Author Topic: infrequent training  (Read 6331 times)

yangmian

• Getbig II
infrequent training
« on: May 26, 2006, 08:45:23 PM »
been training 2x a week very basic program 1 workout bench press,chin,military press,calf raise workout2 trap bar deadlift ,trap bar shrug,barbell curl triceps exstension.progress has slowed and was thinking of training just once a week,so each exercise would only get trained once every 14 days see if my strenght improves i work a manual labour job and thought the extra rest might help.whata think to little training

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Re: infrequent training
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 08:52:16 PM »
no logic in that, you're doing something so infrequently, and when that doesn work u conclude that the frequency should be dropped even further?  ???
Maybe its the opposite case, maybe u need to try 2 full body workouts a week assuming that u can only train 2 days a week.
follow the arrows

BallzDeep69

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 06:01:06 AM »
I think you should train 3 days a week.

Push
Pull
Legs

In that order.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 06:13:50 AM »
I only train once per week.
That's one, 40 minute, full-body workout.

The last time I did workouts within seven days of each other was over 18 months ago.

Just something to consider. I row 200 lbs, squat 315 lbs (for 15) and deadlift 405 lbs (for 10)... so i'm not some lazy weakling.

The Luke

Tier

• Getbig III
  • Lift light with sloppy form
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 02:38:50 PM »
do u ever do any push exercises?  :-\

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 10:02:57 PM »

The last time I did workouts within seven days of each other was over 18 months ago.

Just something to consider. I row 200 lbs, squat 315 lbs (for 15) and deadlift 405 lbs (for 10)... so i'm not some lazy weakling.

The Luke
u must hate training...
follow the arrows

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 11:24:02 PM »
The way I train... vomiting and/or passing out are costant considerations. I also have to use a gum shield to make sure I don't grind up my fillings, which means cramps in my jaw and misaligning of my teeth each and every workout.

Surprisingly, I actually love training.

The Luke

yangmian

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 05:36:59 PM »
The way I train... vomiting and/or passing out are costant considerations. I also have to use a gum shield to make sure I don't grind up my fillings, which means cramps in my jaw and misaligning of my teeth each and every workout.

The Luke
have u found ur gains better since training once per week

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 09:44:42 PM »

The Luke
why do u train only once a week? Thats the reason I commented abt u not liking training...cuz u only train 4 times in a whole month! lol!
follow the arrows

BallzDeep69

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 03:30:48 AM »
Training once a week is just plain LAZINESS!  In a GETBIG way!

Imagine how lousy the conditioning would be in a person who only gets challenged anaerobically once a week. 

The luke I hope you are atleast doing some cardio on your off days.  If not you are looking at a short life-span buddy!

Bast175

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 09:16:09 AM »
Training once a week would work just fine, although you'd have to do a hell of a lot in that day of training. 

yangmian

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 06:54:45 PM »
Training once a week is just plain LAZINESS!  In a GETBIG way!

Imagine how lousy the conditioning would be in a person who only gets challenged anaerobically once a week. 

The luke I hope you are atleast doing some cardio on your off days.  If not you are looking at a short life-span buddy!
i dont see it as laziness at all i love 2 train if i could train 7 days a week and still make progress i would but u have 2 train within ur own recuperative ability if i can only gain on 1 or 2 days a week then thats what i would do

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2006, 11:55:16 AM »
I've made some good progress training that way (once a week), especially in the lower body. I do try to do a bit of cardio as well.

The problem I have is that I'm getting so good at training... my entire lower body workout consists of one set of Smith machine squats. No hamstring work, no calf work and I only squat for three of my four monthly workouts. Doesn't sound like much, but it's unusual for me to be able to walk properly the next day... the muscle soreness is severe for at least four days afterwards, and doesn't dissipate till at least the fifth day after squatting.

Maybe I'm pushing too hard. I do lose feeling in my hands and neck during most sets, and have both puked and passed out several times while training. Nausea is a regular part of every workout. I don't mind that so much, it's the tunnel vision and adrenal hypersimulation that are really creepy. Nervous system overload is the weirdest experience I've ever had in my life... anyone else who's experienced it will agree.

I thought you guys would understand/assume that I was training hard enough to warrant six rest days, I'm far from lazy. After all, why do ou think they call me THE Luke?

What way do you guys train??

The Luke

JKDMan

• Getbig IV
  • The G.O.A.T.
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2006, 12:56:52 PM »

The Luke
I enjoy the feeling of training WAY too much to train once a week for 40 minutes. Frankly I agree that that seems lazy as hell, but if it's working...

My routine changes all the time, but I'm currently "old-schooling" it. Six days per week, hitting each bodypart twice. I get tighter much quicker this way, and when I'm getting enough rest I get a bit stronger as well.
Lee

BallzDeep69

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 07:24:08 PM »
I've made some good progress training that way (once a week), especially in the lower body. I do try to do a bit of cardio as well.

The problem I have is that I'm getting so good at training... my entire lower body workout consists of one set of Smith machine squats. No hamstring work, no calf work and I only squat for three of my four monthly workouts. Doesn't sound like much, but it's unusual for me to be able to walk properly the next day... the muscle soreness is severe for at least four days afterwards, and doesn't dissipate till at least the fifth day after squatting.

Maybe I'm pushing too hard. I do lose feeling in my hands and neck during most sets, and have both puked and passed out several times while training. Nausea is a regular part of every workout. I don't mind that so much, it's the tunnel vision and adrenal hypersimulation that are really creepy. Nervous system overload is the weirdest experience I've ever had in my life... anyone else who's experienced it will agree.

I thought you guys would understand/assume that I was training hard enough to warrant six rest days, I'm far from lazy. After all, why do ou think they call me THE Luke?

The Luke

You wouldn't need 6 days of rest if you split up your training some.  Atleast 2 days a week. 

Why do they call you the luke?  Maybe because that's your name. :D Duh

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 11:44:55 PM »
It's not "The Luke" it's "THE Luke"... pronounced "thee" Luke.

I got that name because I'm not a hard trainer... I'm a god among men.

The Luke

BallzDeep69

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 12:49:15 AM »
Wow.

Well atleast you're not delusional. ::)

Is that the roids talking?  Giving you false grandiose thoughts of yourself?

yangmian

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006, 06:07:19 PM »
It's not "The Luke" it's "THE Luke"... pronounced "thee" Luke.

I got that name because I'm not a hard trainer... I'm a god among men.
ur not rob blakeman r u

The Luke

Oliver Klaushof

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006, 09:15:41 PM »
I like this new version of Thee Luke. Thee olde Luke was humble, this Luke has balls.  ;D
"Shut the F up and train"

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006, 09:25:15 PM »
Someday I'm going to post a video of one of my workouts... then you will know the power, and the glory that is The Luke.

The Luke

BallzDeep69

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2006, 12:09:09 AM »
I'm looking foward to seeing the greatness that is you. ::)

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 10:53:16 AM »

The Luke

Most people won't train that hard for one reason or another, alsomany trainees are scared that they will shrink if they don't train more frequently, even if they are training different muscle groups on each day.

I think that there is value in this approach, your getting stronger which means that progress is being made.

I used to perform a full body workout tweice a week, the program was simple but extremely brutal. It involved completing 10 exercise back to back, to failure, with forced reps added in for good measure. the workout would take about 15 minutes to complete but would leave me on the floor with tunnel vision, nausea, and extreme tiredness. A few of us that did this program threw up a few times.

The gains? 10 pounds of new body weight in a month (8 workouts) while I got leaner with no increase in caloric intake, no supplements, etc.
I also gained a huge amount of strength as well.

After a month I felt over trained, and could'nt figure out why, I now know that I should have added an extra day or two between bouts of exercise, train every 5 days or so.

The program?
1. Barbell squat 20 reps
2. dumbell pullover 20 reps
3. calves raise 15 reps
4. deadlift 15 reps
5. bench press 10 reps
6. bentover row

Got to go will post the rest though

myseone

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 11:03:28 AM »
Okay heres the program

I performed the following workout with no rest between exercises, back to back, 1 set each exercise to failure with forced reps, the program took about 15 mins to complete.

1. Squats 20 reps
2. heavy dumbbell pullover 20 reps
3. donkey calves raise 15 reps
4. Bent knee deadlift 15 reps
5. bench press 8-10 reps
6. bent over row 8-10 reps
7. shoulder press barbell 8-10
8. biceps curl 8-10
9. barbell wrist curls 15 reps
10. weighted crunches 15-20 reps

If you are going to try this, you are going to need aq training partner that is brutally hard on you, no easy rackers here. You are going to need to be highly motivated, and have a fair degree of tollerance of pain and nausea. You are going to have to add a little bit to the bar each time you train, try adding 5lbs to the squat and deads each time you train.

The benefits, drastically increased stamina with heavy loads, increased muscle mass, more cuts, more strength.

Oh yeah, do this workout on two days a week that are as far apart as possible, for example Tues and friday, wed and sat, you get the point.