in most cases wealthy and privileged.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2023, 11:11:38 AM »
Average people in those days couldn't even read.

The Founding Fathers were the elites of society, highly educated and in most cases wealthy and privileged.
Powdered Wigs Of Peace

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2023, 11:42:36 AM »

Something to do with that Ukrainian lady?

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2023, 01:36:03 PM »

If you think that's bad, it took me seven - your read that right - seven(!) attempts over 3 years to read 'A La Recherche La Temps Perdu' - just the first part (Swann's Way).  Finally finished it having gained insight into not very much.  You want to know why?  The translation I struggled through (Moncrieff 1922) had excised all the juicy interaction between the main protagonist (Swann) and his 'fallen woman' girlfriend - essentially gutting the thing...

After that I realised that not all the classics were 'classic'

But if you want something accessible - and very brief - about values and principles that is still relevant today give Candide (Voltaire) try.  Stands up really well, and I love calling people at work 'Panglossian' and watching them thing WTF!  ;D

BW
Taf
T

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2023, 01:46:49 PM »
If you think that's bad, it took me seven - your read that right - seven(!) attempts over 3 years to read 'A La Recherche La Temps Perdu' - just the first part (Swann's Way).  Finally finished it having gained insight into not very much.  You want to know why?  The translation I struggled through (Moncrieff 1922) had excised all the juicy interaction between the main protagonist (Swann) and his 'fallen woman' girlfriend - essentially gutting the thing...

After that I realised that not all the classics were 'classic'

But if you want something accessible - and very brief - about values and principles that is still relevant today give Candide (Voltaire) try.  Stands up really well, and I love calling people at work 'Panglossian' and watching them thing WTF!  ;D

BW
Taf

Try "the book of disquiet" by Fernando Pessoa

"A true perfectionist would never attempt anything because he knows he would always end up failing"

Some great lines in it

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2023, 01:56:51 PM »
Something to do with that Ukrainian lady?

You guessed it. While my mind should be focused on my dying father and feeling emotions connected with that it has been fixating on her atrocious unconsciousness. How in the same woman can there be such sweetness and love and well the total opposite to put it kindly.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2023, 01:58:50 PM »
You guessed it. While my mind should be focused on my dying father and feeling emotions connected with that it has been fixating on her atrocious unconsciousness. How in the same woman can there be such sweetness and love and well the total opposite to put it kindly.

we are all exactly the same, she just doesnt hide hers

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2023, 01:59:45 PM »
Try "the book of disquiet" by Fernando Pessoa

"A true perfectionist would never attempt anything because he knows he would always end up failing"

Some great lines in it

Wow - some strong reviews on Amazon -

Why had I never heard of this book before? The authors insights and observations are many, and often thought provoking gems. It's not a novel. More a window into the mind of a very interesting and deep thinker. 2 pages gives me a days worth of ruminatory fuel. It is remarkable.

Thanks for the tip, I'll pick up a copy and see how I get on  8)
T

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2023, 02:00:48 PM »
Wow - some strong reviews on Amazon -

Why had I never heard of this book before? The authors insights and observations are many, and often thought provoking gems. It's not a novel. More a window into the mind of a very interesting and deep thinker. 2 pages gives me a days worth of ruminatory fuel. It is remarkable.

Thanks for the tip, I'll pick up a copy and see how I get on  8)

it will make you feel better about yourself.  ;)

BigRo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mystical Manspreading
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2023, 02:02:04 PM »
we are all exactly the same, she just doesnt hide hers

no, just no. No,no no, no fucking way no matter how tired or any other excuse under the sun would I behave as she behaves towards me. Your wrong. "I am not the type of person who gives emotional comfort to someone whose father is dying" she has basically said this to me. "Dont involve me in this bullshit"...yeah I have said enough.

joswift

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2023, 02:03:01 PM »
no, just no. No,no no, no fucking way no matter how tired or any other excuse under the sun would I behave as she behaves towards me. Your wrong. "I am not the type of person who gives emotional comfort to someone whose father is dying" she has basically said this to me. "Dont involve me in this bullshit"...yeah I have said enough.

Bit harsh, theres a girl in tune with her shadow.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2023, 02:04:23 PM »

Mate I told you months ago that girl is nuts.

Give her her fucking marching orders, there are a thousand beautiful, stable, kind-hearted women out there who would die to meet a man like you.