Author Topic: Fasting for a week? Crazy?  (Read 6560 times)

jameswdmb

• Getbig II
Fasting for a week? Crazy?
« on: June 02, 2006, 06:51:01 PM »
  I was wondering if anyone here has fasted for an extended period of time (7+ days, water only).
Ever heard of any pro's doing this?
If you have what were your experiences?
how long did you fast for?
how did it affect your lifting?
how did it affect your  cardio?
how much mass did you lose?
how much fat did you lose?
ect.........

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: Fasting for a week? Crazy?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 06:55:04 PM »
Frank Zane and some of the others would do mini fasts throughout the day sometimes to change things up.  They would go as long as they could without eating between meals at times.

Not a good idea.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 06:57:44 PM »
not a good idea

jameswdmb

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 06:59:31 PM »
Not doing it for physical health reasons.... have my spiritual reasons....just wanted some info on what to expect

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 07:07:18 PM »
you will lose fat and muscle in even amounts, not a good trade off. Your metabolism will slow down and your energy levels will plummet. There may be some medical benefits to fasting but 7 days straight is too much. Also, you need salt, vitamins and minerals.

I've gone 3 weeks without eating (not by choice) and I can tell you it's not fun. You reach a point where the hunger goes away but you're never clear headed and you get bouts of dizziness.

It's taught me not to be wasteful with food and take it for granted.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 07:14:34 PM »
Not doing it for physical health reasons.... have my spiritual reasons....just wanted some info on what to expect

Your god Does not Exist. Don`t waste your time.

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 07:29:13 PM »
I've gone 3 weeks without eating (not by choice) and I can tell you it's not fun.

May I ask why?
Ron Paul 2012

jameswdmb

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 07:46:01 PM »

Whether you believe in god or not is your preference, i am not on here to judge you for beliefs but to give you some of my reasoning for it :

Fasting is a biblical way to truly humble yourself in the sight of God (Psalm 35:13; Ezra 8:21). King David said, "I humble myself through fasting."

Fasting was an expected discipline in both the Old and New Testament eras. For example, Moses fasted at least two recorded forty-day periods. Jesus fasted 40 days and Fasting is Assumed by the New Testament: When Jesus spoke about fasting, he didn't say if you fast, but "when you fast" (Matthew 6:16). Our Lord assumes that Christians will fast. And from the rest of the books in the New Testament we know that they did.

slayer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 08:04:40 PM »
i did 15 day water fasts and 21 day juice fasts in the past!

you should lose about 3/4 of a lb  aday unless you add 1 hr jogs like a i did, so i lost a lb of fat a day(on the waterfast)!
1 lb = 3500 calories, my body burns about 2200 to 2400 aday just from being alive...

ive kept my weight in check , so i hopefully never have to go through that again(the water fast)

juice fast isnt hard at all in my opinion!

doing a water fast really brings to light what many people have and had to go through being a pow !

jameswdmb

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 09:01:06 PM »
did you work out at all or do cardio while on the water only fast?.....if so how much?

slayer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 09:06:09 PM »
did you work out at all or do cardio while on the water only fast?.....if so how much?
up to day 5 on the water fast i was able to do my full workout and push the same weight, by day 6  the weakness set in and i switched to just cardio!

15 days is nuts and some peple do 30 days and up to try and cure diseases...

youll be dying by day 3 so youll see what i mean...

slayer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 09:10:52 PM »
get a book on fasting before you do it , or at least read some articles on the net, also many exsperts advise trying a juice fast first to ease your way in to a water fast....
fresh juice(not canned or bottled on a store shelf) has all the vitamins, minerals and enzymes you need

some suggest 5 days on juice  2 days water and so on...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 09:33:32 PM »
Strange that members of an otherwise totally rational culture would do something crazy like fasting.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 09:54:29 PM »
  I was wondering if anyone here has fasted for an extended period of time (7+ days, water only).
Ever heard of any pro's doing this?
If you have what were your experiences?
how long did you fast for?
how did it affect your lifting?
how did it affect your  cardio?
how much mass did you lose?
how much fat did you lose?
ect.........

Fasting for a week = muscle suicide.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 10:49:00 PM »
I did a watermelon fast for 2days(kidneys) and then 3 more days of just water and the did a liver--gallbladder flush...So basically 5 days of fasting however for the first 2 days, i ate about 30 pounds of water melon...So f king bloated and lived on the toilet....

About 3 days after doing all this and my a-hole starting to lose its soreness, I never felt better in my life...

When fasting for a long period of time, your body gets rid of alot of toxins(mostly what we keep putting back into our bodies thru eating)

I think everyone should do a 5 day fast atleast once a year.....

Wombat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 10:57:52 PM »
  Fasting for a week = muscle suicide.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

not at all...thats the problem with us bodybuilders, we live everyday mirror to mirror---while being in a state where your muscle is weak and completely flat for a week doesn't mean you lose much of it...The rebond afterward more then makes up for any mind game your body plays with you without food...Well worth it...

After my fast and flush, the whites of my eyes were never so white in my life...skin looked and felt much better...Just an overall feeling of well being...Although 3 weeks later i f cked all that up with a 3 day drinking binge but atleast my liver was in better shape going into the binge then would have been without it  :)

Wombat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 10:59:02 PM »

the hallucinations are worth it alone ;)

slayer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 11:01:52 PM »
your body doesnt go after the muscle until all the glycogen an fat are gone for the most part!

after fasting for 15 days i had exactly the same amount of muscle mass left after 1 week of carbing and reloading my protien stores

i used the bod pod before and after to assess these values....

i was at 15% bf at the start , so i had plenty of fat for the body to live off....

actually if you overload in calories for 15 days after your hrmones nearly double thier normal value and you can add several lbs of muscle during that time....
this was called anabolic buurst cycling  in a book written by a swedish research scientist who did in vitro studies on  this....although his studies were dropping you cal. to about 1200 a day for 15 days then  slamming 4000 or more for 15 straight!
this study wasnt based around bodybuilding , but more on how prehistoric man survived famine...

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 11:28:35 PM »

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 11:29:14 PM »

IMO, any "spiritual" belief that requires fasting, which is nothing but harmful to the human constitution, is fuccked up.

::)!!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 11:34:23 PM »
Yes I have eaten "fast" a number of times :-X

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 11:50:32 PM »
Yes I have eaten "fast" a number of times :-X

I hd a mcgriddle for breakfast.  Damn I missed those.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2006, 12:05:52 AM »
not at all...thats the problem with us bodybuilders, we live everyday mirror to mirror---while being in a state where your muscle is weak and completely flat for a week doesn't mean you lose much of it...The rebond afterward more then makes up for any mind game your body plays with you without food...Well worth it...

After my fast and flush, the whites of my eyes were never so white in my life...skin looked and felt much better...Just an overall feeling of well being...Although 3 weeks later i f cked all that up with a 3 day drinking binge but atleast my liver was in better shape going into the binge then would have been without it  :)

Well, if your goal is to dramatically prolong your youth and to live as long as you possibly can, then eating the least amount of calories daily is the way to go. Eating very little dramatically decreases oxidative stress and boosts DNA-repair enzymes. But for increasing muscle size and strengh, starving yourself is stupid. Show me a guy who's become truly huge while eating less than 4 000 calories a day, and you'll be showing me the eigh wonder of the world. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

craig213

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2006, 01:23:51 AM »
If you do fast for fitness reasons vice spiritual, I would suggest an all fruit and veggie fast.  It would be like this:

meal 1:  Eat a bowl of fruits (i.e.: pineapple, apple, strawberry, melon(s), grapes, etc.)
  meal 2:  Green salad (med.)  use apple cider vinegar and Safflower oil for dressing (2tbl spn each)
  meal 3:  Bowl of fruit
  meal 4:  Green salad
  meal 5:  Bowl of fruit

Your supplements can be Amino acids, Colostrum, Multi-vitamin, EFA-CLA complex pill.

During your workout drink Apple Cider vinegar mixed with L-Carnitine and water (you'll reek but who cares)

This is good for fitness as it cleans your colon and stomach of rotten meat, and it fills your body with antioxitdants, AND it's a great way to lose fat while maintaining muscle and energy.

Wombat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2006, 07:50:08 PM »
  Well, if your goal is to dramatically prolong your youth and to live as long as you possibly can, then eating the least amount of calories daily is the way to go. Eating very little dramatically decreases oxidative stress and boosts DNA-repair enzymes. But for increasing muscle size and strengh, starving yourself is stupid. Show me a guy who's become truly huge while eating less than 4 000 calories a day, and you'll be showing me the eigh wonder of the world. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

i hear what your saying...But fasting for a week once a year would for sure do more good then bad even if your goal is to put on muscle through out the year...Just the cleaning out of the body is worth its weight in gold.  Especially if hormones are involved...