Author Topic: What happens to the sport when Weider finally croaks?  (Read 8612 times)

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
What happens to the sport when Weider finally croaks?
« on: May 09, 2006, 07:13:57 AM »
To take my mind off the fast looming horrors of domestic fascism and peak oil, I was pondering the more manageably sized doom scenario of what happens to bodybuilding competition when Joe Weider squeezes out his truly final rep and begins his eternity of torment in the fiery nether regions of Hell. [You can't really picture him working abs with Eugen Sandow in Gold's Gym Heaven, can you?]

Does Ben assume control - like Charles finally ascending the throne of England after a life wasted playing second fiddle? Does Vince McMahon try to revive the WBF? Do the athletes - their last tenuous link with financial security severed - turn full time to selling steroids and/or ass?

Discuss.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
Re: What happens to the sport when Weider finally croaks?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 07:30:20 AM »
The bodybuilders might actually start making some money once that senile bastard croaks.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 07:31:40 AM »
Hasn't he basically sold everything already?
X

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 07:35:47 AM »
Hasn't he basically sold everything already?

"Just over a year ago Weider sold his fleet of magazines for $350 million, but he continues to serve on the board of the current publisher."

http://www.utexas.edu/education/news/weidnerdonat.html

pwn3d

• Getbig II
  • pwn3d pwn3d pwn3d pwn3d pwn3d pwn3d
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 07:40:41 AM »
he's the colonel sanders of bodybuilding

they'll manage just fine
pwn3d[move]

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 07:54:02 AM »
Dont know why most people here hate on Joe Weider so much. I don't know him personally or even a lot of the actual events surrounding his life, but he is to bodybuilding what Henry Ford is to cars. Sure he may have ruffled a few feathers on the way and all, but he never put a gun to someone's head or forced anyone into any situation. I'm sure any of his associates / employees / athletes had ample opportunities to read contracts and refuse them if they wanted. Voluntarily signing a (Weider) contract and then winging about the terms of it is just as pathetic as the people who sue Tobacco companies after chain smoking themselves into lung cancer.

I know people like Onlyme constantly bash the IFBB, but if you think about it, did the IFBB actually force anyone to do anything - NO. Anyone else feel this way  ???

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 07:54:13 AM »
Shawn Ray & Bob Chick will try to be the new messiahs.:-\

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 09:04:26 AM »
There will be no money for the bbers. They will have to fight for every cent. Some will even turn to gay-4-pay and/or selling drugs for income. Shows will be fixed, and the Olympia will be a shell of its former self. The bbers rep will be turn out to be a "company man" as opposed to representing the bber's best interests. Flex mag will turn to recycling their articles, and pretend the drugs don't exist in bbing. Women's bbing will be moved to the expo, and will become an afterthought.

Oh wait, you said after Weider croaks.............. :-\
HAHA, RON.....

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 09:06:47 AM »
It will go back to what it was BEFORE Weider.
Z

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 09:08:07 AM »
hopefully the sport will evolve without the current political bullshit it has
Scouser on Tour

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 01:06:19 PM »
Dont they have any children? I figured at least Joe would - Betty Weider was mint. I can honestly say I would have been all over that all day long.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 01:09:43 PM »
what happens to bodybuilding competition when Joe Weider squeezes out his truly final rep

Maybe he will do some forced reps and some negatives. :o
The House that Ruth built

ether

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 01:10:08 PM »
Shawn Ray & Bob Chick will try to be the new messiahs.:-\

Yeah, SUUUUURE they are.

Shawn Ray and Chick were probably made all kinds of promisses by the old bastard, but, in one final agonizing blow....he will leave it all to coleman!!!!!

thisiskeith12

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 01:11:44 PM »
Weider is part of what's wrong with bodybuilding. Bodybuilding was his business, and that's why it's not a sport.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 01:12:46 PM »
Dont they have any children? I figured at least Joe would - Betty Weider was mint. I can honestly say I would have been all over that all day long.

Betty had an awesome v-taper with that tiny waist and those huge orbs.
The House that Ruth built

Naked4Jesus

• Getbig IV
  • You can save a IFBB Pro today by donating a kidney
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 01:13:05 PM »
To take my mind off the fast looming horrors of domestic fascism and peak oil, I was pondering the more manageably sized doom scenario of what happens to bodybuilding competition when Joe Weider squeezes out his truly final rep and begins his eternity of torment in the fiery nether regions of Hell. [You can't really picture him working abs with Eugen Sandow in Gold's Gym Heaven, can you?]

Does Ben assume control - like Charles finally ascending the throne of England after a life wasted playing second fiddle? Does Vince McMahon try to revive the WBF? Do the athletes - their last tenuous link with financial security severed - turn full time to selling steroids and/or ass?

Discuss.

There's a passage on this in the book of musclelations.  His death will mark the birth of the second beast, or what you would also call the second coming of Arnold.  The message is clear, a new Arnold will emerge and grow into the next legend but just as the first beast gave birth to modern bodybuilding the second beast will eventually bring about it's death.  The time draws near gentleman.  

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 01:13:28 PM »
Joe Weider is already out of bodybuilding.   Ben is the one in control of the IFBB.   Joe had the magazines.  Ben had the IFBB.   Joe sold the mags to AFI.  Ben still runs the IFBB.

However, when they're both gone, I think there will be a lot of tell-all books.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 01:26:50 PM »
If Betty had any kids they probably aren't Joes, if you know what I mean.  Plus, when the Weiders go, then finally BB will move forward and more money will be given out.  Who will run it. 

thisiskeith12

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 01:28:39 PM »
If Betty had any kids they probably aren't Joes, if you know what I mean.  Plus, when the Weiders go, then finally BB will move forward and more money will be given out.  Who will run it. 

Agreed, bodybuilding has been boxed up with the Weiders!

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 01:33:23 PM »

Could you elucidate further?

RHINO290

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 02:04:52 PM »

Discuss.

Not sure, but I think the weiders are already dead, they just don't want to accept it!!!!!!!!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 02:06:39 PM »
he's the colonel sanders of bodybuilding

they'll manage just fine

when weider dies, things will only get better...

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 02:07:28 PM »
Dont know why most people here hate on Joe Weider so much.

Because the truth must be told. 

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 02:25:07 PM »
Not sure, but I think the weiders are already dead, they just don't want to accept it!!!!!!!!!

They might not die for a while. Joe's mother lived past 100! :o

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 02:28:17 PM »
Without 'em, I don't know, I'm guessing it might turn into something of a freak show.

Should be a Principle that covers this, no?