Author Topic: What I would like to learn from the pros, regarding leg training philosophy..  (Read 4104 times)

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
To squat, or not to squat every leg workout?

Last week i squatted last- I only did 225 for lots of reps, only did 3 sets, and OMG, I had such a great pump. This was after leg extensions, and leg presses.. Squatting actually felt better this way, doing them last-- then doing them first and going heavy.

Do I keep doing this, or if they are getting stale take them out entirely, and jus tdo for eg- leg ext, leg press, lunges?

Thanks for any feedback at all. ITs so great you guys give us the timeof day and help us ou twhen you can!

Don Miracle

• Getbig II
Should be interesting to see some responses.

I've noticed the same thing.  When I squat last, the pump is f*cking outrageous...but I'm naturally unable to do as many sets versus using them (squats) to start.  I find that my mind-muscle connection is much stronger if I do them last, too. 

Overall, does it make up for the lowered number of sets?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
I don't squat for one out of every 4 leg workouts... been doing that for years to rest my knees... no front squats either on that day

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
To squat, or not to squat every leg workout?

Last week i squatted last- I only did 225 for lots of reps, only did 3 sets, and OMG, I had such a great pump. This was after leg extensions, and leg presses.. Squatting actually felt better this way, doing them last-- then doing them first and going heavy.

Do I keep doing this, or if they are getting stale take them out entirely, and jus tdo for eg- leg ext, leg press, lunges?

Thanks for any feedback at all. ITs so great you guys give us the timeof day and help us ou twhen you can!

I once asked Dan duchaine a similar question

his answer

ANY training program for lack of variation is gonna stop working after a while  cause the body will adapt.

seems like this new thing is working for you..so stick with it for a while.  and by while i mean 3 months..
carpe` vaginum!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
the best routine is the one you're not currently doing.

word.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
the best routine is the one you're not currently doing.

word.

but changing up too frequently will

1) make it immpossible to guage progress
2) cause over training(adrenal burnout)..esp if you r natty.
carpe` vaginum!

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
but changing up too frequently will

1) make it immpossible to guage progress
2) cause over training(adrenal burnout)..esp if you r natty.

how does changing what order or types of lifts you do cause overtraining. by itself it would be the same training schedual just different exercises to keep the body from compensating?

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
how does changing what order or types of lifts you do cause overtraining. by itself it would be the same training schedual just different exercises to keep the body from compensating?

i'll look up the study i read on medline..i'll see if i can find it..

stress hormones were foun to be higher in folks that change it up everyday rather than those that has some element of consistency..

i used to sit in the ole campus library and read abstracts for fun..then if i came across a study  i liked i'd read and try to comprehend the whole thing..i did this for so long and so many hours that when it came time to write biology papers or do bio labs  and present em in study format it ws no problem at all..just came naturaly  :)

i read something to that effect but it ws 10 yrs ago bro..i'll still give it a quick hunt.
carpe` vaginum!

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
i'll look up the study i read on medline..i'll see if i can find it..

stress hormones were foun to be higher in folks that change it up everyday rather than those that has some element of consistency..

i used to sit in the ole campus library and read abstracts for fun..then if i came across a study  i liked i'd read and try to comprehend the whole thing..i did this for so long and so many hours that when it came time to write biology papers or do bio labs  and present em in study format it ws no problem at all..just came naturaly  :)

i read something to that effect but it ws 10 yrs ago bro..i'll still give it a quick hunt.

thanks

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
thanks

hey man i'm not gonna do a comprehensive search.. i'm gonnA PUT IT SONE KEYWORDS..AND SEE IF I GET A HIT..IF I DO I'M GONNA QUICKLY SCAN THRU SOME STUDIES TO SEE IF I FIND THE ..(whoops caps not intended but i'm not re typing all that) ..any how if i find the correct study i'll post it on here and pm ya the link..its a long shot bro..

just take my workd for it for now that i did once come across such a study..
carpe` vaginum!

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
hey man i'm not gonna do a comprehensive search.. i'm gonnA PUT IT SONE KEYWORDS..AND SEE IF I GET A HIT..IF I DO I'M GONNA QUICKLY SCAN THRU SOME STUDIES TO SEE IF I FIND THE ..(whoops caps not intended but i'm not re typing all that) ..any how if i find the correct study i'll post it on here and pm ya the link..its a long shot bro..

just take my workd for it for now that i did once come across such a study..

no problem, really if your busy its not a issue but thanks either way.

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
I know a  number of local speed skaters. Short distance guys (500 meters). Their legs are absolutely enormous. They don't touch weights. I had one try to workout with me doing squats. After a little bit of skill training, he popped 300 pounds up and down like it was nothing. He said he didn't like lifting and would go back to his regular training!

Anybody well versed in their training approach?

VGalanti

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • COOL
Try this

Workout 1

leg ext 5 sets 20 reps
walking lunges 3 sets....
hack squats 3 sets 20 reps
wide leg press 3 set 20 reps
leg curls 4 sets 20 reps
stiff leg 4 sets 12 reps

Workout 2

leg curls 5 sets 8-10 reps
standing leg curls 3 sets 8-10 reps
squats 4 sets all 15 reps
machine front squats 4 sets 15 reps
sissy squats 3 sets as many as you can do

Workout 3

leg press 5 sets 10 reps
leg extention 5 sets 10 reps
walking lunges 5 sets
seated leg curls 5 sets 10 reps

ANIMAL

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
I know a  number of local speed skaters. Short distance guys (500 meters). Their legs are absolutely enormous. They don't touch weights. I had one try to workout with me doing squats. After a little bit of skill training, he popped 300 pounds up and down like it was nothing. He said he didn't like lifting and would go back to his regular training!

Anybody well versed in their training approach?

Yes, YES! I noticed speedskaters legs too! They are HUGE!. I honestly feel lots of reps and full range of motion is the key for most folks..Where as some really benefit from super heavy weight..Which I dont think i do..

Thanks for all the responses, sound slike  switching up on leg day is more often is necssary..I was doing for a while- Squat, leg press, lunges, and leg extensions...And my legs stopped getting pumped..im gonna stick to this for a bit..  Huge legs>big arms

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
another 2 cents on my part

consider

1) time under tension. Most people dont have the neuromuscular ability to recurit enough muscle fibers while doing 6 to 8 reps to actually grow.
2) <brings me to > Quality of contraction. While a pro might get away with sloppy<ish> form n doing 6 to 8 ..an intermediate will not.
carpe` vaginum!