Author Topic: How much muscle can a person NATURALLY gain in a year?  (Read 7855 times)

Army of One

• Getbig V
How much muscle can a person NATURALLY gain in a year?
« on: May 27, 2006, 02:26:03 AM »
Say a person has very little to no training, how much MUSCLE can a person naturally gain, I just read a link to a study that said no more than 20 pounds of muscle can be gained in a year.BTW people who previously were say a muscular 200 pounds then stopped and shrunk to 160 then lifted and got muscle memory dont count.

Tombo

• Getbig V
Re: How much muscle can a person NATURALLY gain in a year?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 02:35:29 AM »
'x' pounds

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 02:38:51 AM »
Say a person has very little to no training, how much MUSCLE can a person naturally gain, I just read a link to a study that said no more than 20 pounds of muscle can be gained in a year.BTW people who previously were say a muscular 200 pounds then stopped and shrunk to 160 then lifted and got muscle memory dont count.

That's a loaded and vague question. It all depends on the guys genetics, how hard (and smart) he trains, along with the quality and quantity of nutrients he consumes.

Personally, I think 20 lbs is a bit light. Someone could put on 60 lbs in one year, depending on such factors. Even if half of that is fat, that's still 30 lbs. of lean mass on his body. You'll never know how much you can grow, until you just go for it.

And, don't fall into the "hardgainer" mentality. If you have a fast metabolism and an ectomorphic build (as I do), you simply compensate for that by eating more calorie-dense foods. Simply put: eat whole eggs (not just egg whites); drink whole milk (not skim milk, unless you buy it in bulk ala powdered milk); and eat beef instead of chicken.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 02:50:12 AM »
Considering its optimal conditions for training,eating and resting.

The biggest factor would be how big you are,if you are at your peak you probably wont gain any noticable weight for months.

On the other hand if you just started training you are gonna grow like a weed :)

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 02:52:09 AM »
or if u have guy genes my friends grow legs of benching

Exal

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 03:25:47 AM »
I'm a natural lifter, and after about 8 months of lifting and just eating everything I could get my hands on I grew from a skinny 132 pound to 165 pounds and I'm not even training that seriously...

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 03:29:05 AM »
I'm a natural lifter, and after about 8 months of lifting and just eating everything I could get my hands on I grew from a skinny 132 pound to 165 pounds and I'm not even training that seriously...

Early gains don't mean anything.

Exal

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 03:32:59 AM »
"Say a person has very little to no training, how much MUSCLE can a person naturally gain, I just read a link to a study that said no more than 20 pounds of muscle can be gained in a year."

Well he is talking about having little to no training...

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 03:33:31 AM »

so you're just fat now?

Exal

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 03:35:52 AM »
I'm leaner now than when I started...

I'm just trying to share my experience with him...

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 03:38:47 AM »
I'm just trying to share my experience with him...

you were a 'portly' 132 pounder?

how tall are you guy?

Exal

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 03:40:01 AM »
6 feet

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 03:42:52 AM »
6 feet

:D

well you've come to the right place my man

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 09:28:02 AM »
it's hard to say because most newbies will gain atleast 30lbs of weight their first year of serious training and they'll claim that is is all muscle when maybe half of it is actual muscle

I think you can gain 15 lbs of muscle your first year of training

after that 5 - 10 depending on diet, training, genetics

E
E

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2006, 09:58:14 AM »
probably a 100 lbs.
Deep Tissue Massage

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2006, 10:06:22 AM »
a person new to bodybuilding can probably add 15 to 20lbs of muscle in one year,a guy whos been pumping iron for alot of years will be lucky to add 3 to 5lbs of muscle ayear natural,even drugged it aint easy to put on 5 to 10lbs of muscle ayear when your advanced imo
R

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2006, 10:12:05 AM »
my friend gained 35 pounds his first year, he had good genes tho. me on the otherhand, with my shitty genes, gained a monstrous 10 pounds my first year.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2006, 10:25:08 AM »
my friend gained 35 pounds his first year, he had good genes tho. me on the otherhand, with my shitty genes, gained a monstrous 10 pounds my first year.

35lbs is a great gain,maybe alittle was fat and water but nonetheless thats impressive,even a 10lb clean muscle gain is excellent imo,its enough to see a difference
R

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2006, 10:26:24 AM »
5 pounds a year is reasonable for someone who is post-adolescent (over 22-25) and already in shape

someone who is under 25 with lots of natural testosterone and who is starting out underweight should be able to gain 20 pounds or more.  16 and 18 year olds have as much testosterone naturally as someone doing a light cycle of steroids, so if they eat and train right, they can make significant gains.

JKDMan

• Getbig IV
  • The G.O.A.T.
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2006, 10:49:21 AM »
3.14 pounds.  ;)
Lee

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2006, 10:56:32 AM »
this is why people consistency is the key to bodybuilding. If your natural, its tougher to see gains. But if you stick to your diet through the entire year, every year your gonna look drastically different...always improving.

Thats why its so hard. Look at pros, they are pros because they are the models of cionsistency...eat right, eat right, eat right...ITs more what you eat than how you train..most of us here are experts at training in the gym...our form, and focus varies but thats all.. (checking your ego at the door and using weight you can control)

jacshelb

• Getbig II
  • "guys in tank tops are assholes"
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2006, 11:59:43 AM »
For me, it went like this: 1st year 145-162, 2nd year 162-176, 3rd year 176-190, 4th year 190-205 ish.  From there (years 5 and now the beginning of 6th) I've been as heavy as 224 and as light as 197 depending on my bf level.  I'll be honest and say that, at my heaviest, my waist was 37 inches and it started out at 32.  So, basically in gaining 80 lbs., 25 of it was fat.  But, I dieted most of that off for a contest and now am about 205 with a much more trim waist than at my heaviest.  So, in a little over 5 years, muscle gains average out to about 12 lbs a year or so with a little fat gained and lost here and there. 

I'm hoping to put on some quality muscle mass over the next two years, but it does get hard after awhile.  Basically, training, diet, and rest have to be more and more dialed in as it becomes harder and harder to make gains.  Over time, though it gets harder to make gains, you learn a lot about what works for you.

the shadow

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • THE FLAG OF THE ZAPATISTA ARMY OF LIBERATION
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2006, 12:05:20 PM »
dude as far as i know naturally built muscle is more long lasting.this means that even when u reach the age of 40yrs u still have visible muscles.if u built a body by using supplements and immediately stop takin them for a while u gradually shrink and all the muscles r wasted.so  as far as i know natural bodybuilding is more healthy,a bit time consuming and lasts for ever..u won't loose any muscle as far ur totally natural...
RATM RULZ THE WORLD

Tinsley

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2006, 12:27:23 PM »
I went from about 235-245 when I played college football to 275-280 within eight months naturally.  I worked at a gym and had their bf test done once weekly, and I stayed the same fat mass.

I think if training and dieting becomes a major focus in your life and not an afterthought it is possible to put on a high gain within a relatively short period of time.  As much as people say they 'live like a pro', most don't and never really have a reason to.  Back then my body translated directly into an aspect of my livelihood, not so much anymore.

When I went back to school I really went downhill, now I'm sitting at about 6'3", 295lbs. and look nothing like I want to.  Thank god for diet soda and 24hr gyms, otherwise I would be about 350lbs from studying, sitting and snacking. 

BTW - Thanks to all those people who sent me 'Happy Grad' PM's.