Author Topic: Red Wine  (Read 11114 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Red Wine
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2006, 02:28:38 AM »

Chile has some great reds.
Looks yummy  :P

the concha y toro house (where the casillero del diablo is from) is one of the best... they produce very palpable and inexpensive wines... many of them are far superior to Californians at half the price....

i have 4 bottles of that exact wine in my rack right now...

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2006, 10:29:45 AM »
Just eat grapes instead.  Same health benefits without the alcohol (but not as much fun). 

"One of the biggest discoveries in nutritional science is the identification of resveratrol, the active ingredient in red wine. This compound has been shown to dramatically increase the rate at which cells metabolize fat."

"Resveratrol comes from the skin of grapes but since it oxidizes quickly (losing its metabolic effect in the process) fresh grapes and white wine are less effective sources. Red wine is a unique source of resveratrol as it retains the same amount of as was in the grape at the time of fermentation."

http://www.ast-ss.com/articles/article.asp?AID=263

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2006, 06:40:23 AM »
the new girlfriend loves red wine too... adds a little bit of fuel to the fire too...  ;D

suckmymuscle

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2006, 05:49:59 PM »
I read about this study in MD.  It showed that drinking 450ml (just about 2 cups) of red wine per day caused no increase in abdominal fat or body weight...  Anyway, the benefits of red wine on the circulatory system are well documented and I have started drinking some regularly...

Right now I am having about 375ml per day (half a bottle).... i totally love the obvious relaxing effect, and see very little wrong with this, I mean most of Europe does the same thing....

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone else regularly consumes red wine?  Others have stated that it might speed recovery and boost testosterone levels.

All I know is that it makes the evenings groovy.

Discuss?

If you're male, anything that contains alcohol can be immediately considered negative, as far as bodybuilding goes. Why? Because it decreases testosterone and increases it's conversion to oestrogens, like estradiol. Red wine has many benefits for average people, but bodybuilders are better advised to skip it altogether. Regards. :)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2006, 06:06:32 PM »
I agree. Even one alcoholic drink makes me feel tired and dehydrated. Any antioxidant benefit from red wine can be matched with consuming fresh grapes or berries. Plus, wine is for fags. Real men do shots of Bacardi 151.

dovidov

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2006, 06:47:33 PM »
definetely my drink of choice - Guinness is a close second!!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2006, 04:07:55 PM »
I agree. Even one alcoholic drink makes me feel tired and dehydrated. Any antioxidant benefit from red wine can be matched with consuming fresh grapes or berries. Plus, wine is for fags. Real men do shots of Bacardi 151.

...you are obviously a highly intelligent person....  :-X .... anyway, Arnold used to drink a beer or two a day

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 12, 2006, 04:25:59 AM »
Yesssssss i drink one or two glasses of wine per day, good stuff.

Madam X

• Getbig II
  • The Madam is Watching You
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2006, 05:22:17 AM »
Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.
Celebrate pain.

triple_h

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2006, 11:39:25 AM »
i use to have 2 glasses of red wine  on wkends and next day have head aches .. so quit!

CC3

• Getbig II
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2006, 01:34:40 PM »
What beneficial compounds?  Hard to believe grapes become healthier by spoiling. 

It's not "spoiling", it's "fermenting".  Completely different.  And, yes, there are specific, healthy compounds produced in the fermenting process that are not found in grapes.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2006, 10:18:52 PM »
It's not "spoiling", it's "fermenting".  Completely different.  And, yes, there are specific, healthy compounds produced in the fermenting process that are not found in grapes.

What's the complete difference between spoiling and fermenting? 

What healthy compounds are produced when fermenting grapes that are no found in unfermented grapes? 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2006, 07:38:05 AM »
What's the complete difference between spoiling and fermenting? 

What healthy compounds are produced when fermenting grapes that are no found in unfermented grapes? 

catechins...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2006, 09:01:42 PM »
catechins...

:-\

Red wine catechins are extracted from the skin of red wine grapes. The most active red wine catechin is resveratrol, a compound the grape plant manufactures in the skin of the fruit to deter gray mold. Although red wine catechins are found in purple grape juice and red wine, resveratrol is most abundant in immature grapes (which are more susceptible to mold) and in grapes grown in damp climates, especially on Long Island in New York.

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_grape.htm

efirkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2006, 01:46:15 PM »
OK red wine is good for you.  Can anyone recommend a good red wine for those of us with no knowlege of good wines?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2006, 02:18:37 PM »
OK red wine is good for you.  Can anyone recommend a good red wine for those of us with no knowlege of good wines?

It's been awhile since wine snobbing  ;) but right off the top of my head, Yellow Tail is pretty basic and VERY inexpensive.
:

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2006, 02:23:01 PM »
yellow tail = gaurunteed headache for me. even if i smell it.
bodybuildersreality.com

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2006, 06:53:13 PM »
yellow tail = gaurunteed headache for me. even if i smell it.

awwww
sorry to hear that  :-[

How 'bout Coppola, Rabbit Ridge, Fetzer  :P
Just suggesting inexpensive, basic, middle of the road, easy to find stuff
:

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2006, 07:07:32 PM »
my dad makes wine and i drink it.

krazee

• Getbig III
  • It's all about the next shirt size....
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2006, 03:30:55 AM »
Wolfblass has some great reds and for those of you to remember the reason to drink wine as opposed to beer...my personal fav...Fat Bastard...another great red. If you can get your hands on any red from Ontario, Canada you will not be sorry...but I'm a tad bit biast because I live here.
Just spot me BITCH!!!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2006, 06:30:31 AM »
i'm not a huge wine drinker but the Yellow Tail Shiraz is very good...

8)

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2006, 02:29:50 AM »
I read about this study in MD.  It showed that drinking 450ml (just about 2 cups) of red wine per day caused no increase in abdominal fat or body weight...  Anyway, the benefits of red wine on the circulatory system are well documented and I have started drinking some regularly...

Right now I am having about 375ml per day (half a bottle).... i totally love the obvious relaxing effect, and see very little wrong with this, I mean most of Europe does the same thing....

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone else regularly consumes red wine?  Others have stated that it might speed recovery and boost testosterone levels.

All I know is that it makes the evenings groovy.

Discuss?
Yes I drink Red wine, as a good portuguese (and we have the best red wine in the world "Vinho do Porto" (Oporto Wine))! It has a good relaxing effect and I never see any increase in Bodyfat, different from beer in this case, but it does not boost testosterone. It can unbalance test production at your favour if you are not an athlete, and you have pretty basic test production. What I really find interesting is that it reduces muscle soreness in a 24 hours period. I've read some studies about this, some say that it can reduce inflammation due to trainning erosion, and others say that it acts mostly on the nervous central system! Every weekend I drink 1500 ml!
S