Author Topic: Military Muscle  (Read 1994 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Military Muscle
« on: May 27, 2006, 08:24:35 AM »
Does anyone have any idea what professional bodybuilders served time in the US Armed Forces on active duty?

Who has served under comba conditionst?

I know that Steve Reeves was in the Navy for a short time during WWII and stationed someplace in the Pacific but I don't think anything has been written about his time in service. Any info? I THINK he got sick and ended up in a hospital towards the end of the war.

Any info regarding this subject would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
Re: Military Muscle
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 08:26:31 AM »

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 10:32:11 AM »
Muslce Power, Vol 3 No 7, Page 26, December 1947

After two years of body building Reeves was inducted into the service. He was stationed in the states for five months and then shipped to the Philippines, in the Twenty-fifth Combat Division of the Infantry. In June of '45 Steve contracted malaria and had seven very severe attacks of it during the next seven months. During this time his weight dropped from 205 to 170 pounds. Prior to his malaria attacks his weight and measurements had remained the same as they were when he was inducted. After a month or two of malaria Steve was transferred to the Quartermaster Corps and in March of '45 he was sent to Japan as part of the occupation troops. Up to this time he had had no chance whatever to train with weights and sick as he was, very little incentive. However, in Japan he began to feel like himself again and with the war over and a new lease on life, he decided to do something about his muscles and more. So, typical of a weight trained man he took the bull by the horns, and found himself a Japanese interpreter who took him to a foundry. There he designed and gave instructions for construction of a 210 pound barbell set, for which he paid one hundred dollars in American money. These he kept under his bed in his barracks. Then he built an exercise bench which passed army inspections, because it looked enough like an ironing board to fool the inspecting officers. Actually the bench was often used as an ironing board. Steve says it was a success both ways. He also managed to acquire several mirrors which were hung near his bed and so you see there was a well equipped body building studio in the heart of Japan. Reeves used this setup for his work-outs the last six months of his career in the service. During this time he increased his body weight from 170 to 195 Ibs. In Sept. 1946 he returned home.

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 10:35:34 AM »
garret downing?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 12:04:54 PM »
Thanks, Tim, I've never heard anything about that part of Steve's life until now. Thanks.

Bigger - Garrett was USMC if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks to Poppa too, but that site failed to come up on my computer, but I'll keep on tryen.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 12:07:00 PM »
You guys don't know this but when I was younger I was in the cadets. 8) Also I wanted to join the army so I went with my friend to apply at the salvation army. ;D
just push some weight!

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 12:07:25 PM »
i expected something else with a topic being "military muscle" im disappointed  >:(

where are the pictures  :-*
Z

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 12:14:10 PM »
i think chris cook was in the air force and he was stationed in alaska

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 01:35:37 PM »
Thanks, Tim, I've never heard anything about that part of Steve's life until now. Thanks.

go to musclememory.com, click on Articles, go to bottom, click on Search Table Of Contents of all magazines.

so far I've only typed in the table of contents of mags up to 1970.   only a few dozen articles have been scanned.