Author Topic: arnold trained chest n back on same day?  (Read 14136 times)

anabol-lektor

• Getbig II
arnold trained chest n back on same day?
« on: May 24, 2006, 08:02:25 PM »
is it true arnold would train chest n back together?
Vince G kynoselen KING!

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
Re: arnold trained chest n back on same day?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 09:20:48 PM »
is it true arnold would train chest n back together?

arnld trained for hours a day...im sure it happened.

its called "push - pull"

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • myspace.com/babyhercules1914
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 07:08:20 AM »
When your taking D-bol's by the handful you can do that.  ;)

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 08:09:13 AM »
When your taking D-bol's by the handful you can do that.  ;)

You are so right, Baby Hercules. I started lifting in the early 1970's, following those "special" routines in Muscle & Fitness. Hey, if it worked for Arnold, it would work for me, right?

After 5 years of sore joints and no real  progress, I gave it up. Only after I rediscovered bodybuilding in the late 1990's, learning that I only had to lift heavy once a week for a muscle group, with few sets, did I start to grow. No magic routines, just hit it hard briefly and rest. I gained 30 pounds in 2-2.5 years that way.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 08:51:03 AM »
Two of my uncles watched Arnold, Franco and who ever the third workout partners was on workout day, SS chest & back quite a few times. Usually benches and BB row's were the core exercises. They followed each other, just hitting it without rest, one right after another. Those uncles of mine use to work on the Paramount lot, near Melrose & Van Ness, and there were  many stories about Arnold being arrogant and a  bully. But when push came to shove, he would usually back down. Had quite a tight posse at the time. Also rumored he was a 60 second (or less) man with the ladies.

I have nothing against him, just stuff I heard from people who were around that time. If I could vote in America I probably would have voted for him.

Have to agree with Hypertrophy 100%. Sooner or later most guy's find out that less really is more. Sad part is a lot of BB'er never find that out or just don't want to change their training style. Too bad. Good Luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 05:10:50 PM »
He almost always believed in chest/lat supersets. Supposedly faster to do that way, and/or gives a great pump in the whole area, for the believers in this.

The amount of volume he did was typical of the era, not much different from Draper who he trained with early on. The mags weren't mis-informing purposely, rather that type of volume was standard at the time. Admittedly beginners were always reminded to do less sets but the implication was always that more would be better once in the intermediate stages.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 07:28:24 PM »
I'd like to try his methods but always stay away because of what i've read and learned about over training and having to eat every 2-3 hours.
bodybuildersreality.com

Superman

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 03:32:24 AM »
You are so right, Baby Hercules. I started lifting in the early 1970's, following those "special" routines in Muscle & Fitness. Hey, if it worked for Arnold, it would work for me, right?

After 5 years of sore joints and no real  progress, I gave it up. Only after I rediscovered bodybuilding in the late 1990's, learning that I only had to lift heavy once a week for a muscle group, with few sets, did I start to grow. No magic routines, just hit it hard briefly and rest. I gained 30 pounds in 2-2.5 years that way.
Arnold pulled every trick out of his sleeve to trick the other competitive bodybuilders. Don't you think that Arnold wanted to stay Mr.Olympia. Why wouldn't he make this routine just to make the other bodybuilders fatigued and over trained. The dude told people that Jim Beam was a good pre workout supplement come on. You don't believe me, see for yourself. That guy would do anything possible to stay the champ and I would  believe. He made this routine to trick the competitive bodybuilders to doing it. So that they would think "Hey, I'm going to do the same routine and give Arnold a run for his money". Arnold is very competitive and still is to this day. I think he''l do anything at any cost to be the best. Here's the clip about the Jim Beam thing.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 07:59:17 AM »
Superman must have leaped from a tall building and landed too many times on his head. Hope Superman understands that Arnold is a player and you and everyone else was being played in that clip. If you think that Arnold had some secret, guarded workout method than you would be mistaken. Or maybe you think that in the first Conan movie, when he was pushing that giant wheel around, that was really his secret training. One day, pushing forward for the chest,delts,triceps, legs,etc. The next day pulling backwards for the lats, traps,biceps, hams, etc. The old push/pull method. And of course many Jim Beam breaks during the day. Good Luck.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 11:05:05 AM »
Thats the way I was taught to train by those guys.  I still do it today.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 10:04:51 AM »
Thats the way I was taught to train by those guys.  I still do it today.
What works, works. Stick to it.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 12:35:51 PM »
arnld trained for hours a day...im sure it happened.

its called "push - pull"

I just read this.  Push-Pull relates to what you do each day.  You do pushing one day pulling the next. Never together.  AT least that is how I remember it.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 04:36:25 PM »
I'll have to agree with Onlyme. Push-pull is what you usually do as part of regular workout. Like BP, lat pulldown, press, upright row,biceps, etc., all in the same workout. A selective push or pull workout would be just that. One day just pulling exercises like chins, rows, cleans, biceps, etc..  Push; dips, military press,triceps, etc only on the next workout day . Work's pretty good for a lot of guy's and has for many,many years. Good Luck.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 08:00:23 PM »
Arnold built his mass with straight sets and supersetted back with chest for detail.
just push some weight!

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 04:47:50 AM »
I was told buy an old timer who used to compete back then that Arnold's steroid of choice was Primo.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 11:54:38 AM »
I was told buy an old timer who used to compete back then that Arnold's steroid of choice was Primo.

Yes it was. Primo Depot  We used to stock up on it from Mexico.  $1.60 for a pre-loaded.  In the early 80's we were getting up to $6 each for them.  Some good mark-up

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 11:57:55 AM »
Yes it was. Primo Depot  We used to stock up on it from Mexico.  $1.60 for a pre-loaded.  In the early 80's we were getting up to $6 each for them.  Some good mark-up

Aren't you suposed to be natural?
just push some weight!

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 05:52:50 PM »
I read that Primo gives you small gains but they're easier to keep and that the stuff has no sides? well the no sides thing is what the undercover pro says. and just so you guys don't start. No, I'm not planning on getting some for myself.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2006, 07:54:50 PM »
Aren't you suposed to be natural?

I didn't use it, I provided it.  The only thing I took was test cyp 200 mg for 6 months straight and that was it ever.  That was in 1986

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2006, 07:59:03 PM »
I didn't use it, I provided it.  The only thing I took was test cyp 200 mg for 6 months straight and that was it ever.  That was in 1986

Thats not what your love partner woogie the bear says..

just push some weight!

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2006, 09:51:32 PM »
Thats not what your love partner woogie the bear says..

LOL

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2006, 09:22:26 AM »
I read that Primo gives you small gains but they're easier to keep and that the stuff has no sides? well the no sides thing is what the undercover pro says. and just so you guys don't start. No, I'm not planning on getting some for myself.

The drug is discontinued. It has no sides, but's a very weak anabolic.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2006, 10:26:17 AM »
discontinued? for how long?

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 12:35:41 PM »
The drug is discontinued. It has no sides, but's a very weak anabolic.
what is wrong with this then? if this is true i want some

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2006, 12:42:00 PM »
i still wouldn't do it. i couldn't believe there was a roid with no sides. anyway i'm not about to start doing illegal drugs