Author Topic: Anyone else watch royce gracie get owned by matt hughes last nite?  (Read 13506 times)

JKDMan

• Getbig IV
  • The G.O.A.T.
Re: Anyone else watch royce gracie get owned by matt hughes last nite?
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2006, 08:23:28 PM »
Give Royce his due.  Huges defeated him using jiu-jitsu techniques.  He clearly broke Royce's arm but he never tapped out.  He never tapped out while he was being punched.  The ref stopped the fight.  Royce soaking wet doesn't weigh over 180.  His striking game is weak but is heart is something no one can challenge.  If it wasn't for Royce everyone would think an average black belt Karate guy was the man.  How many Karate guys had to hide in shame after guys started practicing Jiu-jitsu after seeing Royce?  I know a lot of Karate black belts in my state NJ ran to Royce's cousin Renzo and Craig Kukuk dojo after watching Royce destroy guys in the early days of UFC.  The first day in class they would have their black belt on.  When they were submitted by white belts they would show up for the next class with a white belt on.  

If one thing that mixed martial arts contests have shown.  No one is invincible.  For us to put down Royce shows how shallow some followers of this sport are.  Huges is a great, great fighter.  He also will be defeated in time by the new next great fighter. Royce even said prior to the fight that if he is defeated with a arm bar or a ground fighting technique it will be a tribute to his family.  
Absolutely great post, brother.
Lee

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2006, 09:36:49 PM »
The link for the fight as posted earlier:
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/huges%20vs%20gracie%20ufc%2060/video/205444

Just looked like Hughes overpowered him, and was able to counter any moves.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006, 09:57:08 AM »
What kind of drug tests are they using in the UFC?  Hughes looked jacked up...
w

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2006, 10:05:32 AM »
hughes would'nt look that big standing next to you..

and old timer's post was where it's at...

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2006, 10:17:12 AM »
The guy is 5'9" and super lean at 175.  His delts/triceps looked dense and big.  I could be wrong, but he looks "geared up"...

w

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2006, 10:21:30 AM »
hate to hear what people would say about ME if THAT's geared up!

he's kinda a scrawn...woudln't you see a difference in his size over time if he was using?   ???  he had to have been a stick before if he's juicing for fights NOW

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2006, 10:25:11 AM »
It's not becasue of his size.  Gear does much more than give you size.  It also gives you a hard/dense look.  Pure speculation on my part...

...now Royce, clearly not on gear.
w

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2006, 10:32:08 AM »
gracie looks like he needs to raid the fridge a little more often..  :-\

you're right though hughes does look hard as nails though

Highspeed

• Getbig II
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2006, 10:46:12 AM »
Pumpster, thanks for the link, looks like Royce wasn't even ready for this fight...It is orobably true, the sport has surpassed his time, he was GREAT when it first came about, but everyone has learned a different style of fighting and Gracie was stuck in the past.....

torquemada

• Getbig IV
  • Billycarp ruled...
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2006, 01:52:05 PM »
Hughes is a true genetic freak.  He probably is clean (IMHO).  He has an identical twin who supposedly doesn't work out anymore and has nearly the same physique. 

BTW, Gracie says that he's disappointed in his showing and will fight again before '06 is up...

origintiger

• Getbig II
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2006, 02:16:48 PM »
well thats cool, wonder who he would be matched up against?  An old rival or some one new (to him) again

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2006, 06:25:52 PM »
Hughes has been doing manual labour his whole life, and he does lift weights (good diet + supplements).  His physique isn't anything that can't be done naturally.  He is just a wrestler, and as such has the big traps that go along with that sport.

To those that are saying he won in large part due to the strength advantage...  He won because he's a much better overall fighter (not even in the same league) than Gracie.  He is much better trained and Hughes has evolved with the sport.  No other "excuses" are needed, Gracie is a dinosaur and he should have stuck in the 90's where he belonged.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2006, 04:36:52 AM »
anyone would look geared up standin next to royce

this fight simply should not have been made

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2006, 05:35:15 AM »
i think hughes is great and waxed royces ass,no excuse from me,BUT for me to really see hughes as the best in that weight class he needs to beat bj penn in a rematch,im sure some will agree
R

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2006, 07:27:59 AM »
looks like Royce wasn't even ready for this fight...It is orobably true, the sport has surpassed his time, he was GREAT when it first came about
That pic says alot: Gracie doesn't even look into it.

Probably came back for the payday, knowing that he couldn't bring the same level anymore.

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2006, 08:00:38 AM »
also alot of people keep saying bjj stinks and this and that but thats not true,this is mma not wrestling,not bjj,not boxing,not thia but a blend of all of them,do yous really think if mat never crossed trained in bjj,boxing,thia boxing ect that he would be the dominent champ he is today,i highly doubt it.if that was the case then randy would have owned chuck in the last 2 times they fought cause randy is clearly the better wrestler,10 years ago mattered,we all seen coleman dominate by using mostly wrestling,we saw royce win using 90 percent bjj and it was clear back then if you had a great ground n pound or good bjj or any other very good art that used ground techniques and throws such as judo you could go far.times have changed and that just wont cut it anymore,i cant believe some of the threads im reading on the other mma sites talking about how mat hughes proved wrestling is better then bjj,its nonsense,you must know alittle of everything,jeremy horn is a great submission fighter with average wrestling skills,yet you see hughes spending hours on end training with jeremy,its obvious hughes aint working with horn to sharpen his wrestling,hes working on his technique in submissions and submission defense,mat even when he trains wrestling he goes to places that just wrestle,like training with the iowa state wrestling team,thanks for reading
R

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2006, 04:17:01 PM »
Royce comes and says he´s going to win by submission, and not punish the guy so much, "cause that not my style". Thats a wacko thing to say before a match. I knew he was going to lose then. He should train muay thai only, 7 days a week, 3 times 2 hours aday. He should not roll at this point, lol.
MIRAGETROPIN

torquemada

• Getbig IV
  • Billycarp ruled...
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2006, 06:05:18 PM »
also alot of people keep saying bjj stinks and this and that but thats not true,this is mma not wrestling,not bjj,not boxing,not thia but a blend of all of them,do yous really think if mat never crossed trained in bjj,boxing,thia boxing ect that he would be the dominent champ he is today,i highly doubt it.if that was the case then randy would have owned chuck in the last 2 times they fought cause randy is clearly the better wrestler,10 years ago mattered,we all seen coleman dominate by using mostly wrestling,we saw royce win using 90 percent bjj and it was clear back then if you had a great ground n pound or good bjj or any other very good art that used ground techniques and throws such as judo you could go far.times have changed and that just wont cut it anymore,i cant believe some of the threads im reading on the other mma sites talking about how mat hughes proved wrestling is better then bjj,its nonsense,you must know alittle of everything,jeremy horn is a great submission fighter with average wrestling skills,yet you see hughes spending hours on end training with jeremy,its obvious hughes aint working with horn to sharpen his wrestling,hes working on his technique in submissions and submission defense,mat even when he trains wrestling he goes to places that just wrestle,like training with the iowa state wrestling team,thanks for reading

Good post; it's the well rounded fighter who dominates today...

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2006, 09:21:57 PM »
The guy is 5'9" and super lean at 175.  His delts/triceps looked dense and big.  I could be wrong, but he looks "geared up"...

Dense and big? I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

It sounds like you're hating on Hughes. Do you have something against him?

Hughes is the man, he's the king of that division. Sounds like you only begrudgingly admit how good Hughes is.

getfast81

• Getbig III
  • Borat is for the weak................
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2006, 08:51:18 AM »
I have gotten back into MMA recently over the last year or so and Matt Hughes is just the most balanced fighter I have ever seen.  To damn strong, great on the mat, getting better and better with subs and striking.  Just dominant.  What else can he do at the welterweight level?  Gracie on the other hand can still be competitive but the game in a sense has passed him by IMO.
Truly STOP WHINING

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2006, 10:21:54 AM »
Hughes should've kept punching Gracie in the head even after the ref stopped the fight, everyone knows Gracie never respected tap outs by his opponents and kept chocking or breaking even after the fight was stopped. Gracie deserved to be humilated a bit. Hughes is the man.

origintiger

• Getbig II
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2006, 11:23:39 AM »
 :o  ................... ;D  Thats right too!

NPCOK

• Getbig II
« Reply #47 on: May 31, 2006, 02:58:42 PM »
I was very surprised at the outcome....and lost some money :-\

Royce should at least take some comfort in the fact that if it were not for him and his family...Matt would not be the fighter he is today..nor would many others. (Since the Gracies brought BJJ to America)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2006, 04:30:44 PM »
Dense and big? I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

It sounds like you're hating on Hughes. Do you have something against him?

Hughes is the man, he's the king of that division. Sounds like you only begrudgingly admit how good Hughes is.

Dude get real..."hating on him" ::) I don't know the guy.  I've said nothing against him personally.  So no I'm not "hating".  Clearly he is at the top of his game and a dominating fighter in his class.  He is as well rounded as they come.  However, we all have our favorties that we root for, and for me Matt is not one of them.  I'm very much looking forward to the rematch with GSP.  Both have improved big time since their last encounter.  It should be an awesome fight... 
w

IronGame

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2006, 04:31:51 PM »
People here don't want to hear it, but Royce has been way over-rated from the start.  There are plenty of guys in Brazil that would have owned him then and now. That is a fact.

Yes, Rorion brought jiu-jitsu here (actually he was not the first Gracie here, it was Carly). But he was by far and away, the best promoter. It wasn't for any noble cause, it was to make a living (a very good one).

white belt for life