Author Topic: Scoreboards at competitions  (Read 4409 times)

thisiskeith12

Scoreboards at competitions
« on: May 31, 2006, 04:38:52 PM »
Why are there no scoreboards at competitions? This would allow people to see who is actually in the lead throughout the contest.

thisiskeith12

Re: Scoreboard
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 04:42:55 PM »
I can't think of any other sport or competitions that DON'T have one other than bodybuilding!

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Scoreboards at competitions
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 05:23:05 PM »

Because perhaps one they did have one at the last Olympia or the one before that, everyone complained  that it took the suspense off at the evening show.

Stavios

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 05:25:01 PM »
Because perhaps one they did have one at the last Olympia or the one before that, everyone complained  that it took the suspense off at the evening show.

Ron what are your toughts on the Mr.Getbig contest ?

thisiskeith12

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 05:27:43 PM »

How is that possible? Would you play a baseball game without a scoreboard?! Would baseball have more suspense without a scoreboard?! With it being so close between Ronnie and Jay, if it's updated promptly, fans could voice their approval or disapproval in the moment, rather than much later on message boards. Plus it would be nice to have some stats on your favorite bodybuilder at the show. I don't see where the complaints could be.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 05:30:47 PM »
That would make it tougher for the powers-that-be to rig contests to their liking, which is why you will never see it happen.

Yeah, that is part of it. Other than that, why enter the 20th century with a scoreborad. F**k, continue to do everything ass backwards......an IFBB tradition.

As far as suspense goes, this is bodybuilding. There is no suspense. Live scoring would be great.
HAHA, RON.....

thisiskeith12

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 05:35:31 PM »
Live scoring would be great.

Who complained?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 05:36:08 PM »
you mean all ten people that were present?  there's suspense at the olympia?

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 05:37:28 PM »
you mean all ten people that were present?  there's suspense at the olympia?

It's hard to create suspense when the same guy wins the show whether he deserves it or not............
HAHA, RON.....

thisiskeith12

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 05:49:13 PM »
It's hard to create suspense when the same guy wins the show whether he deserves it or not............

I don't see where people would complain about live score updates.

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 06:03:44 PM »

Who knows why exactly, maybe tradition in this  crazy ,sometimes disfunctional sport.
Look at figure skating or diving they have various rounds and openly post the scores as the atheltes go thru the various rounds. Funny how in bodybuilding  for the amatuers at least the most visible round (the night show psoing routines) is one thing that does not count ...go figure.

What also cracks me up is how folks ask me how we judges give points for various things. I have to explain to them their are actual points for poses, the numbers are only your overall PLACEMENT from each judge on the panel, the high and low placements are thrown out and they add up the rest, low score wins.

This along with hiding the scores until well after the show is over , contributes to more crazy judging conspracy theories.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 06:05:31 PM »
this is a fashion show for naked men.... of course some drama queen is gonna go ape...

thisiskeith12

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 06:06:21 PM »
Who knows why exactly, maybe tradition in this  crazy ,sometimes disfunctional sport.
Look at figure skating or diving they have various rounds and openly post the scores as the atheltes go thru the various rounds. Funny how in bodybuilding  for the amatuers at least the most visible round (the night show psoing routines) is one thing that does not count ...go figure.

What also cracks me up is how folks ask me how we judges give points for various things. I have to explain to them their are actual points for poses, the numbers are only your overall PLACEMENT from each judge on the panel, the high and low placements are thrown out and they add up the rest, low score wins.

This along with hiding the scores until well after the show is over , contributes to more crazy judging conspracy theories.

Well said Howie, thanks for speaking up!

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 06:30:01 PM »
Well said Howie, thanks for speaking up!

Thanks I love bodybuilding but stopped taking it very serious when the sport does  everything to avoid looking legit. What causes this?
1. The scoring is not open and most are clueless about how the actual judges score a meet.

2. Because of #1, all kinds of myths and theories are started kinda like the Roswell crash ::)

3. The night show rounds are not scored in any amatuer event and the IFBB pro rep Chic admits they are not really scored in an bjective manner.

4. Uncontrolled , extreme drug use is another key factor. In brief, most other major sports  have fans that do NOT aprove of drugs and look at the use of them as bad for the sport. Case in point: baseball and Bonds.
In bodybuildinh the fans look at drug use as a GOOD thing and complain about any law or effort ot stop top bodybuilders from useing them. Natural shows are considered 2nd rate and we even have Natural/TESTED and NON tested.\ drug user events.Many fans and bodybuilders seem to feel that roids and bodybuilding are one in the same.

5. The movie John Q with Danzel showed that pro bodybuiding could  be seen in a positive light with a possible mainstream fan base just like any other sport. However, by allowing the "we love freaks" crowd to dictate policy and standards the sport is doomed to branch out and really grow.A freak show gets 15 sec of shock value fame and that is about it.

6. NO TV time or coverage in recent years = death to any real $$ and sponsers.
Consider that skeet shooting, ice curling and bowling , blow bodybuilding away in terms of recent media coverage...never mind poker which is people sitting , yup SITTING there  plaing cards. That to me is about as exciting as watching somebody take a test or read a book, but they figured out how to market it, and now have a HUGE fan base.

Howard

thisiskeith12

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 06:59:19 PM »
If the PDI institutes this, they could definitely get some props and support.

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 07:43:37 PM »
Did anybody see (or read) the dunk contest this year?  That is what would happen when they would try to get the "scores" settled.

Here is the link to the article and a paragraph from it...
 http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/lang_whitaker/02/20/links/index.html

"The most egregious moment came after Iguodala and Robinson had completed their final dunks, when the judges -- Kenny Smith, Moses Malone, Rudy Tomjanovich, Clyde Drexler and Elvin Hayes -- conferred amongst themselves and awarded Iguodala a score that just happened to tie the event and send it into a dunk-off. The scores from the judges went up, came down, were shuffled around and then reposted, announcing a tie. I don't know about you, but the last thing I wanted to see on Saturday night was those five guys at a table trying to solve a complicated math problem and ensuring a tie score."
Motherboy (the band).

thisiskeith12

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 07:47:06 PM »
Did anybody see (or read) the dunk contest this year?  That is what would happen when they would try to get the "scores" settled.

Here is the link to the article and a paragraph from it...
 http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/lang_whitaker/02/20/links/index.html

"The most egregious moment came after Iguodala and Robinson had completed their final dunks, when the judges -- Kenny Smith, Moses Malone, Rudy Tomjanovich, Clyde Drexler and Elvin Hayes -- conferred amongst themselves and awarded Iguodala a score that just happened to tie the event and send it into a dunk-off. The scores from the judges went up, came down, were shuffled around and then reposted, announcing a tie. I don't know about you, but the last thing I wanted to see on Saturday night was those five guys at a table trying to solve a complicated math problem and ensuring a tie score."

How was the suspense?

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 07:49:25 PM »
How was the suspense?

Killed by fixed judging - but that would never happen in the IFBB  :D
Motherboy (the band).

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2006, 07:53:42 PM »
Killed by fixed judging - but that would never happen in the IFBB  :D

I doubt it s a real, complaicted conspiracy fixing plan, more like the same judges vote for the same guy without much serious critical thought, seriously.I think it is that simple.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2006, 09:52:09 PM »

Ron, I am rolling on the floor.  I love it!  Suspense off at the evening show.  I swear that made me laugh so hard, my belly is hurting.  Suspense!  Oh my that was awesome!

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 09:54:00 PM »
Ron, I am rolling on the floor.  I love it!  Suspense off at the evening show.  I swear that made me laugh so hard, my belly is hurting.  Suspense!  Oh my that was awesome!

That's what I said. What suspense? It's bodybuilding. There is NOTHING exciting about it. Sorry, but it's the truth.
HAHA, RON.....

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 09:57:43 PM »
LOL.  suspense over the results of an olympia show?   ::)

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 10:07:28 PM »
LOL.  suspense over the results of an olympia show?   ::)

"And now, in second place................... ...................Jay Cutler"

(crowd of 100 people who attended boos)

"And for the 20th year in a row, I present to you, your Mr. Olympia......Ronnie Coleman!"

(Coleman hits the floor, gets up a few seconds later, and makes his way to the podium where he will enlighten the audience with on eof his great speeches)

"I jus wanna sey, tank yu jeesus. dis is jeesus plan. he got da plan fore evrybody. giff him a try. jeesus make me da bes bodybilda in da wold. now i go to titty club an celybrate ma victary. dey's got too fo' won lap dance rite now fo' da nex houwa."
HAHA, RON.....

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 10:11:37 PM »

"And for the 20th year in a row, I present to you, your Mr. Olympia......Ronnie Coleman!"

(Coleman hits the floor, gets up a few seconds later, and makes his way to the podium where he will enlighten the audience with on eof his great speeches)

"I jus wanna sey, tank yu jeesus. dis is jeesus plan. he got da plan fore evrybody. giff him a try. jeesus make me da bes bodybilda in da wold. now i go to titty club an celybrate ma victary. dey's got too fo' won lap dance rite now fo' da nex houwa."

out of the crowd of 100, 80 were old queens

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 12:31:16 AM »

Man Gord you had me rolling on this one.