Author Topic: Pros who are VERY out of shape as guest posers?  (Read 12704 times)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Pros who are VERY out of shape as guest posers?
« on: May 23, 2006, 09:31:41 PM »
Nobody should expect a pro guest poser to be in 100% ripped contest shape.
However, why do so many show up in such horrible and sometimes downright FAT shape ?
If they want to "bulk up" that much, fine, but why expect to get paid posing looking like some cow?
I have seen Dexter, Darrem , and Jay for example in the off season looking decent.
Ronnie Coleman looks incredible come Olympia time, but most of the off season looks horrible.
No disrepect to Ronnie intended, he is a living legend , but why does he get so damn bloated in the off season? Plus, his guest "posing" amounts to him stomping out on stage with his BOOTS and trunks on hitting a few random shots doing the raise the roof, etc
Showing up like that is like a top singer doing half their hit song with most of the notes off key.

I mean c'mon, you can least look and act the part of a polished pro if you guest pose can't you?
I saw the late great Paul Demayo, guest pose years ago. He was not in 100% shape but solid and massive.
He did this opening skit where they played "Godzilla" and he stomped on these little paper houses as he posed, really cool, the crowd loved it.
The one guy most other pros could take notes from on how to act as guest poser is Jay Cutler.
The man knows how to work the crowd , is always in decent shape and wins over many new/old fans every time he appears.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Re: Pros who are VERY out of shape as guest posers?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 12:12:51 AM »
Ronnie weighed 340 one year when he was here to guest pose.  He weighed himself at the gym.  He came here every year very fat.  In fact I dont really recall any guy who came in great shape except for Dave Palumbo.  He looked like he always does.  He is in shape 365 days a year.  Garrett Downing looked good.  Quincy Taylor actually looked pretty good at 330 lbs.  Still had abs.  Sean was horrible each year he came here.  He was so bad one year he didn't even get on stage.  Jay Cutler comes in very white and bloated too.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 09:14:27 AM »
Ronnie weighed 340 one year when he was here to guest pose.  He weighed himself at the gym.  He came here every year very fat.  In fact I dont really recall any guy who came in great shape except for Dave Palumbo.  He looked like he always does.  He is in shape 365 days a year.  Garrett Downing looked good.  Quincy Taylor actually looked pretty good at 330 lbs.  Still had abs.  Sean was horrible each year he came here.  He was so bad one year he didn't even get on stage.  Jay Cutler comes in very white and bloated too.

I think it sad a promoter has to pay the whole fee for having a guy showing up looking horrible. If they want or need to be that hefty, fine, they don't need to expect money for displaying that kind of a physique however.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 06:08:11 PM »
i remember seeing king guest pose in south jersey when he first turned pro...had never seen a guest poser as out of shape as that...it was pretty entertaining though seeing his fat ass up their dancing and pop locking for like 10 min.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 04:52:23 PM »
i remember seeing king guest pose in south jersey when he first turned pro...had never seen a guest poser as out of shape as that...it was pretty entertaining though seeing his fat ass up their dancing and pop locking for like 10 min.

I know, it does not seem to bother him in the least . I guess it just amazes me how a guy can get that fat looking and come in looking ripped in 16 weeks time....go figure.
Howard

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 05:07:58 PM »
Howie, I agree with you entirely 100% and once suggested that the guest poses be paid on a percentage basis based on their condition after the event.

I have seen pro guest posers appear on stage wearing masks and sweat shirts and do their routines. One pro even sat in a big chair while an out of shape female danced around him like she was worshiping him.

And the promoter paid them both in full. (I think it was $2,000 each but I don't recall for sure.)

Back in my day they would have been carried off that stage and thrown out of the venue. (Anyone recall those days at the old Embassy Auditorium in downtown Los Angeles?)

Thanks, Howie, for bringing this up.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 05:24:21 AM »
Howie, I agree with you entirely 100% and once suggested that the guest poses be paid on a percentage basis based on their condition after the event.

I have seen pro guest posers appear on stage wearing masks and sweat shirts and do their routines. One pro even sat in a big chair while an out of shape female danced around him like she was worshiping him.

And the promoter paid them both in full. (I think it was $2,000 each but I don't recall for sure.)

Back in my day they would have been carried off that stage and thrown out of the venue. (Anyone recall those days at the old Embassy Auditorium in downtown Los Angeles?)

Thanks, Howie, for bringing this up.

Well, I am not sure about paying based on a % of conditioing . If they draw a big crowd, well they deserve to get the top $$.
Ido think that promoters should stop useing guys to guest pose if they come in very off looking most of the time to guest pose. The fans need to support that however.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 08:18:10 PM »
Some look very impressive and on stage look huge and some really know how to work the crowd.the sad thing is the general not in the know crowd  think pro bber's look magazine ready year round,if  they  only knew. :o

Naked4Jesus

• Getbig IV
  • You can save a IFBB Pro today by donating a kidney
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 10:36:43 AM »
Chris Cook!  He looks like a fat, saggy, grandma when he guestposes.  He also looks about as pale as a frozen cadaver since he's never tan and the bright lights onstage make him look powdery white.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 11:07:28 AM »
I agree Howie. 

I think promoters ought to write some sort of "contest condition" type of clause into their contracts with guest posers (assuming they have contracts). 

BigIronMike25

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 12:27:16 PM »
I know, it does not seem to bother him in the least . I guess it just amazes me how a guy can get that fat looking and come in looking ripped in 16 weeks time....go figure.
Howard

alotta that fat / smoothness you talk about is only water retention....granted some is definitely BF.....I saw Tom Prince pose at 298lbs....he tried to hit a front double bi on a wooden chair in the first row and the damn thing broke right in half...lol....ive seen cormier guest pose in very good shape in 2002 (just wish he'd get his shit together now)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 06:43:38 PM »
alotta that fat / smoothness you talk about is only water retention....granted some is definitely BF.....I saw Tom Prince pose at 298lbs....he tried to hit a front double bi on a wooden chair in the first row and the damn thing broke right in half...lol....ive seen cormier guest pose in very good shape in 2002 (just wish he'd get his shit together now)
haha thats awesome! yeah, i heard cormier is going to be training with Dorian...so I read.
bodybuildersreality.com

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 12:37:50 PM »
Sharry looks fat in most the photos I have seen of him, onstage or not.
E

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 05:27:25 PM »
They need to look somewhat normal at some point in the season. Those guys deserve to eat junk food too. Im sure seeing them at a guest appearance when they aren't in competition shape isn't as exciting as it is when they are but they can't be in super human shape all year round, eating nothing but plain tuna,chicken and rice.
bodybuildersreality.com

hendog

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 08:24:08 PM »
I am not a pro but it would stand to reason that guest posing is a very small fraction of thier income and therefore not worth jeopardizing thier gains in the offseason for a ten minute apprearance on stage. Would you want to diet down for a guest appearance which means switching gears from offseason heavy lifting and eating, switching the gear they are using to bulk for cutting and so on? I would rather remain focused on the task at hand (the next competition) and know later on that you did everything to prepare for that then wonder why the hell you took so many guest posing gigs and ruined what you could of gained in the offseason for fans that don't seem to appreciate it much  :-\. That is just me though.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 05:12:32 AM »
One pro even sat in a big chair while an out of shape female danced around him like she was worshiping him.

It may have been worth the coin if she had blown him onstage.
The House that Ruth built

Outlaw53

• Getbig II
  • Country Classic Invitational. 7th August 2010
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 06:15:27 PM »
It's tough one.

The promoter pays good money for an out of shape Pro BBer, who he probably promoted the crap outta to increase ticket sales & the poor old fans pay through the nose to see him wobble around for 5-10mins.

Promoters should get smarter & choose BBers that keep themselves in pretty good condition throughout the year.  Let's face it, most of us wouldn't expect Kamali to come in contest shape, but we know that we will see an entertaining routine at least.

I hate it when BBers show up outta shape & hit 5 or 6 boring-arsed poses.  What's the point?  There would be certain Pros that I wouldn't bother to go & watch, knowing that I'm probably gonna get ripped.

I agree with hendog though, the Guest Posing could certainly interfere with a Pro's preparation, with the fee being a drop in the ocean compared to other sponsorships he may have.  They just need to show a bit more integrity perhaps & knock back Guest Posing appearances, rather than just take the money & run.

Just my thoughts.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 06:23:04 PM »
This was recently posted at Ironage. It is Larry Scott guest posing in late 1978. He actually is in shape. How many guest posers today come in looking this way?
The House that Ruth built

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 07:44:49 PM »
Vince seems to stay lean year round. How much does he charge to guest pose?
E

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 04:12:41 PM »
They need to look somewhat normal at some point in the season. Those guys deserve to eat junk food too. Im sure seeing them at a guest appearance when they aren't in competition shape isn't as exciting as it is when they are but they can't be in super human shape all year round, eating nothing but plain tuna,chicken and rice.

No question they should feel free to be out of sape when ever they please for whatever reasons...just don't expect to be paid top dollar by doing that.... :-\

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 04:23:48 PM »
Why do pros looks so shitty offseason anyway? Do you reallly need to put on 75 pounds of fat to gain 6 or 7 of muscle? I am not being a smartass, I just don't know the answer?
E

RJB

• Getbig II
  • Everyone on the internets is rich.
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 10:48:32 AM »
This is a business. If a promoter can pay them 2 grand and it is a sound business decision, even when they show up looking like doodoo, then why not? It's like arguing baseball player salaries. Sure, they make an insane amount for what they do, but they make that money back for the owners. It's ultimately about $. I love capitalism. :)
Ronnie looked like doodoo

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 08:32:43 PM »
Why do pros looks so shitty offseason anyway? Do you reallly need to put on 75 pounds of fat to gain 6 or 7 of muscle? I am not being a smartass, I just don't know the answer?

It's mostly water retention from the drugs they use.

FloridaMuscle

• Getbig II
  • live to train, train to live
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2006, 10:50:03 PM »
I saw a couple pros guest pose at the centralflorida right out side of tampa, nate wonsley looked bad ass ,but then someother guy came out that was so out of shape I couldent tell wether he was guest posing  or giving birth.

sinkoci

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2006, 03:27:08 AM »
It's mostly water retention from the drugs they use.
Then why isn't Dexter so fat in off-season. He also uses drugs isn't he?