Author Topic: Lat Pulldown - front or back?  (Read 12701 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Lat Pulldown - front or back?
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2006, 06:46:33 AM »
The only thing funny is how lame that is.. ;D hahahhah

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2006, 06:50:34 AM »

while i have you for a second quick question. why do you always take the name off the quote in your response?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2006, 06:51:58 AM »
What it is I just capture the quote a different way, that doesn't include the name. I should probably do it the other way, but.. :D

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2006, 06:58:30 AM »
What it is I just capture the quote a different way, that doesn't include the name. I should probably do it the other way, but.. :D

thanks and i thought you just didn't like people.:)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2006, 09:26:20 AM »
Both front & back. Both have their benfits.When the shoulder girdle is warmed up, supple and flexable enought, than behind the neck pulldowns can be handled without fear. Same factor is involved when doing chin's behind the neck, which is not only a good lat exercise but also affect the posterior delts strongly. As with either exercise, I touch the base of the neck and than lower back to the starting position. Some will hold the grip way too wide, which can over extrend the shoulder joint(s) into a position of weakness (injury). Forming roughtly a 90 degree angle, when touching the neck area, offers a better inline position for the shoulders and also better muscle recuitment of the lats.

Might want to SS front pulls(medium curl grip... if you like) with behind the neck pulls in a workout. Or what has worked for a lot of BB'ers is a Tri set of Straight arm Pullovers, front and than rear lat pull downs. Of course those would be the only exercises in a single lat workout. Good Luck.

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2006, 10:09:09 AM »
Front, There are some that can do it behind the neck but those that do and have no problems are the ones that have greater rotation of the rotator cuff. The majority do not.  SO DONT DO IT

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2006, 10:40:02 AM »
The one's who have a easier and more fluid/natural function of the rotator cuff's are the one's who have a greater flexability in that area. But not to the point of over extending the joint's themselves. Most BB'er's think of themselves as having superior flexability around the shoulder girdle but most do not. And most do not take the time to strenghten that area or even train with intellegent forethought. Too much flat, and even incline, pressing rather than direct overhead lifts can give raise to muscle imbalance & injury. Good Luck.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2006, 01:49:16 PM »
its just not funny till you here the sentence "go blow a goat" good stuff.

it took some thought, but that's what i came up with

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2006, 01:52:52 PM »

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2006, 11:10:01 AM »
Front, There are some that can do it behind the neck but those that do and have no problems are the ones that have greater rotation of the rotator cuff. The majority do not.  SO DONT DO IT

Agree,
so just try it. Build up slowly with light weights. (and this ain't a coleman joke)
Start out as a beginner and add slowly every week some weights. Maybe it looks stupid if you only do 50lbs lat pulldown back, but in the long run you're the one who's laughing.
Not getting injured is a personal thing, and everybody who's becoming a veteran in the sport knows that you musn't f*ck with your shoulders.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2006, 02:40:38 PM »
LIGHT WEIGHT BABY

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2006, 05:05:33 PM »
LIGHT WEIGHT BABY
Brilliant. Start lite, stay small. ::)

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2006, 09:11:35 PM »
Go do wide grip chin ups till you can touch your chest to the bar.You'll end up w/a wide back  :).Of course use that w/other exercises!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2006, 09:39:47 PM »
Chins of any width will do the trick.  ;)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2006, 09:40:04 PM »
The problem w/ pulldowns to the back is not so much the movement. It's that you have to tilt your head forward in order to not get clunked with the bar. That tilting causes your spine to go out of alignment, making the movement unsafe.

If you had a setup with two separate overhead pulleys, that would allow you to do the movement in a way that would mimic a rear-double-bicep pose, you'd be onto something.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2006, 11:25:42 AM »
The problem w/ pulldowns to the back is not so much the movement. It's that you have to tilt your head forward in order to not get clunked with the bar. That tilting causes your spine to go out of alignment, making the movement unsafe.
Maybe, maybe not. If anything, might lead to minor stress on the neck, not the spine, though I never had a problem with that.

You've completely dismissed the established shoulder impingement issue, because in fact you're wrong-the issue is the movement. Separate pulleys, while helping with freedom of motion, would still contribute to torque issues. The problem is related to the the relative positioning of the upper arms to the shoulders, so that's not good advice.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2006, 05:55:02 PM »
Maybe, maybe not. If anything, might lead to minor stress on the neck, not the spine, though I never had a problem with that.

You've completely dismissed the established shoulder impingement issue, because in fact you're wrong-the issue is the movement. Separate pulleys, while helping with freedom of motion, would still contribute to torque issues. The problem is related to the the relative positioning of the upper arms to the shoulders, so that's not good advice.

you blow goats... and you know as much about shoulder impingement as you do about rectums.... wow YOU MUST BE A SHOULDER WHATEVER GENIUS YOU RECTUM LOVER!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2006, 05:56:51 PM »
Another clown who didn't know anything until I schooled his ass but desperately wants to sound like his knows what he's talking about...hahahahhha

Blowing goats is like 3rd grade humor, dude. The only thing funny about it is how lame & unfunny you are without realizing it. LOL

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2006, 03:29:41 AM »
Another clown who didn't know anything until I schooled his ass but desperately wants to sound like his knows what he's talking about...hahahahhha

Blowing goats is like 3rd grade humor, dude. The only thing funny about it is how lame & unfunny you are without realizing it. LOL

was this a comeback?....

BallzDeep69

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2006, 03:46:29 AM »
LOL, you guys are great, this place is great!  ;D