Author Topic: Medium weight, lots of drop sets> heavy weight  (Read 3103 times)

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
Medium weight, lots of drop sets> heavy weight
« on: May 19, 2006, 06:05:58 PM »
I noticed some pros train with a "lighter weght"  (well to them, it woul dbe heavy for us) and do fast pumping reps, also lots of drop sets.

I did this for the entire week, all my bodyparts. The soreness was insane. I always get sore, but this method really killed my muscle groups. Is the more intense soarness a sign of more muscle stim?

Also, I dont know about you guys, but th bodypart for me thats the hardest to really get sore is my back. But when I add deadlifts, it always get sore..also, if I lighten up the weight it works too, like doing reps on bent over rows with 225, instead of going 275 for 6-8 and 315 for 4-5- and i do these totally perpendicular to the floor. (none of those cheating up rightshit)

So it sounds like, if you wanna get big, check your EGO at the door, right?? And occassionally, throw on on your last set a max weight attempt, followed by a drop set?

Talk to me, you bodybuilding Gods.  8)

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
Re: Medium weight, lots of drop sets> heavy weight
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 02:02:30 AM »
go heavy or go home  :o     jp

its really up too you i seem to but more size on when im going heavy

OakExpress

• Getbig II
  • Amateur Natural Bodybuilder
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 08:41:51 AM »
I combine heavy weight with various intensity techniques.

For example...  Say I'm doing chest

DB Bench Press
- 2-3 warmup sets (acclimating to the heavy weight, loosening up joints, getting the blood flowing)
- 1 Heavy Set using rest pause 110sx12 (pause), 110x6 (pause), 110x3 (you fail each set)*
* pause for 15-20 seconds

OR

- 2-3 warmup sets
- 1 Heavy Set - 120sx12
- Drop set - 90s to failure, 75s to failure, 50s to failure (no pause between sets)

In other words, train the big fast twitch muscles, and then force the recruitment of as much muscle fiber as possible (and thus get more muscle fiber growing).

Many people fall in to the trap of annihilating a muscle group.  I provide the muscle with the necessary stimulus for growth, and then move on.

[By the way, I just want to make it clear that this isn't my original thinking.  I have combined Mike Mentzer's theories, with DC Ttraining with my own ideas.  Since incorporating this new approach, I am growing faster then ever]
Romans 1:20

InsightD

• Getbig II
  • There is power in numbers.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 12:17:28 PM »
i agree with you heracles. checking the ego at the door seems to have a big part of it.  when im concentrating with medium weight and reps it seems the pump is longer and the workout feels better than a herniating marathon of max lifts.  i periodize my workouts now with 2 or 3 weeks of the medium weight and then take a week to test my power on the basics as well as some of the more elaborate lifts and i've improved in the last 2 months my max on the 3 basics.  i'd like to hear what the pros think about working out that way.  seems to be very effective
[-_-]

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 02:15:29 PM »
Medium weight, medium reps 8-12.

Soreness is a sign that it's working-use whatever exercises & whatever form accomplishes this, period.

BallzDeep69

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 01:15:07 AM »
Pro's have crazy good genetics and will respond to ANY rep range in general.

For the norm, most will not get solid, deep, long-term muscle gains unless they train for 4-8 reps. 

Sure 8-12 reps makes you feel swollen, pumped and tight for several days after the workout, but there is just not any solid deep muscle stimulation when using weights that light that don't do much to increase strength, thus muscle size.

That's how I roll.

pwrnxs

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 01:35:58 PM »
Another factor is that pros in general are in a maintenance phase concerning their physique.  It takes a whole lot less work to maintain a level of muscularity after they've busted ass to get where they're at.  Now I know there are exceptions like Coleman who will lift to within and inch of their life until they retire but in general I feel that's the case.

BallzDeep69

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 02:01:17 PM »

Same here bro.  I generally a 6-8 rep man, ocassionaly I go a little lower, and I do go higher on lateral raises and tricep pushdowns but that's it.

I think people with more fast-twitch fibers grow better on the lower-end of the muscle-building rep-range spectrum.  I get just as, if not more sore with heavier weight.  I also only do 2 work sets per exercise.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 06:41:40 PM »

definatley.
bodybuildersreality.com