Author Topic: Can You Build Legs Without Squats  (Read 9852 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Can You Build Legs Without Squats
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 02:15:56 PM »
Try to go for 100 reps on leg press.  I couldn't it at some light ass weight but despite the light weight, my legs were fried doing one set of 40 and another of 30.
this is slightly absurd

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2006, 03:11:14 AM »
Well what is an alternative?

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2006, 03:21:56 AM »
Well what is an alternative?

davie

If you refuse to do squats I would start pre-exhausting.  Do 5 set of 12 reps on leg extensions to failure.  Then do 5 sets of leg press with slow reps and breaking 90 degrees (but no more).  Rep ranges for those 5 sets could be 15-12-10-8-8.  The I would look for one more pressing move, either hack squats or single leg presses.  Then finish off your quads with some walking lunges, holding dumbbells in your hands.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2006, 11:15:07 AM »
Box squats work for me when I don't have a spotter.  Maybe it's a false sense of security, but I'm confident when I do them.  It keeps my form perfect.  I set up 4 risers & a step which is the perfect height for me to get below parallel.  I don't pause on the bottom, just tap.

http://www.bsu.edu/webapps2/strengthlab/home.htm

http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/boxsquat.html

http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls9.htm

:

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2006, 07:45:02 PM »
you can do this huge number of various other excercises, or you can get the same or better results from 5 sets of barbell squats alone.
all girls should squat. nothing developed the ass and hammies like these except maybe weighted lunges. thats why all these fitness girls have great asses

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2006, 01:56:00 AM »
you can do this huge number of various other excercises, or you can get the same or better results from 5 sets of barbell squats alone.
all girls should squat. nothing developed the ass and hammies like these except maybe weighted lunges. thats why all these fitness girls have great asses

I fully agree with this statement... nothing is better than squats

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2006, 02:48:58 AM »
I agree aswell, but wen u suffer lower back pain and may sciatic nerve damage then u gotta stay away from the, trust me id love to base my workouts round bacl/front squats and deads,but this summer i dont think i can. i need alternatives that can build my legs and have little to no impact on lower back?!

Im also gonna have to stay away from cleans and clean press, which sucks as i love doing the, to!!

davie

KSA

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2006, 05:02:06 AM »
A trap/shrug bar

Squat belt (www.ironmind.com)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2006, 05:15:24 AM »
Does a weight belt (like straps) not help protect back but can weaken it as ur eliminating the mkuscle building benifits of the exercise??

davie

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2006, 02:01:18 AM »
I'll be truthful.  I'm fearful of squats.  I'm 37, I drive 2+ hrs per day, I can't imagine being in pain from an injury given my situation.  Plus I workout at home without a spotter.  So the question is, can I use enough alternate exercizes to build decent legs without squats?  I realize that to many bodybuilders, squats are the "Holy Grail" of exercises so don't be too harsh in your response, just honest and hopefully helpful.

"Holy Grail" is right.  I hate doing them, but I think squats are the best exercise in the gym.  I've been doing them since I was a teenager.  Played football in high school and college (RB/FB) and never had a knee injury.  I think squats played a significant role.  I'll do them forever. 

You shouldn't worry about injuries.  If you perform every rep with perfect form and have that "mind-muscle connection," you'll be fine.  I've never had a training injury, even though I do squats and deadlifts (the second best exercise in the gym IMO) pretty much every week. 

On the other hand, I've had tons of softball injuries the past few years.  Brutal sport.  But I digress . . . .  :) 

The_Crusher

• Getbig II
  • It's not a workout until you bust blood vessels
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2006, 08:53:01 PM »
YES - Leg Press all the way! Vary your footing and you can hit all muscles groups without injury to your lower back. For me, it is the best way to build quads.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2006, 08:42:09 AM »
I agree aswell, but wen u suffer lower back pain and may sciatic nerve damage then u gotta stay away from the, trust me id love to base my workouts round bacl/front squats and deads,but this summer i dont think i can. i need alternatives that can build my legs and have little to no impact on lower back?!
davie

With sciatica, I'd stay away from deads, but you may want to rethink the squats.  Keep your hammies stretched along with working them.  Do a search on Piriformis Syndrome for more info on sciatica pain.
:

bald

• Getbig IV
  • Squat Till You Puke!
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2006, 08:42:35 AM »
I'll be truthful.  I'm fearful of squats.  I'm 37, I drive 2+ hrs per day, I can't imagine being in pain from an injury given my situation.  Plus I workout at home without a spotter.  So the question is, can I use enough alternate exercizes to build decent legs without squats?  I realize that to many bodybuilders, squats are the "Holy Grail" of exercises so don't be too harsh in your response, just honest and hopefully helpful.

Yes, but don't be a pussy.  Do squats.
W

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2006, 09:13:52 PM »
If you don't do deep squats (with any weight) your a bitch plain and simple, how do you expect to be a man without having squats as a mainstay in your workout routine :)

By the way best leg exercise ever (don't be a bitch, stretch your old ass legs) 8)
I

ZEEK

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • WTF this stuff really works
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2006, 10:15:07 AM »
this is funny? I dont do squats! and almost every dude in the gym that is twice my size busting ass on legs and shit are always asking me what i do to get my legs big. Squats are nothing but a chance for people to see how much weight they can push,all you guys are so worried how much weight you can bench or squat,then you come and ask stupid questions?I do alot of walking and stair climbing.

sure the guy can squat 500lbs WOW but he still looks like ass! I have never squated,and I dont care how much i can squat,

so to answer your question? yes you can build legs without squating.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2006, 12:13:52 PM »
Squats are nothing but a chance for people to see how much weight they can push
  ::)

sure the guy can squat 500lbs WOW but he still looks like ass! I have never squated,and I dont care how much i can squat,

so to answer your question? yes you can build legs without squating.

Don't forget, genetics goes a long way.
:

BallzDeep69

« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2006, 01:28:05 PM »
Legs respond more lively to high reps.  I do 12-15 reps on squats, and that's ass to the floor. 

I think you could build some decent leg size doing things like sprints, stair climbing and mountain climbing especially if you have a huge pack on your back.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2006, 03:10:28 PM »

Yes, but don't be a pussy.  Do squats.
hahaha  ;D