Author Topic: Why compete?  (Read 5468 times)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Why compete?
« on: May 26, 2006, 04:27:34 PM »
I will always train and enjoy watching shows  and reading mags ,posting/reading on get big, etc.
I no longer think it makes sense to compete, ( I did over 30 shows in my day) . I was curious how many feel like I do on this issue?
In brief here is my take:
Like 99% here and around the sport , my physique is nothing aweome, thus unless I get something out of being in a contest, it really has no impact on the sport (good or bad) if I compete.Plus, I am not going to do "whatever it takes" to win (ie  drugs / extreme contest prep ordeals). I honestly am happy and content to watch others but have no desire to join in , prove anything or beat others , etc.

I have to admit I am lot happier just running 5k races, trying to get my abs back :-[ and feeling good overall.A BP meet might be fun, hmmmmm :P

I am not jealous of the pros or top national guys and really do admire what they put on a contest stage.
Like me, are you happy to simply do your own thing and watch others get on the actual stage?
Howard
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Why compete?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 04:44:44 PM »
i won a nice trophy at a local show years ago,it was a gift practically cause only 4 guys showed up for my class and one guy got sick and left,i wasnt in top shape either so i consider the trophy a gift.at least one day i can show it to my kids or something which is always cool

R

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 04:45:50 PM »
i won a nice trophy at a local show years ago,it was a gift practically cause only 4 guys showed up for my class and one guy got sick and left,i wasnt in top shape either so i consider the trophy a gift.at least one day i can show it to my kids or something which is always cool

Ironic you have a picture of Jesus in the back and a bronze idol in the front..
just push some weight!

unbatrainer

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 04:46:36 PM »
u compete 2 have fun and 2 stay in shape.
here u go unba universe natural july 15,2006
hermosa beach calif, unbainc.com
ten year and going

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 04:47:39 PM »

LOL

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 04:50:55 PM »
;D I know wait until Moses comes back off that Mountain again and sees the bronze idol...better duck when he tosses the tablets...trust me  :o

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 04:54:52 PM »
[/quote

i also listen to alot of gospel shows during the day while i post on getbig,also i dont think my jesus picture would be to stable on top of my tv and the trophy wouldnt be to secure taped or glued to the wall.jesus is number 1 in our little home
R

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 05:06:59 PM »
Ok, I am not into any religion but think it is good when folks have sincere beliefs.
All the best and it is a nice trophy.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 05:13:53 PM »
thanks bro,i try to keep it real on the boards,nothing more and nothing less
R

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 05:15:48 PM »
i also listen to alot of gospel shows during the day while i post on getbig,also i dont think my jesus picture would be to stable on top of my tv and the trophy wouldnt be to secure taped or glued to the wall.jesus is number 1 in our little home

I respect you for your faith but I would not put that idol anywhere near a picture of Jesus. You must have heard the old testament in one of your gospel shows. ;)
just push some weight!

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 05:19:13 PM »
thanks bro,i try to keep it real on the boards,nothing more and nothing less
Cool  ;) How was your contest experience overall.
Most of mine were rather negative even when I won I was told how I could be better, never could just enjoy it and many in the show resented me winning and I felt like crap physically, etc.
When a lost or got blown out as an also ran (end of the pack), I felt like a big idiot.
The only shows I enjoyed is :
1. Win or lose it was close and a real battle
2. Some actual sportsmanship and iron brotherhood was the atmosphere.

#2 was rare overall

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 05:27:03 PM »
this sounds alittle crazy but i saw some girls in the crowd laughing when i was posing in the pre judging and i started thinking stuff like maybe i got something on my nose or they are laughing at my build or worst yet saying i got a small pecker.i was so paranoid and i was pissed at myself cause i knew i should have dieted stricter,but at that point its to late and i just wanted it to end so i could go home and have a few brewskies and burn a doob,i was very proud of my trophy though cause atleast i went up on that stage and said hell with it and posed my balls off with my bitch tits bouncing all over the stage ;D
R

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 05:30:12 PM »
this sounds alittle crazy but i saw some girls in the crowd laughing when i was posing in the pre judging and i started thinking stuff like maybe i got something on my nose or they are laughing at my build or worst yet saying i got a small pecker.i was so paranoid and i was pissed at myself cause i knew i should have dieted stricter,but at that point its to late and i just wanted it to end so i could go home and have a few brewskies and burn a doob,i was very proud of my trophy though cause atleast i went up on that stage and said hell with it and posed my balls off with my bitch tits bouncing all over the stage ;D

Ok I gotta come back on this ;)
It was the big brown skid mark on the back of your trunks that may have caused the laughter ( it happens, trust me I know ). Or knowing  how my wife is, they were all shocked at the big buldge you had compared to the juicers in the show who had nuts like raisins and were giggling like school girls peeping in the boys PE shower :o

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 05:33:05 PM »
I respect you for your faith but I would not put that idol anywhere near a picture of Jesus. You must have heard the old testament in one of your gospel shows. ;)

your right bro,as amatter of fact i just mentioned it to my wife and she is moving the picture on the other wall,i think theres a difference though cause im not worshipping the trophy or bowing down to it,i just keep it there so when freinds comeover they cant miss it and i can have acouple minutes of glory talking about how i won it,ya know kinda like al bundy,s football trophy,s open up the door for him to tell people about his 4 touchdowns in one game
R

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 05:33:18 PM »
Ok, I am not into any religion but think it is good when folks have sincere beliefs.
All the best and it is a nice trophy.

Don't type that. Jesus might see it :-\

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2006, 05:38:35 PM »
before the posedown i stuffed a huge thermal sock in my posing trunks and it started popping out while i was posing,man i was shittin bricks cause the embarresment would have been to much if anyone spotted the sock,plus i used dya derm and i looked all spotted up darker in some spots,plus i forgot to cut my toe nails and my feet looked like some primates foot with these huge pointed bent up nails sticking out
R

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 05:44:43 PM »
I really don't see the point unless you have a great (not good) physique

some say it's fun, how is it fun to dehydrate yourself and totally avoid anything that tastes good?

E
E

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 05:44:59 PM »
before the posedown i stuffed a huge thermal sock in my posing trunks and it started popping out while i was posing,man i was shittin bricks cause the embarresment would have been to much if anyone spotted the sock,plus i used dya derm and i looked all spotted up darker in some spots,plus i forgot to cut my toe nails and my feet looked like some primates foot with these huge pointed bent up nails sticking out

Ya gotta use a medium size kilbasa sausage , the sock never works like you want ;D

I might, emphasis on MIGHT do a show late sept, a buddy of mine at my gym wants us both to get in the masters at a regional show, just for the hell of it. That could be fun, but other than that kind of thing, I have nore more serious contest plans like masters nationals or state chamionships, etc

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 05:45:55 PM »

some say it's fun, how is it fun to dehydrate yourself and totally avoid anything that tastes good?

E

It's the only way to be a real bodybuilder according to some people ::)

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 05:50:22 PM »

E

Read my thoughts  I guess  ;D ;D ;D
Great minds think alike.
I know, I know, I know, I no longer have desire to suffer to look good enough to try and impress others who will most likely find fault no matter how I look. I love bodybuilding, but after doing over 30 shows, winning some losing  more than some, etc, it was all 90% negative overall. I jst started to figure that paying to feel  horrible and have a bad time was crazy.
Ironic that enjoy judging shows and like bodybuilding, etc

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 06:03:11 PM »
i realised also that i didnt have the genetics to go far in the sport,alot of these guys out there these days are dreaming one day they are going to be the next jay or ronnie,nothing wrong with dreams and all but you have to be realistic about things and not live in a fantasy world,ive been lifting since 1973 and around 1983 i was a big kid with some muscle but i wasnt what you would call a fast gainer,also i had to many weak points to deal with and then the drug issue comes into play, you need alot of coin to do the drugs and id rather go out and buy my girl something nice or buy some food for the house instead of buying the chemicals.years after that down the line i did use large amounts of testosterone and other anabolics and androgens just to experiment alittle,it just wasnt worth it for me
R

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 06:05:19 PM »

Great minds think alike.

very true howie 8)

ever notice how most of the assclowns around here disagree with me? ;)

E
E

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 06:09:32 PM »
anyone ever try methadone?really relaxes you,i just got abunch yesterday and the buzz is outstanding,its calorie free and has no carbs so im okay
R

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 06:17:12 PM »
If you compete and enjoy it, then continue to.  My only thing with competitions is often there are many with no competition. 
In short, if you win the 100m hurdles in the lightweight division of the special olympic, I wouldn't consider it accomplishing much.
Making the Olympia, different story.
N

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 06:30:02 PM »
anyone ever try methadone?really relaxes you,i just got abunch yesterday and the buzz is outstanding,its calorie free and has no carbs so im okay

They are for Heroin addicts :(
I