Author Topic: Grapefruit juice n absorption .also my thoughts on Gastric emptying  (Read 2068 times)

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=grapefruit+juice+absorption+

grapefruit juice seems to increase absorption of many chemicals thru the GI

wonder what it'd do for orals?
\
\

also a thought

taking orals with food(esp fiber) = slower gastric emptying times = more absorption thru GI???
carpe` vaginum!

youandme

• Getbig V
It's actually Dangerous, several reports in hospitals note not to give patients medicine with grapefruit juice

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...

\
\

also a thought

taking orals with food(esp fiber) = slower gastric emptying times = more absorption thru GI???

When I was drinking winny, it was always with a glass of grapefruit juice :)

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....

\
\

also a thought

Junaid,

There is a chemical in Grapefruit juice that speeds up absorbtion and also prolongs the effects of whatever drug it is used with.

In the case of AAS this is a good thing.  I have used it with all orals and it is predictable in terms of time-release.

Just be sure you know what you are taking and there won't be problems.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
thanx Div...and yesh back in the day (when dan D ws alive) some company ws selling that chemical( Grape fruit juice) in pill form...
carpe` vaginum!

DIVISION

• Getbig V
thanx Div...and yesh back in the day (when dan D ws alive) some company ws selling that chemical( Grape fruit juice) in pill form...

I believe it's called "naringen" and yes it was in capsules.

I have no idea why they can't be found anywhere today.

DIV

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
I believe it's called "naringen" and yes it was in capsules.

I have no idea why they can't be found anywhere today.

DIV

for some reason..other than online one cant find a good vanadyl product either..

works wayyyy better than these NO boosters ...its just a step below metaformin (see i know my shit  ;D )

naringen <-- thats it..damn u have a good memory

carpe` vaginum!

DIVISION

• Getbig V
for some reason..other than online one cant find a good vanadyl product either..

works wayyyy better than these NO boosters ...its just a step below metaformin (see i know my shit  ;D )

naringen <-- thats it..damn u have a good memory

Remember, Lil' Junaid

I, too, am from the Duchaine era.

I know what he wrote.

BTW:  that's "Metformin".  I had a script for it at one time and it didn't do anything for me. 

I do like Vanadyle Sulfate though.

DIV

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
i had a friend working at a pharm back then

so  nolva ws always free so ws halotestin (i mean i'd have shitloads of that stuff sitting around on me and i'd give it away for free cause i didn't like how it gave me headaches) and i ws one of those people using arimidex wayy before anyone  had ever head about it.   ;D 
it ws still in the trial stage and  i'd get em in individually packed paper wraps..each pill ws packaged in a little paper thingy..with "not for human consumption" on the paper...  :-\
i tried both met and phenphormin <sp?>

both filled me up.but no more than vanadyl.. :-\
carpe` vaginum!

bigrose

• Getbig II
naringen extends the half life of caffeine. DHB (dihydroxybergamottin) is a compound from grapefruit that helps with the absorption of certain items (andro, non-methylated products, test boosters, etc.). Lots of companies put naringen in their products, and i know that at least Sci-Fit has a straight DHB pill.

tommyguns

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Grapefruit juice n absorption .also my thoughts on Gastric emptying
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 10:37:00 AM »
Just read the following article, and thought it was pertinent, particularly with the question about use with oral medications.  Sounds like it clearly works.

U.S. researchers said they have identified the compound in grapefruit juice that affects how some drugs are absorbed in the body and said on Tuesday it might be used to help lower dosages for some patients.

Grapefruit juice is known for its effects on drug metabolism and is avoided by some patients while other deliberately take their drugs with the juice.  The reason is an intestinal enzyme called CYP3A, which partially destroys drugs as they are absorbed. Grapefruit juice, like no other fruit juice, interferes with CYP3A, so the body ends up absorbing more of the drug.

Dr. Paul Watkins of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and colleagues say they have identified the substance in grapefruit juice that is responsible -- furanocoumarin.

"It should now be possible to market the furanocoumarin-free grapefruit juice to patients who would otherwise need to avoid grapefruit," Watkins said in a statement. "In addition, it should be possible to screen new foods for the potential for drug interactions by determining whether they contain furanocoumarins," Watkins said. "Finally, it may be possible to add furanocoumarins to formulations of certain drugs that tend to be poorly or erratically absorbed to improve their oral delivery."

To test the theory that furanocoumarin was the responsible compound, Watkins and colleagues filtered it out grapefruit juice, which they discovered was then less bitter but otherwise unaltered. Then they tested 18 men and women taking various drugs on a regular basis including aspirin and birth control pills. Each fasted in the hospital and got a single dose of the blood pressure drug felopidine, sold under the brand name Plendil, along with either normal grapefruit juice, furanocoumarin-free juice or orange juice. They then ate and drank normally and blood was taken regularly all day. In each volunteer, the normal grapefruit juice made between 6 percent to 230 percent more Plendil available in the blood, the researchers reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. The furanocoumarin-free grapefruit juice and orange juice had no such effect, they reported.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 01:46:50 PM »
thanx Tom...
carpe` vaginum!

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 11:20:07 AM »
Just read the following article, and thought it was pertinent, particularly with the question about use with oral medications.  Sounds like it clearly works.

U.S. researchers said they have identified the compound in grapefruit juice that affects how some drugs are absorbed in the body and said on Tuesday it might be used to help lower dosages for some patients.

Grapefruit juice is known for its effects on drug metabolism and is avoided by some patients while other deliberately take their drugs with the juice.  The reason is an intestinal enzyme called CYP3A, which partially destroys drugs as they are absorbed. Grapefruit juice, like no other fruit juice, interferes with CYP3A, so the body ends up absorbing more of the drug.

Dr. Paul Watkins of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and colleagues say they have identified the substance in grapefruit juice that is responsible -- furanocoumarin.

"It should now be possible to market the furanocoumarin-free grapefruit juice to patients who would otherwise need to avoid grapefruit," Watkins said in a statement. "In addition, it should be possible to screen new foods for the potential for drug interactions by determining whether they contain furanocoumarins," Watkins said. "Finally, it may be possible to add furanocoumarins to formulations of certain drugs that tend to be poorly or erratically absorbed to improve their oral delivery."

To test the theory that furanocoumarin was the responsible compound, Watkins and colleagues filtered it out grapefruit juice, which they discovered was then less bitter but otherwise unaltered. Then they tested 18 men and women taking various drugs on a regular basis including aspirin and birth control pills. Each fasted in the hospital and got a single dose of the blood pressure drug felopidine, sold under the brand name Plendil, along with either normal grapefruit juice, furanocoumarin-free juice or orange juice. They then ate and drank normally and blood was taken regularly all day. In each volunteer, the normal grapefruit juice made between 6 percent to 230 percent more Plendil available in the blood, the researchers reported in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. The furanocoumarin-free grapefruit juice and orange juice had no such effect, they reported.

Good Article, Thomas.

Not only does Naringen allow the body to absorb more of the drug in question through blockage of CYP3A, but it also extends the duration of the drug's effects.

So that's a two fold increase in effectiveness which helps when used with AAS orals.

I have been taking all my orals with Grapefruit juice for awhile.

DIV