Author Topic: Dennis Tinerino  (Read 6635 times)

Hypertrophy

• Getbig V
Dennis Tinerino
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:59:34 AM »
Any of the old timers got any stories about Dennis? From the photos I used to see of him, he looked huge, but never seemed to get that much press. When he was young, he looked as impressive as  Arnold.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Re: Dennis Tinerino
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 12:21:01 PM »
I saw Dennis all the time at Worlds.  I don't I ever talked to him once.  But I did here him and watch him.  The only thing I remember him doing was one day he mad or something at the weights and he kicked them like a little kid would.  Thats about it.  Other than that I really didn't pay attention.  Greg Deferro was another one that I just didn't talk too.  And he seemed mean to me.  He hardly eevr smiled and just looked mad all the time.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 03:25:45 PM »
My friend told me a story about how years ago Dennis was in San Diego promoting his book or something at the old Family fitness location on Balboa.

My friend asked him one question about a particular chest movement & Dennis replied "buy my book".  At that point my friend decided not too...he felt the question was pretty simple & could have been simply answered with a yes or no.

Although he admired his bodybuilding achievements...he felt his personality....or at least that day was a big 0.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 05:36:48 PM »
Dennis was touted as a drug-free bodybuilder in the Weider mags in the late 70's-early 80's.  Steve Davis was also said to be drug-free, which I could believe because well, look at the guy.

Rick Wayne once referred to Steve as a "lion attempting to imitate a gazelle" in reference to his going for the ripped, symmetrical Zane-like look over attaining the mass he should have carried on his frame to be competitive.

But Dennis, drug-free?  Anyone "in the know" care to comment on this?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 06:45:23 PM »
I won't believe anyone is drug free that compete's as a pro in the IFBB.

Even if it was 30 years ago.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 06:57:05 PM »
Last I heard Tinerino got religion years ago and was a bible thumper. He did get ordained in some christian group. Steve Davis would have the ideal body for the average man who didn't want to get "real" big. He did have a good frame that could carry an easy 30lbs more of pure muscle mass. He ran a gym in the north west valley around the Magic Mountain area. He's another guy who did 20+ SS's just about every body part with light weights. Main reason he was not huge.  Influenced early on by Vince Gironda. Davis was also one of the early test subjects of Rheo Blairs (real name..Irv Johnson I believe) protein and other products. Lost about 50-60lbs or so on the stuff and really leaned out. All in all, I always thought he had great lines and balance. Could have been right up there if he really wanted to. Settled for the lean, gaunt look.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 07:43:58 PM »
Tinnerino was never all natural until late in his career,when he won Chet Yortons Natural Mr. America Contest.

If he truly was,only he really knows,but I would say hell no to earlier in his IFBB career.......was anybody ?

He had a great physique but I think his early AAU career was the cause of Weider not giving him too much press inj the Weider mags..he won just about every title any organization had to offer except the Olympia.

pkaz

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 09:48:10 PM »
Last I heard Tinerino got religion years ago and was a bible thumper. He did get ordained in some christian group. Steve Davis would have the ideal body for the average man who didn't want to get "real" big. He did have a good frame that could carry an easy 30lbs more of pure muscle mass. He ran a gym in the north west valley around the Magic Mountain area. He's another guy who did 20+ SS's just about every body part with light weights. Main reason he was not huge.  Influenced early on by Vince Gironda. Davis was also one of the early test subjects of Rheo Blairs (real name..Irv Johnson I believe) protein and other products. Lost about 50-60lbs or so on the stuff and really leaned out. All in all, I always thought he had great lines and balance. Could have been right up there if he really wanted to. Settled for the lean, gaunt look.

I trained with Steve in 1981 at World Gym, Santa Monica, when he was training for the Mr Olympia. We trained hard, relatively light and with many sets. Although he placed 14th, he look great for 1981. Nice guy too...