Author Topic: Muscular Development's Bigger Plan?  (Read 4722 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Muscular Development's Bigger Plan?
« on: May 09, 2006, 09:34:58 PM »
FLEX is in the milking stage.  the higher-ups are restructing their deals and prepping their resumes, and of course planning their spin-offs.  It'll be split, restructured, resold, everyone will get rich, and FLEX will get new ownership.  They'll try to keep content the same, but with the PDI taking a bigger piece, they'll slowly get locked out of more and more coverage and more importantly, athletes.  You see...

MD is planning ahead- signing all the up and coming pros, and making nice with the PDI.

Think about it:  Vic M. Branch.  DHenry.  Melvin.  Dexter.  Cormier.  Cook.  Priest.  Gustavo.  These are all MD athletes.   Tell me that lineup wouldn't look good on a PDI stage.  And suppose 8 or 10 top MD pros decide to go simultaneously?  It would GUT the IFBB O lineup.  Jay, Gunter, and Coleman will likely be done inside 3-4 years.  MD is going to be the PDI's best friend.  We already heard J Romano brekaing rank and telling Pro Bbing weekly that he thinks the PDI will be quite strong in 3 years.

Anyway, that's what I would do if I was MD.  Treated like crap at IFBB events.  Unable to speak with Cutler, Coleman, Gunter.  Locked out of all the top guys for so long.  Tell me they wouldn't love to become the next powerhouse with PDI- where FLEX is now with the IFBB.  Where the athletes go, the fans go. And if MD can make sweet enough deals with the SuppCo's, even if it means taking an initial financial hit, they could come out on top for the next decade :)

thisiskeith12

Re: Muscular Development's Bigger Plan?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 09:38:20 PM »
FLEX is in the milking stage.  the higher-ups are restructing their deals and prepping their resumes, and of course planning their spin-offs.  It'll be split, restructured, resold, everyone will get rich, and FLEX will get new ownership.  They'll try to keep content the same, but with the PDI taking a bigger piece, they'll slowly get locked out of more and more coverage and more importantly, athletes.  You see...

MD is planning ahead- signing all the up and coming pros, and making nice with the PDI.

Think about it:  Vic M. Branch.  DHenry.  Melvin.  Dexter.  Cormier.  Cook.  Priest.  Gustavo.  These are all MD athletes.   Tell me that lineup wouldn't look good on a PDI stage.  And suppose 8 or 10 top MD pros decide to go simultaneously?  It would GUT the IFBB O lineup.  Jay, Gunter, and Coleman will likely be done inside 3-4 years.  MD is going to be the PDI's best friend.  We already heard J Romano brekaing rank and telling Pro Bbing weekly that he thinks the PDI will be quite strong in 3 years.

Anyway, that's what I would do if I was MD.  Treated like crap at IFBB events.  Unable to speak with Cutler, Coleman, Gunter.  Locked out of all the top guys for so long.  Tell me they wouldn't love to become the next powerhouse with PDI- where FLEX is now with the IFBB.  Where the athletes go, the fans go. And if MD can make sweet enough deals with the SuppCo's, even if it means taking an initial financial hit, they could come out on top for the next decade :)

Steve needs to quit being so balls to the wall with his magazine, however he shouldn't be like Muscle and Fitness either.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 09:40:39 PM »
I think the niche may be getting a little smaller, but stronger.  THey might lose a few readers by going so hardcore- but those readers they retain tend to continually buy the magazine, since it is the most real BBing mag out there.  FLEX is just a joke now- they don't know what they want to be anymore.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 09:42:23 PM »
I think the niche may be getting a little smaller, but stronger.  THey might lose a few readers by going so hardcore- but those readers they retain tend to continually buy the magazine, since it is the most real BBing mag out there.  FLEX is just a joke now- they don't know what they want to be anymore.

Why do they allow Valentino to work for them?!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 09:44:42 PM »
Why do they allow Valentino to work for them?!

IMO-
MD has a target market- hardcore Bbers or wannabe hardcore BBers.
GV has a target market- lower intelligence uncouth animals who enjoy potty humor.
These groups often overlap :)

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 09:46:42 PM »
just limit each issue to 100 pages, then people will be more likely to read it, and therefore more are likely to buy it

thisiskeith12

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 09:47:43 PM »
IMO-
GV has a target market- lower intelligence uncouth animals who enjoy potty humor.

Thanks for continuing to encourage bodybuilding as uneducated and immature!

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 09:50:09 PM »

Liberal propaganda ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 09:53:40 PM »
Thanks for continuing to encourage bodybuilding as uneducated and immature!

Obviously I don't encourage it, nor do I believe I fall into the second group I mentioned.  However, it would be irresponsible for me NOT to be aware of the tendencies and interests of the customers in this industry.  It is my job, ya know ;)

mikediesel

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 10:00:02 PM »
MD is the only magazine worth buying. All the Ads suck, but not to the point where i will stop subscribing. MD starting an alliance with PDI is a very smart thing, and if for some reason PDI fails (I highly doubt it will) then it will go back to covering the only game in town (IFBB). It's a win/win situation for Steve

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 10:04:24 PM »
Yeah, he already has to buy his tickets, cannot interview guys signed with Weider, and basically gets treated like ass by the IFBB.  You know that every time they disrespected him in the past (they used to bitch about it but now downplay it), he prayed for another BBing federation to appear that he could get in with. 

thisiskeith12

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 10:15:26 PM »
Obviously I don't encourage it, nor do I believe I fall into the second group I mentioned.  However, it would be irresponsible for me NOT to be aware of the tendencies and interests of the customers in this industry.  It is my job, ya know ;)

I was mainly referring to them, not you.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 10:20:35 PM »
ahh.  Bbing mag buying audience is dual-centered.  average age 19 year old males trying to get big, and 36 year old males trying to retain their youth.  Sure, you have the he-schmoes and the closet and open homos, but in general, people read MD because 1) they want muscles, and 2) they have outgrown FLEX.

The newbie would read Flex and MD and probably be confused and bored with MD.  He wouldn't "get" the political/social side, and the gear stuff would go right over his head.  He'd read FLEX, and would enjoy the spoonfed info and blurbed presentation manner.  MD is often like a dirty textbook, while FLEX is a PC hallmark card with guys making funny lifting faces.

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 10:21:19 PM »
Jean Francois would bring MD a new and exciting readership and boost sales astronomically

It is written

for he is....

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 10:22:01 PM »
GV and JF should battle for supremacy. 

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 10:26:48 PM »
GV and JF should battle for supremacy. 

Has he contacted you for a 300 website?

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 10:33:47 PM »
the funny thing is that magazines can change so quickly.   from some people's postings here, you'd think MD has always been great and Flex has always sucked.  Since Grimek left the scene, MD has had many variations, including the "All Natural Muscular Development" for a few years, which bombed, and then what I can only describe as the British tabloid years, with the naked breasts inside.  That bombed too.

mikediesel

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 10:39:42 PM »
the funny thing is that magazines can change so quickly.   from some people's postings here, you'd think MD has always been great and Flex has always sucked.  Since Grimek left the scene, MD has had many variations, including the "All Natural Muscular Development" for a few years, which bombed, and then what I can only describe as the British tabloid years, with the naked breasts inside.  That bombed too.

It's called adapt and overcome. If they failed with other type of formats and finally found one that work, then props to them.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 02:40:48 PM »

I'll take the "Wait-and-see" attitude. I remember having similar thoughts when the World Bodybuilding Federation hit. All Weider did was replace the 13 guys who went to the WBF with new stars, like Kevin Levrone, Flex Wheeler, Paul Dillet, etc.

If the aforementioned guys go to this new organization, there'll be other guys waiting in the wings to take their place.

As for the magazine issue, how many times has FLEX been on the brink of death, according to some people here on this forum?

Regarding the relationship between the IFBB and the folks at MD, aren't you leaving out a few items? It ain't like the guys at that magazine were boy scouts. When Andreas Munzer died, the MD guys crucified the IFBB brass, blaming them for setting the conditions that caused his death. Also recall that they made claim after claim that guys were dying or getting really sick, trying to replicate the size and freakiness of Dorian Yates. That would explain why Yates flatly turned MD down, when asked to write for the magazine.

Not to mention the fact that one of MD's writers has a nasty reputation for starting rumors and flat out LYING!!!!

A most memorable example of such happened about 10 years ago, involving claims that a Twinlab guy got screwed at the 1996 North American Championship. This writer made the statement that the eventual overall champion apologized to the allegedly-screwed competitor, saying that guy deserved to win.

Two problems, though: (1) The writer, who started all this mess DID NOT ATTEND THE SHOW, according to his article; (2) A number of fans who did attend the contest (and the winner of that show, himself) wrote letters to MuscleMag, stating that this writer was lying through his teeth. There was no controversy at that show and the guy who won did so, hands down, both his class and the overall.

Not to mention all the flap about "politics" and non-Weider athletes not being able to win the big one. Never mind the fact that Lee Haney won his last two Olympias while working for Twinlab and MD, or the fact that Ronnie Coleman won his first Olympia, working for MET-Rx and his last two Olympias, working for BSN.

And, lest we forget, the bad blood started, due to the supplement competition, when the Weiders had their supplement company and the Blechmans owned Twinlab. As for the exclusive contract business, Joe Weider addressed that in an interview he did with MuscleMag over a decade ago. Weider put it this way, "If you own a business, would you pay someone's salary and have them work for someone else?"

When the interviewer suggested that letting a bodybuilder appear in other mags would give the athlete greater exposure, Weider stated that other supplement companies should pitch in and split the deal with him. He later claim that, when it came to his magazines, he didn't even use 90% of the athletes he had under contract.

ether

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 07:15:17 PM »
IMO-

Who is FLEX's Target Audience???? I'm guessing they are appealing to a particular part of society by having all the bodybuilders dress up in lumberjack and construction outfits?

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 07:19:27 PM »
Who is FLEX's Target Audience???? I'm guessing they are appealing to a particular part of society by having all the bodybuilders dress up in lumberjack and construction outfits?

Teenage boys and postal workers

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 07:32:04 PM »

part-time sport followers, or total beginners seeking rehashed info and inspiration.  They don't try to evolve or cater to people with experience.  If you've followed the sport or lifted for more than 2 years, FLEX has nothing to offer.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2006, 11:37:39 AM »
part-time sport followers, or total beginners seeking rehashed info and inspiration.  They don't try to evolve or cater to people with experience.  If you've followed the sport or lifted for more than 2 years, FLEX has nothing to offer.

I beg to differ. I've been training for nearly 17 years, and I think FLEX has plenty to offer.