Author Topic: training to be a fighter?  (Read 3570 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
training to be a fighter?
« on: May 02, 2006, 07:20:01 AM »
compared to a bodybuilder?  ???  how much of a rift is there between the two when it comes to gym time?

an123

• Getbig IV
Re: training to be a fighter?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 07:25:02 AM »
fighters are in the gym a lot more than bodybuilders... If they aren't at bjj/grappling they are at kickboxing/mt (stand up).  That combined with lifting weights equals a disturbing amount of time.  There are fighters out there that train 6 hours a day...  Bodybuilders need a lot more discipline outside of the gym though.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 07:29:11 AM »
dear god!  :-X  i usually get my workouts done in under 2 hours if i'm hitting it hard...that includes cardio and everything else...

still n talks with a trainer about getting started... :-\  but just listening ot torque getting jazz'd up about his fight is making me wanna scrap all my other hobbies just to get me a piece of that action!  :D

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 08:42:16 AM »
agreed fighters spend a lot of time in the gym, working with weights and cardio, plus sparring and also roadwork in many cases.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 09:24:27 AM »
Most top level MMA fighters do two training sessions a day; one conditioning, and one skill training, with each being 2-3 hours long, sometimes longer. When I say skill training I mean BJJ, Kickboxing, Wrestling and shit like that.  For conditioning they usually run, swim, do plyometerics, and sometimes light weightlifting. All in all, you are looking at between 4-6 hour days to train for fighting.

Predictions
 40/61

torquemada

• Getbig IV
  • Billycarp ruled...
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 03:50:29 PM »
My 2 cents as I've competed as a bb'er and am getting ready for my first MMA fight; I'm training a hell of a lot more (2-3 hours a day) for MMA than bb'ing.  If I wasn't having to drop weight to make a class, I'd say I like the way I feel alot more doing this.

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 10:07:20 PM »
REAL bodybuilders are training 24/7.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 12:40:28 AM »
REAL bodybuilders are training 24/7.

Yeah, but most of them have piss poor cardio and can't take a punch.
Predictions
 40/61

bailey

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 03:36:27 AM »
Good post an123 : The thing is Its very hard to be very good at both
(I'll tell you why ) because if you've been fighting even for a short time
you are always hurt. Nothing that major, but when you are grappling allot and doing BJJ, you are always pulling something, or hurting something like for example, fingers, torqued arms, shoulders, all things you need to be in great shape In order to bodybuild. Also,
Having an offseason in bodybuilding doesnt help your cardio which is a " HUGE " part of MMA. The two don't mix very well. It's fine to do both on a certian level, but you cant be a competitive bodybuilder and practice MMA on an extreme level. You jus cant do both !!

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 08:05:15 AM »
I can attest to the annoying injuries you get in bjj.  Just last night I got a knee in the face trying to pass someones guard, and my ear has ballooned out to the point it is affecting my hearing.  Although I must say, my body as a whole has adjusted to the additional stress of bjj and i'm not getting the muscle strains as much anymore.