Author Topic: Gary Strydom pic's  (Read 9857 times)

Jake_W

• Getbig III
Gary Strydom pic's
« on: May 14, 2006, 08:42:07 AM »

Jake_W

• Getbig III
Re: Gary Strydom pic's
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 08:43:17 AM »

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 09:10:25 AM »
Gary looked really good overall.  Great from the front and side.  Definitely weaker from the back but not horrible.  His posing, however, was unsteady...especially when doing back shots, which hurt him some.  6th or 7th is about where he belonged.  I thought the judging for this show was good.

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 09:13:50 AM »
Gary looked really good overall.  Great from the front and side.  Definitely weaker from the back but not horrible.  His posing, however, was unsteady...especially when doing back shots, which hurt him some.  6th or 7th is about where he belonged.  I thought the judging for this show was good.

I totally Agree with you..on the money.. Props to him for the impressive comeback, even with the weak back, and weak posing..

Prime

• Getbig IV
  • The force is strong in this'un
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 09:39:47 AM »
you would have thought a guy at his level would have done a little more posing practice.
His movements reminded me of paul dillet.
[img]http://ima

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 09:41:54 AM »
Small waist for a big man that's really amazing!!!!

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 09:46:09 AM »

The best man (fron the front)

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 12:06:54 PM »
Hey Matt remember that thread you said Im wrong about his back....sigh....go jerk on another DVD.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 12:27:47 PM »
would love to rip that thing off his head.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 12:28:41 PM »
not bad for a grampa

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 12:32:12 PM »
Yep,in the thread that pictures of his back were posted and I said its too thin.

spotter

• Getbig III
  • Off the Hook
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 04:40:15 PM »

Shawn Ray & Mike Quinn both threatened to pull Gary's toupee off on stage......in the early "90"s.... ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 05:56:03 PM »
he looked good,but i think everyone anticipated the wbf strydom.he is older so whatever is keeping him going is working,but it still can't turn back the clock.the strydom leg's were not their.they were huge in their prime.the shape and definition were their just not the fullness.

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 06:00:54 PM »

That's his own hair.......

Isn't that a transplant???

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 06:08:36 PM »
 He looks very detailed. Great muscle maturity.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 07:34:39 PM »
Shawn Ray & Mike Quinn both threatened to pull Gary's toupee off on stage......in the early "90"s.... ;D

A short while after that, Mike and Shawn lost all their hair.  Shawn wore a "flat top" toupe at one of the Olympia's.  Was that in '95 or '96?

Moral of the story is don't ever make fun of a bald guy... you'll be next.

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 08:40:24 PM »
Perhaps Gary's gym has no lat pulldown machines
I am a mini beast

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 08:42:11 PM »
Funny thing is, Rich Gaspari had more muscle maturity at age 21 at the 1985 NOC:

Like Chris Dickerson said about Rich at the 1986 Pro World: you have to be 40 to look like that, and even at 40 you don't look like that.

He does look very hard there. How long had he been on? ???

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2006, 08:59:46 PM »
give Gary a lil more time to dial it all in

he will get there IMO

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2006, 09:06:43 PM »
(This is McFarland here, posting from my roommate's account.)

I honestly think Gary's left rotator cuff is torn.  Remember he had it repaired way back when, but since he's probably re-torn it somewhere over the years.  That would explain perfectly his not having been able to flatten his scapula for his rear lat spreads and his inability to full externally rotate his left arm there in his back-double bi shots.  It's probably also why his shoulders weren't held level in his front lat spread, too.  It's the same thing that kept Paul Dillet from being able to hit a decent back shot.  I remember reading in one of Dillet's interviews there near the end of his run where he said that through at least 2 of what would prove to be his most prime bodybuilding years, he'd been training with a torn rotator cuff.  It's amazing that that significant of a structural flaw can be trained around, to the extent to where guys are still doing massive weight on the bigger exercises, but it always tends to take some sort of compensatory contortion of the affected limb to make it happen.  I know that whenever we've done dumbbell shoulder presses over the past year, that Gary's had to move his arm through a very specific plane, and that he was always very careful to move up slowly in weight, over multiple sets.  I think a guy like Gary is probably pretty reluctant to acknowledge what he may have suspected to be such a fundamental structural limitation, especially when fixing it might have meant his losing precious time that he didn't feel he had to spend.  Finding the time to get something fixed like that is pretty hard once you're on a roll, so you just keep going, hoping for the best.

I was amazed at Gary's ability to bring shit in so crisp after such a long time since his last show, and his face really did look as youthful as I've seen it since the pictures taken during his prime.

Gary's a fucking beast, end of story.  You can't move him.     

I was thinking the same thing!  He obviously has something wrong with his left lat and trap.  He could not move them - they would not flair.  He had absolutely no control of the left side of his back.  He couldn't open up when he hit a double bi either. He did have surgery on the left shoulder back in 90 or 91, I'm thinking he might have sustained some kind of nerve damage?  Or maybe he did tear something and never had it reattached? His condition was amazing - for any age - and had he been able to pose better he could have looked much better.  If there was a "worst poser award" he'd get it.  I can't believe he doesn't know this.  Maybe some things are just too hard to accept and he just figured he could work around a problem shoulder?  10 years of that and you can really screw yourelf up.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2006, 09:19:06 PM »
 Maybe nerve damage from synthol experimentation? :-\

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2006, 09:38:21 PM »
I was actually wondering a little whether gary had used makeup, the guy does not look how old he is. 

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2006, 09:41:02 PM »
I was actually wondering a little whether gary had used makeup, the guy does not look how old he is. 

Sounds like you were checking him out :-\

gh15

• Getbig V
  • angels
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2006, 09:58:33 PM »
Funny thing is, Rich Gaspari had more muscle maturity at age 21 at the 1985 NOC:

Like Chris Dickerson said about Rich at the 1986 Pro World: you have to be 40 to look like that, and even at 40 you don't look like that.

the problem with gaspari was that in his 20s he looked like a 40 year old male and now days he looks like 55-60 year old male.

when it comes to syndrom...fantastic arms for any bodybuilder wether retired or not. that is it. everything else has faded with the years including the height....you get old and gravity "pulls you down some"... in all aspects.

sydrom is  VERY VERY NICE GUY and an amazing bodybuilding and THE ONLY THING THAT IS SAD ABOUT MY ORGANIZATION THE IFBB IS THAT THEY DIDNT AWARD HIM IN THIS SHOW ANYTHING FOR HIS PHENOMINAL  COME BACK AT THIS KIND OF CONDITION.

I STILL SAY AND KNOW HE WAS NOT 275LB BUT IT DOES NOT MATTER. AT AGE THAT IS VERY CLOSE TO 50.... KNOWING YOU GOT PROBLEM FROM THE BACK THAT KILL YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING TOP 5 ...HE STILL CAME BACK AND CAME BACK BIG TIME AGAINT GUYS WHO COULD BE HIS SONS.

AWESOME JOB.
fallen angel

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2006, 03:48:39 AM »
  Sounds like you were checking him out :-\

Sounds like a weak attempt at insinuating homosexuality.  :-\

Still, its another post eh..  quantity not quality