Author Topic: Joe & Ben Weider's new book "Brother's in Iron"  (Read 6798 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Joe & Ben Weider's new book "Brother's in Iron"
« on: May 26, 2006, 12:47:01 AM »
For more info, click here...

http://www.getbig.com/news/2006-02/060521weider.htm

On May 19th, 2006, Ben Weider, President of the International Federation of Bodybuilders & Fitness (IFBB), was a featured author at the BookExpo America (BEA), Washington, DC promoting "Brothers of Iron," a new 300-page book written with his brother Joe. The BEA is the largest book publishing event in the U.S. with over 2000 exhibits and publishers on display.

"Brothers of Iron," chronicles the life of how two young boys from a poor but hard-working Jewish family in Montreal, Canada, revolutionized the sport of bodybuilding and helped inspire the global physical fitness movement. "For nearly three years, Joe and I have been hard at work on this book," said Weider. "Through our book, Joe and I want to share our values of life and hard work with people all around the world. Anything is possible as long as you are willing to make sacrifices and have passion," Weider said

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
Re: Joe & Ben Weider's new book "Brother's in Iron"
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 01:29:13 AM »
 ::) i bet they leave alot of things out

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 04:10:42 AM »
why are the in that position on the jacket...of all poses   LOL

LLES

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 06:24:45 AM »
Just what the world needs, another book by the Weiders telling everyone how great they are  ::)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 10:07:25 AM »
1951 reg park won and they gave weider a gift placing him 5th in the tall class by the way 2nd was oscar heidenstein also probably a gift of the nabba.
F

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 10:29:02 AM »

Another cash-grab, eh?

I wonder if they bought an ad in Muscle & Fitness to promote it.

Maybe they can get one of those Musclemag info-ad things.   

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 10:35:10 AM »
I'll probably end up buying it.....

but if there's 300 pages.....

how many of it will be some ridiculous ads?

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 10:37:48 AM »
1951 reg park won and they gave weider a gift placing him 5th in the tall class by the way 2nd was oscar heidenstein also probably a gift of the nabba.

wow, good job!  funk51 you're like a bodybuilding encyclopedia

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 10:40:07 AM »
Probably a good read reguardless of whats left out , I'll pick it on Amazon when its $5 bucks !!

ether

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 10:40:58 AM »
The weider's are JEWISH???? :o

Maybe that is why they can afford to have "superstars" like Bob Chick AND Shawn Ray on the payroll.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 11:48:54 AM »
wow, good job!  funk51 you're like a bodybuilding encyclopedia

>:(

anvil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 12:37:08 PM »
>:(

Why the angry face?  I was serious; I don't know anyone who could quote that info as quickly as he did

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 12:39:02 PM »
Why the angry face?  I was serious; I don't know anyone who could quote that info as quickly as he did

http://musclememory.com, the reason I have no life

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 12:45:07 PM »
why are the in that position on the jacket...of all poses   LOL

;D It is a very strange choice for a cover photo. Two guys and a bunch of fruit baskets?
a

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 12:51:17 PM »
;D It is a very strange choice for a cover photo. Two guys and a bunch of fruit baskets?

now that you say it... lol

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 12:59:22 PM »

Will get the book, review it, and give an honest opinion of the book, as I am sure that most of you never even met Joe or Ben Weider...

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 01:06:15 PM »

Will get the book, review it, and give an honest opinion of the book, as I am sure that most of you never even met Joe or Ben Weider...

thx ron.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 01:08:19 PM »
;D It is a very strange choice for a cover photo.

That's just the beginning. Capitalizing on the current DaVinci 'conspiracy fiction' craze, the bros embedded a secret message within the book's text. I've almost got it cracked:

TH_   PRINC_PLES   AR_   BUL_SH_T

Any help is appreciated.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 01:11:57 PM »
'a heartwarming story of how 2 jews made alot of money through swindling and exploiting people, and never actually worked out themselves' ;D

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 01:14:07 PM »
That's just the beginning. Capitalizing on the current DaVinci 'conspiracy fiction' craze, the bros embedded a secret message within the book's text. I've almost got it cracked:

TH_   PRINC_PLES   AR_   BUL_SH_T

Any help is appreciated.

aaaaaa mmmmm, yes, no, i don't get it.  ;D

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 02:53:17 PM »
Ok, I got BULLSH_T, but the rest of the vowels are hidden somewhere in the provocative midbook photos.

More hard wood than an oak forest, I tell ya. Can't do it.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 10:49:58 PM »
For those who don't know - here is information on the Weider Principles..

How many Weider Principles are there, and are they really all made up from Joe Weider. No, but they were collected, sorted and eventual named the Weider Principles...

Weider Principles

The Weider System has been in existence for fifty years or so, and has grown over the years to incorporate other great training ideas as they came along. It's actually not a "system" in the strict definition of the term, but rather a "guide" to aid you in developing your own personal system based on your own unique recuperative ability, experience, goals, strengths, weaknesses, and ---well -- "guts" to go the distance.

This Weider System "guidelines" comes in the form of a series of training methods collected from the strongmen and writers of the day (and in most instances named) by Joe Weider personally over many years, which became widely known as the Weider Principles. In fact, of the Weider Principles that were developed by Joe personally, one in particular had a major impact on the world of bodybuilding. That was the concept of splitting your workouts to train specific body parts. The split system, double split system and triple split system, as they became known as, are Joe's unique contribution to bodybuilding science.

There are three broad categories of Weider Principles:

1) Principles To Help You Plan Your Training Cycle
2) Principles To Help You Arrange Your Exercises In Each Workout
3) Principles To Help You Perform Each Exercise

These three categories of principles discussed in the Weider System are listed below with a brief explanation of each. One of the principles appears in all three categories. That's the Instinctive Training Principle. Folks, it's simple. Use your own training experience and knowledge of how your body responds to exercise stress when planning and carrying out a training program! This must take place on a cycle-to-cycle, day-to-day and quite literally a minute-to-minute basis!

And, oh...do me a favor? DON'T tell me that the names of these principles (or whatever you want to call them) aren't Joe's creations or that Joe's an evil, self-serving egomaniac!!!! Look beyond that petty nonsense and get into the rather well organized aspect of the stuff he put together. THAT'S Joe's!

PRINCIPLES TO HELP YOU PLAN YOUR TRAINING CYCLE

1) Cycle Training Principle (Breaking your training year into cycles for strength, mass or contest preparation you help avoid injury and keep your body responsive to adaptation)

2) Split System Training Principle (Breaking your workout week into upper versus lower body training, for example, results in more intense training sessions)

3) Double or Triple Split Training Principle (Breaking your workout down into two or three shorter, more intense training sessions per day)

4) Muscle Confusion Principle (Muscles accommodate to a specific type of stress ("habituate" or "plateau") when you continually apply the same stress to your muscles over time, so you must constantly vary exercises, sets, reps and weight to avoid accommodation)

5) Progressive Overload Principle (The basis of increasing any parameter of fitness is to make your muscles work harder than they are accustomed to)

6) Holistic Training Principle (Different cellular organelles respond differently to different forms of stress, so using a variety of rep/set schemes, intensity and frequency will maximize muscle mass)

7) Eclectic Training Principle (Combining mass, strength or isolation-refinement training techniques as your instincts dictate into your program often help you achieve greater progress)

8) Instinctive Training Principle (Eventually, all bodybuilders instinctively attain the ability to construct diets, routines, cycles, intensity levels, reps and sets that work best for them)

PRINCIPLES TO HELP YOU ARRANGE YOUR WORKOUT

9) Set System Training Principle (Performing one set per bodypart was the old way; the Set System calls for multiple sets for each exercise in order to apply maximum adaptive stress)

10) Superset Training Principle (alternating opposing muscle group exercises with little rest between sets)

11)Compound Sets Training Principle (alternating two exercises for one bodypart with little rest between sets)

12) Tri-Sets Training Principle (Doing 3 exercises for one muscle group with little rest between sets)

13) Giant Sets Training Principle (Doing 4-6 exercises for one muscle group with little rest between sets)

14) Staggered Sets Principle (injecting 10 sets of boring forearm, abdominal or calf work in between sets for (say) chest or legs)

15) Rest-Pause Principle (using 85-90 percent of your max, do 2-3 reps and put the weight down. Then do 2-3 more, rest, 2-3 more and rest for a total of 3-4 rest-pauses. The short rest-pauses allow enough time for ATP to be resynthesized and permit further reps with the heavy weight);

16) Muscle Priority Principle (Work your weaker body parts first in any given workout; alternatively, work the larger muscle groups first, while you're fresh and energy levels still high)

17) Pre-Exhaustion Principle (example: superset flies, a chest isolation exercise, with bench presses, a compound exercise involving triceps and chest, in order to maximize chest development by pre-exhausting the triceps)

18) Pyramiding Training Principle (start a bodypart session with higher rep/low weight and gradually add weight (and commensurably reduce the reps), ending with a weight you can do for 5 reps or so)

19) Descending Sets Principle (lighter weights from set to set as fatigue sets in --0 called "stripping")

20) Staggered Sets Training Principle (stagger smaller, slow-developing body parts in between sets for larger muscle groups)

21) Instinctive Training Principle (Eventually, all bodybuilders instinctively attain the ability to construct diets, routines, cycles, intensity levels, reps and sets that work best for them)

PRINCIPLES TO HELP YOU PERFORM EACH EXERCISE

22) Isolation Principle (All muscles act as stabilizers, synergists, antagonist or protagonist. By making any given muscle the prime mover in any given exercise you've "isolated" it as much as possible, and therefore the stress applied to it)

23) Quality Training Principle (gradually reducing the rest between sets while still maintaining or increasing the number of reps performed)

24) Cheating Training Principle (swing weight past the sticking point at the end of a set in order to add stress)

25) Continuous Tension Principle (maintain slow, continuous tension on muscles to maximize red fiber involvement)

26) Forced Reps Training Principle (partner-assisted reps at the end of a set)

27) Flushing Training Principle (Doing 3-4 exercises for a bodypart before moving to another bodypart)

28) Burns Training Principle (2-3 inch, quick movements at the end of a set

29) Partial Reps Training Principle (Because of leverage changes throughout any given exercise, it's sometimes helpful to do partial movements with varying weight in order to derive maximum overload stress for that bodypart)

30) Retro-Gravity Principle ("Negatives" or "eccentrics" as they're called, make it possible to get more muscle cells to respond because you can lower about 30-40 percent more weight than you can successfully lift concentrically);

31) Peak Contraction Principle (holding the weight through maximum contraction for a few seconds at the completion of a movement);

32) Superspeed Principle (compensatory acceleration of movements to stimulate hard-to-reach fast twitch fibers);

33) Iso-Tension Principle (method of practicing posing, tensing each muscle maximally for 6-10 seconds for up to a total of 30-44 flexes in a variety of posing positions);

34) Instinctive Training Principle (Eventually, all bodybuilders instinctively attain the ability to construct diets, routines, cycles, intensity levels, reps and sets that work best for them)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 10:56:38 PM »
It's interesting to see how Weider still is a quite big supplier of lifting equipment in Europe, and seems to be going into the former Eastern Europe, getting market shares.

Weiders, aside from Benny Boy's Napoleon obsession, seems like extremely savvy businessmen.

But why is Rafael on the Run?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2006, 03:07:33 AM »
It's interesting to see how Weider still is a quite big supplier of lifting equipment in Europe, and seems to be going into the former Eastern Europe, getting market shares.

Weiders, aside from Benny Boy's Napoleon obsession, seems like extremely savvy businessmen.

But why is Rafael on the Run?

YIP
Zack

Weider has the biggest market shares because of flex and M&F. No MD in europe... :'(