The counter is he is ending a "forever war".
I did not want any new conflicts as well, especially since I have a son who would be draft eligible.
However, I have been resigned to the fact that since Oct 7th, escalation to these levels was unavoidable.
No matter what we say, a destabilized middle east / nuclear iran will affect us, so our participation was inevitable, and Israel likely forced the timing by getting ready to go all in.
If it can be wrapped soon, fine. I know it's a big IF, but we'll see.
I disagree that our participation was inevitable. We didn’t have to get involved at all.
I also don’t believe a nuclear Iran would affect us in a major way. It would primarily threaten Saudi Arabia, Israel, and Turkey. We’ve already lived with a nuclear Pakistan since the 1990s, and it hasn’t affected me at all. It only affects the Indians.
A destabilized middle east does affect us, but we’re the ones who destabilized it. Shipping was flowing smoothly before we took out their leadership. We would have been better off keeping the Iranians repressed with their old Ayatollah and preserving open shipping lanes. Trump should stop doubling down on a bad call, take the L, and move on.