Author Topic: Why do poker ratings destroy BBing?  (Read 4324 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Why do poker ratings destroy BBing?
« on: May 14, 2006, 12:01:51 PM »
Poker doesn't have questions of judging legitimacy.

Pro Poker has worked hard to endear the personalities of the sport to the viewers.  Short clips of interviews with all the guys between/during games. BBing does not do this.

Audience involvement to a point- you see the odds/% and you say what YOU would do.  Then you see the payoff IMMEDIATELY, not after a hushed 15-minute judging pow-wow backstage. 

Smacks of a fix, even if the results were good.  Why have the fans still not seen the final judging sheets?  IMAGINE how popular poker would be if we didn't get to see the river card when the athletes did... Instead, they TOLD us who won, but we never saw the card.

*Note: This is not bitching.  It is food for thought for all the people that lost a little coin on the colo pro and wonder how it could have been more financially viable*

1Fast400

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Why do poker ratings destroy BBing?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 12:07:25 PM »
If you don't understand why poker is more popular than bodybuilding you're an idiot.  Posting topics like this is pointless.  You've made your point more than enough times 240.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 12:07:49 PM »
Poker is a game of skill. Bodybuilding is a show of genes.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 12:11:10 PM »
If you don't understand why poker is more popular than bodybuilding you're an idiot.  Posting topics like this is pointless.  You've made your point more than enough times 240.

Why is no one doing anything about it, then?  Imagine if they had done 30-second interview clips for the top 10 guys, and showed them right before their posing routines.  It would have added a total of 5 minutes to the show, but every fan, there and on the webcast, would have gotten to know the athletes better. 

These fans will make a connection- realize who they like or dislike- and buy tickets accordingly. There are no emotional connections being made. 

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 12:31:56 PM »
if you think it's because of judging and not because one is watching a bunch of oiled-up men pose in thongs...

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2006, 12:36:19 PM »
unless bodybuilding finds a way to avoid looking as incredibly gay as it does it will never have mainstream appeal. wrestling only avoids that because it has characters and they're ostensibly fighting each other. having two guys flexing at each other wearing thongs is pretty damn hard to make "macho".

poker makes people think of whiskey bars and cowboys fighting each other. combined with the incredible amount of money being bet and bantered around it's seen as a tougher activity.

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2006, 12:36:36 PM »
Poker is more popular due to many other factors ,those interviews hardly matter.
Everyone knows and played poker in his life.
Poker got HUGE sums of money ,isnt the world championship 1st prize is like 3mil$?
Its intresting and have lots of tension in it.

Much more....

BTW in most Olympia tapes and broadcasts there are interviews...its just they arent too intresting,even to BB fans.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 12:43:06 PM »
simple more ppl play and are interested in poker than bbuilding. duh.

like saying y are football ratings higher.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 12:49:15 PM »
Why is no one doing anything about it, then?  Imagine if they had done 30-second interview clips for the top 10 guys, and showed them right before their posing routines.  It would have added a total of 5 minutes to the show, but every fan, there and on the webcast, would have gotten to know the athletes better. 

These fans will make a connection- realize who they like or dislike- and buy tickets accordingly. There are no emotional connections being made. 

You make a good point. The media in BBing IMO is still in its infancy; the sport is just too underground. Nobody gives a shit about our sport  :'(

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 01:33:26 PM »
I'm a professional poker player, and my opinion as to why poker is popular is that viewers percieve the game as one they could compete in with the best in the world. That is simply not the case with bodybuilding, where most people realize that pros represent a genetic elite that simply cannot be attained by everyone.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 01:44:50 PM »
I'm a professional poker player, and my opinion as to why poker is popular is that viewers percieve the game as one they could compete in with the best in the world. That is simply not the case with bodybuilding, where most people realize that pros represent a genetic elite that simply cannot be attained by everyone.

You have it wrong...People don`t think of Pro bodybuilders as genetic elite.......They realize that they are all drugged out on every steroid known to man. 

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2006, 01:45:37 PM »
poker is excitment and drama and reading and skill and luck all done at the time of the event and on tv is compeling. bodybuilding is like miss america you do not see all that is done to get there its just a bunch of people on a stage in bathing suits with time spent in a "talent" posing and some some head to head flexing, nothing that exciting to watch, plus you throw in the wrestling factor that makes it seemed fixed with the same winner each year.

you want to make bodybuilding more for the masses, have a weekly show on spike tv that follows a group of guys for 12-16 weeks training for a contest showing all the emotions and drama and training then have a pay per view contest you would probley see more people watching.my 2 cents.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2006, 01:46:35 PM »
you want to make bodybuilding more for the masses, have a weekly show on spike tv that follows a group of guys for 12-16 weeks training for a contest showing all the emotions and drama and training then have a pay per view contest you would probley see more people watching.my 2 cents.

Excellent idea, man.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2006, 01:49:27 PM »
poker is excitment and drama and reading and skill and luck all done at the time of the event and on tv is compeling. bodybuilding is like miss america you do not see all that is done to get there its just a bunch of people on a stage in bathing suits with time spent in a "talent" posing and some some head to head flexing, nothing that exciting to watch, plus you throw in the wrestling factor that makes it seemed fixed with the same winner each year.

You would also have to show their drug usage....I am 100 percent sure people would watch if that was covered.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2006, 01:50:53 PM »
Excellent idea, man.

240, pitch the idea to your guys at MSNBC/UNIVERSAL

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2006, 01:53:51 PM »
240, pitch the idea to your guys at MSNBC/UNIVERSAL

I'm a competition strategy consultant, not a producer.   There are enough *action* guys here to make it happen.  Most are so used to the status quo, however, that change is slow to come.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2006, 02:01:53 PM »
poke > bbing

simple...

there are a lot more fat fucks that dont go to the gym and would rather watch other people play poker and make $ then get up and go types.
carpe` vaginum!

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2006, 02:03:02 PM »
You would also have to show their drug usage....I am 100 percent sure people would watch if that was covered.

you could show aspects but you would get zero bobybuilders to commit a crime on film. you could have it done with doctors and make it all scientific but then people would scream you are encourging kids to follow suit. i think if you treated it like reg tv and blocked out the image or lead people to the conclusion without actully filming them shooting up and poping pills.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2006, 02:03:52 PM »
you got three boneheads to commit a crime using roids on MTV
X

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2006, 02:27:29 PM »
you got three boneheads to commit a crime using roids on MTV

i saw the show they were to stupid to even think about it.plus 2 of the three even after juicing looked like they never lifted and the other was a fruity fashion model.

bic_staedtler

• Getbig IV
  • That is all.
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2006, 02:31:10 PM »
.....dudes, a MAJOR way to get bodybuilding 'popular' is something that's been batted around for years....a REALITY tv show.  Sad, but true...look what it did for UFC, Pride and all that!  

I can't see how the folks in the know couldn't put together a compelling reality tv show about contest prep for amateurs.  The only thing is that there wouldn't be the games aspect, like The Contender and all that.  But who cares?  You can have them doing all sorts of entertaining shit!  

Do you know how many friends of mine who aren't into pro bodybuilding, but loved the Bob Chick War for the Worlds?  MANY....and that was done with minimal scripting!  

That's the future, in my opinion.  Work on that angle 240 and you won't be selling 300 dollar websites for a living, I promise.

whateva

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2006, 02:40:16 PM »
how about a poker tournament played by bodybuilders? ;)

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2006, 02:52:27 PM »
.....dudes, a MAJOR way to get bodybuilding 'popular' is something that's been batted around for years....a REALITY tv show.  Sad, but true...look what it did for UFC, Pride and all that!  

I can't see how the folks in the know couldn't put together a compelling reality tv show about contest prep for amateurs.  The only thing is that there wouldn't be the games aspect, like The Contender and all that.  But who cares?  You can have them doing all sorts of entertaining shit!  

Do you know how many friends of mine who aren't into pro bodybuilding, but loved the Bob Chick War for the Worlds?  MANY....and that was done with minimal scripting!  

That's the future, in my opinion.  Work on that angle 240 and you won't be selling 300 dollar websites for a living, I promise.

240 contact endeavor  they're on beverly wilshire blvd.  90048

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2006, 02:54:12 PM »
how about a poker tournament played by bodybuilders? ;)

ha ha ha, why didn't I think of that!
X

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2006, 03:01:51 PM »
LOL... but I LIKE selling $300 websites!  I usually sell 3 a week, plus I have local contract work which pays me a regular salary.  I don't want a real job :)