Author Topic: Anyone else watch royce gracie get owned by matt hughes last nite?  (Read 13524 times)

origintiger

• Getbig II
I was kinda surprised myself that it ended so quick,  royce did not look too happy at the end there. Anyone think he can train himself to actually compete and be a force in the UFC again?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Anyone else watch royce gracie get owned by matt hughes last nite?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 08:20:46 AM »
I thought it would be close until I realized that he'd had a couple of draws during his comeback. Still good but looks to be just a little too old now.

origintiger

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 08:29:39 AM »
lol old!  hes not even 40!  How old was couture when he re-tired?

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 08:49:38 AM »
im a huge gracie family fan but hughes clearly dominated him,no excuses here.the fights on youtube for the people that want to see it
R

origintiger

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 08:58:38 AM »
He took a few brutal shots to the head in the end there, it was almost like he did not know what to do but maybe there was nothing he could do to get out from under Matt.  ::)

Dnizneer

• Getbig III
  • Meat
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 09:25:03 AM »
I was kinda surprised myself that it ended so quick,  royce did not look too happy at the end there. Anyone think he can train himself to actually compete and be a force in the UFC again?

You cant be all submission like Royce now days. Back when he was dominating no one really knew much about ground fighting. Now all of the UFC fighters are proffesionally trained that know how to fight on the ground and standing up.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 09:29:00 AM »
lol old!  hes not even 40!  How old was couture when he re-tired?
Of course 40's old competing with a highly-conditioned athlete much younger and stronger. He could get away with it against lesser opponents only. The age factor would be even bigger considering the long layoff, even considering the recent tune-up fights. He probably knew that, but was able to generate a last big payday out of it.

Video:
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/huges%20vs%20gracie%20ufc%2060/video/205444

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 09:41:46 AM »
hughes had to learn jiu jitsu to be the beast he is today in the ufc,hughes was just a great wrestler and that was it,dennis hallman choked him out twice with his jiu jitsu skills and exposed mat.hughes worked very hard under jeremy horn and pat militich to sharpen his jiu jitsu skills so he wouldnt get caught in those jiu jitsu moves again,even though royce lost he still comes out a winner in the sense that mat had to learn jiu jitsu to be the champ he is in the octagon.mat is a great champ and i congradulate him on his impressive win last night,also i thank royce gracie for being the great pioneer he was and showing the world that you need to know ground techniques to be effective in mma,we all know that striking is just as important these days and you got to be well rounded or it just wont cut it,thanks for reading
R

GRACIE JIU-JITSU

• Getbig IV
  • HAIL SATAN. I'm a bad ass...You're just an ass.
Gracie Rules

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 10:02:33 AM »
It was a total bummer seeing that fight.  I know it was a looong shot for Royce, but I still hoped he would pull it off.  Matt dominated and was the better fighter...period.  Not sure why Royce even did this...nothing to prove.

What do you think the payday was ???
w

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 10:11:58 AM »
i heard royce got 1.5mill for the fight plus a percentage of the ppv,s,im not sure if thats true or not i just heard it
R

origintiger

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 10:36:46 AM »
Thats pretty good pay for taking a beating  ;D

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 11:43:41 AM »
Matt Hughes legend killer

can't wait for the rematch between Hughes and GSP
RIP Bob Probert

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 12:34:40 PM »
I hope GSP mops the floor with him...
w

airrick

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Treat others the way you want to be treated.
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 01:07:11 PM »
Thanks for the quick post!!!!!

Hughes clearly owned 'em from the get go.

Thanks again for the post!

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 01:07:25 PM »

Royce Gracie fought beat a lot of people much larger than he was but they were mostly unskilled and did not know how to deal with jujitsu.  Anyone can admit that Royce Gracie is a legendary fighter.

However, the UFC has changed greatly.  Fighters have adapted to the power of jujistu and the sport has evolved and the fight with Matt Hughes pretty much proves it. Matt Hughes won his title by Powerbombing the former champ unconcious.  He's knocked out people as well as submitted them and he cannot be beaten easy.  That second fight against Frank Trigg make me realize just how good Matt is.  He took all of his punches when he was getting pummeled and then picked him up and slammed him all the way accross the other side of the ring, beat the dude senseless, and then choked him out.  Now that's crazy if you ask me. 

Matt Hughes is essentially all-in-one fighting machine.   
A

IronGame

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 01:21:16 PM »
Wallid showed his weakness at gi jiu-jitsu.  Saku dominated him in MMA.  Now, Hughes puts the nail in the coffin. 

The first time I went to Brazil, I was surprised that the guys I met there had no respect or awe for Royce what so ever.  They felt his jiu-jitsu was only average, and any one of them could have accomplished the same things he did. I thought they just jealous, but now I think there was some truth to their words.  Rickson is another story.  None of the guys had anything but respect for him.
white belt for life

SquatAss

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 01:38:54 PM »
Not sure why Royce even did this...nothing to prove.

Royce had A LOT to prove. Everybody thought the fighters of today had surpassed him and that he was too one dimensional to be able to compete.

Everybody was right.

slummin

• Getbig II
  • BB Vips posting here encourage the growing disease
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 05:50:27 PM »
Royce lost because he had no Ghi on to use as a crutch like he did in the old days.

H4eafy

• Getbig III
  • I will Stop Procrastinating... Tomorrow
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 05:51:26 PM »
The draws were in fights where they agreed to make it a draw (no judges) if it went the distance.

I thought the fight would go this way but was way to scared to call it.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 06:05:26 PM »
Give Royce his due.  Huges defeated him using jiu-jitsu techniques.  He clearly broke Royce's arm but he never tapped out.  He never tapped out while he was being punched.  The ref stopped the fight.  Royce soaking wet doesn't weigh over 180.  His striking game is weak but is heart is something no one can challenge.  If it wasn't for Royce everyone would think an average black belt Karate guy was the man.  How many Karate guys had to hide in shame after guys started practicing Jiu-jitsu after seeing Royce?  I know a lot of Karate black belts in my state NJ ran to Royce's cousin Renzo and Craig Kukuk dojo after watching Royce destroy guys in the early days of UFC.  The first day in class they would have their black belt on.  When they were submitted by white belts they would show up for the next class with a white belt on.  

If one thing that mixed martial arts contests have shown.  No one is invincible.  For us to put down Royce shows how shallow some followers of this sport are.  Huges is a great, great fighter.  He also will be defeated in time by the new next great fighter. Royce even said prior to the fight that if he is defeated with a arm bar or a ground fighting technique it will be a tribute to his family.  

origintiger

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2006, 06:14:27 PM »
Still he did'nt look to happy,  It would be kinda neat to see what he could do with some updated training.  I wonder if some other gracie fighter will come out to fight soon?  ::)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2006, 06:34:12 PM »
His training is updated.  He is fighting a guy that is twice as strong as he is. Royce couldn't bench 225 in his life. His arms are under 15 inches.   He is a  VW bug going against a souped up Ferrari in Huges.  Royce could train Huges in technique.  Again it is a tribute to his family that everyone is training in ground technique.  The gracie family is small but I bet Rickson, Royce, Renzo, Reylor,Rorian and the rest are great fighters never backing down from the world's best.  If they lose a fight it's not a knock against the family.  Rorian Gracie let the ground fighting secret out of the bag with UFC 1.  Now they are being put down for losing fights.  I don't get it.   

Highspeed

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2006, 06:42:13 PM »
Anyone have a link to watch this fight or is it on the net yet????  If so, please post, for all of us cheap bastards to enjoy...  ;)

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2006, 06:59:59 PM »
It was a total bummer seeing that fight.  I know it was a looong shot for Royce, but I still hoped he would pull it off.  Matt dominated and was the better fighter...period.  Not sure why Royce even did this...nothing to prove.

What do you think the payday was ???

Agreed.

Boy, Hughes was just so much stronger.
a