Author Topic: Figure bodies verses fitness bodies  (Read 3723 times)

hardlyhard

• Getbig II
Figure bodies verses fitness bodies
« on: May 10, 2006, 10:25:06 AM »
Whats the difference? Is there really a difference?  If so, are there some new rules that line it out? 

Im curious, I have a pro that trains in my gym(Kim Seeley) who is in my opinion very attractive facially and has a great body.  We got in some what of a heated debate yesterday about there being a distinct difference in the physiques these days between the 2 divisions.  Is there?  She claims yes, I claim no. 

Jenny Lynn came from fitness and is the ideal figure physique so this cant be at all the case . . .but apparently . ..  they(2 judges) told Kim, amongst other temporary crossovers when she did figure, that it would be best to go back to fitness if injuries allowed.  That she had an "athletic appearance because of her conditioning, traps and pec development and she was not as feminine or curvy".  Huh?  Ouch.

Someone enlighten me? So should fitness girls NEVER cross over even if they have no other choice?

HardlyHard

Fit Figures

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Fitness & Figure Competition Team
Re: Figure bodies verses fitness bodies
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 11:55:58 AM »
Whats the difference? Is there really a difference?  If so, are there some new rules that line it out? 

Im curious, I have a pro that trains in my gym(Kim Seeley) who is in my opinion very attractive facially and has a great body.  We got in some what of a heated debate yesterday about there being a distinct difference in the physiques these days between the 2 divisions.  Is there?  She claims yes, I claim no. 

Jenny Lynn came from fitness and is the ideal figure physique so this cant be at all the case . . .but apparently . ..  they(2 judges) told Kim, amongst other temporary crossovers when she did figure, that it would be best to go back to fitness if injuries allowed.  That she had an "athletic appearance because of her conditioning, traps and pec development and she was not as feminine or curvy".  Huh?  Ouch.

Someone enlighten me? So should fitness girls NEVER cross over even if they have no other choice?

HardlyHard

Technically, the physique criteria is the same for fitness and figure.  However, as figure has developed over the last few years, the trend I've noticed is that figure physiques have more flowing and pleasing lines - full muscles but not dense separation.  I think many fitness competitors' bodies are more densely muscled and "athletic" looking.  Many tend to develop that way from the routine training.  Whatever the case, if you look closely at the top placing athletes in both divisions, you will notice a difference.  That being said, I don't think it's impossible for a girl to do well in both.  It just depends on how balanced she is between the two looks.  Harder, more muscular girls stand to do better physique-wise in fitness, while girls with a streamlined, flowing physique and a good balance of feminine development and conditioning fare well in figure.

Just my opinion.

Alissa

Lateralus

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 12:27:12 PM »
i concur alissa  ;)  well said! ;D

hardlyhard

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 01:07:26 PM »
Thanks Alissa. Actually it makes sense on the pro level.  Very well said.  But they really need to make some changes in the criteria.  I had always just looked at them exactly the same. but in looking at the top figure pros they do seem to be more rounded and full and not nearly as dense and seperated(except for monica).  there are always exceptions .

and what you said about the training of routines is exactly what Kim said. . ."that over the years she had to have functional muscle for strength moves and she cant help that her chest and traps are thicker".  It is just very interesting that it is working itself out this way. 

I wonder if trainers are keeping that in mind with figure athletes.  Thanks.  makes total sense. 

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 02:58:52 PM »
interesting as the last time I asked Sandy   i was told that they are to look the same..however I definitely think that the fitness athletes will develop more muscle due to routine training. I would even say that a few years ago at the O, the figure girls were harder than most of the fitness girls.. however that may be changing.

marcie999

• Getbig III
  • History is written by buggers who weren't there
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 11:03:25 PM »
I think it comes down to the aesthetic. Fitness looks more ripped (an image enhanced by the way their bodies look while doing their routines). It gives a strong impression of being athletic. More width in the centres of the muscles and more separation. I definately think some of the fitness girls could compete in figure if they had slightly more body fat that when they compete in fitness.
Figure is hard but smoother. The curves resulting from the way they work out, power/strength moves not being necessary in their routines. 

I dont know if I could pick out one from the other if they stood side by side with their faces hidden. The judging in the competitions seems to be all over the place, so its no guide either. It may become clearer over time if the judges stick by what they say it should be.

Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 11:11:00 PM »
Most of the women look hot.

Get rid of the one-piece round.

That is all.

Lateralus

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 07:41:53 AM »
I agree they all look hawt!!!!  :o

Just keep the 2 piece round!   ;D

hardlyhard

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 08:18:52 AM »
so then do figure girls train different with weights than fitness chics or is it all the other training on top of weights that make changes in development? or should they train different for a different look.  what do trainers feel on this issue?  what do some of the pros think on this issue?  im just really curious as i have had a few women ask me to train them that tell me that they want to look like a figure girl and not a fitness girl.  I tell em there is no difference but its looking as if its trending quite different.  this blew me away cause it used to be that way with fitness girls and fem. body building.  now its that way with figure.  crazy.

Fit Figures

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • Fitness & Figure Competition Team
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 10:16:19 AM »
so then do figure girls train different with weights than fitness chics or is it all the other training on top of weights that make changes in development? or should they train different for a different look.  what do trainers feel on this issue?  what do some of the pros think on this issue?  im just really curious as i have had a few women ask me to train them that tell me that they want to look like a figure girl and not a fitness girl.  I tell em there is no difference but its looking as if its trending quite different.  this blew me away cause it used to be that way with fitness girls and fem. body building.  now its that way with figure.  crazy.

Most women I know that aren't familiar with the bodybuilding/fitness industry *think* that figure means softer and less muscular than fitness.  When figure first came out, a lot of people thought since fitness is less muscle than female BB, then figure means less muscle than fitness.  Like Dina said, the criteria were exactly the same, the only difference being no routine round.  So, if a person approached me in the gym and said they wanted to look like figure but not fitness, I would assume they wanted a softer and less muscular look, based on the false impression most people have of the figure criteria.

Fit Gourmet

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 10:18:32 AM »
I have been training both Fitness and Figure women for years, 10-years Fitness and Figure since it began. The Fitness women look slightly different because of all the time practicing gymnastic moves, which require more upper body strength, thus more muscular and conditioned upper bodies. Also, the extra choreographing ( dance, kicks, etc ). Burns more calories-leaner body. In addition, a blockier waist is the result of all the gymnastics. (Less Aesthetic look). So, the difference between the two is simply the routine round creates a different looking body.

marcie999

• Getbig III
  • History is written by buggers who weren't there
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 08:00:20 PM »
Or that the fitness girls diet down, to be a tad more ripped.

Someone needs to sit down and make some rules about what is what, and then stick to it.

sigh.

Ripleeeyyyyyyyyyyy