Author Topic: Article from June 4, 2006 Las Vegas Sun Journal  (Read 9334 times)

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
Article from June 4, 2006 Las Vegas Sun Journal
« on: June 04, 2006, 10:11:08 AM »
FWIW...

June. 04, 2006
Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

Murder case records detail sordid lives

By GLENN PUIT
REVIEW-JOURNAL

For more than a decade, Craig Titus and Kelly Ryan knew what it was like to be at the pinnacle of fitness and weightlifting competitions.

But as their careers on the national fitness stage wound down, the two at times were living a wild, drug- and sex-fueled lifestyle in Las Vegas, according to police statements and grand jury testimony in the couple's murder case.

For example, according to a police inventory report observed by the Review-Journal, police searched the couple's home in southwest Las Vegas in December and found a videotape depicting "footage of a sexual encounter with Titus, Ryan and an unidentified female."

The report does not indicate that Melissa James -- the couple's personal assistant and the woman who Titus and Ryan are now accused of killing -- is on the tape.

According to police reports obtained by the newspaper, one witness, Gregory E. Ruiz, 28, of Las Vegas, told homicide detectives Titus and Ryan were into an alternative lifestyle.

"They're into swinging," Ruiz said. "They like having girlfriends over."

Ruiz said Titus "used to go tell me all the time" to have sex with Ryan.

"I'm from a straight up family," Ruiz said. "Me and my wife, that's it."

Ruiz told police he went into a clothing line business venture with Titus because Titus was a huge celebrity in the weightlifting world, but he soon realized Titus had a drug problem.

He said he witnessed Titus injecting Oxycontin, a strong and often-abused narcotic pain reliever. Titus didn't seem to care who saw him doing it, he said.

"He wouldn't hide it from nobody, which was really embarrassing.

"He always carries little needles ... and it was the most awfulest thing ever," Ruiz told police.

Titus already has told police he had steroids in his house at the time of his arrest in James' death.

In addition, Ryan's self-described best friend, Megan Michelle Pierson, told police James once told her Ryan was shooting cocaine with a needle.

James believed Ryan "was becoming very addicted to cocaine," Pierson said.

Pierson said she and a friend were planning an intervention for Ryan.

Titus' defense attorney, Richard Schonfeld, would not address individual statements made to police for this story. Ryan's attorney, Tom Pitaro, declined comment. Both defendants have pleaded innocent to the charges.

Schonfeld said, however, that the drug allegations against Titus will be contested.

Schonfeld also said Titus and Ryan were people who dedicated their professional lives to improving their bodies, not polluting them.

"He (Titus) rose to the level of success that other amateur and pro body builders strive for," Schonfeld said.

In addition, Schonfeld said the credibility of several witnesses who gave statements to authorities will come into serious question once the trial unfolds.

"Drug use affects peoples' credibility," Schonfeld said. "There is case law on it."

Titus and Ryan are two of the most recognized figures in their respective sports. Ryan is a 33-year-old past Ms. Fitness America and Ms. Olympia runner-up, and Titus is a 40-year-old past place-winner of international Mr. Olympia competitions.

Clark County prosecutors indicted the married couple in March on charges they kidnapped and murdered James, 28, in December.

Authorities said the couple used a stun gun on James, drugged her with morphine, strangled her and set the remains ablaze in Ryan's Jaguar.

Authorities also indicted a co-defendant, Anthony Gross, on charges he helped dispose of the body.

A motive in the case remains convoluted. Titus and Ryan originally told police they suspected James -- who has an arrest history for identity theft -- was stealing from them and possibly planning to steal their identities.

Ryan even told police she was starting to suspect James was possibly trying to poison her.

The couple later told police they found James dead in their car of a drug overdose, a hypodermic needle in her arm. The couple said they panicked and burned the body, but it wasn't murder.

But in a police report, a detective said Titus confided to him that he was having an affair with James, which Ryan did not know about. Schonfeld has said this is blatantly false.

According to police reports and witness statements, James lived with Titus and Ryan but did not pay rent or receive a salary. Instead, she simply ran errands for them and helped them with other tasks.

In his witness statement given to police, Ruiz said Titus clearly had a serious drug problem.

"That was a big, big thing. Big big thing."

"And everyone would say the same thing about him, what the (expletive) is this guy doing?" Ruiz said.

Ruiz said he never saw Ryan doing drugs, but merely heard accounts from others. He said of her friends: "They wanted to do an intervention."

End story-------------------------------------------

a

JKDMan

• Getbig IV
  • The G.O.A.T.
Re: Article from June 4, 2006 Las Vegas Sun Journal
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 10:24:07 AM »
Schonfeld said, however, that the drug allegations against Titus will be contested.

Schonfeld also said Titus and Ryan were people who dedicated their professional lives to improving their bodies, not polluting them.
Who's he kidding?  ::)
Lee

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 10:38:32 AM »
oh gee   wanted to do an intervention...   LOL
like who wouldnt say that after they've been busted?

bigvster

• Getbig I
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 05:47:57 PM »
[bTwo minutes too late for intervention.  Whoever would have tried to intervene could have been another victim.  Walk across some trouble, just walk on by.[/b]

buffalo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 08:42:54 AM »
FWIW...

June. 04, 2006
Copyright © Las Vegas Review-Journal

Murder case records detail sordid lives

By GLENN PUIT
REVIEW-JOURNAL

He said he witnessed Titus injecting Oxycontin, a strong and often-abused narcotic pain reliever. Titus didn't seem to care who saw him doing it, he said.

"He wouldn't hide it from nobody, which was really embarrassing.

"He always carries little needles ... and it was the most awfulest thing ever," Ruiz told police.

Craig would carry around a little insulin kit full of his needles...he was a drug addict for a long time

shockandawe

• Getbig II
  • Tiny dogs are like tiny food - just more fun
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 08:57:48 AM »
Oh yeah, Buff, I mean, we'd be talking at his apartment and he's just bust out a needle full of Nubain and inject the veins in his hand and then go sleepy, though still lucid.  It was an odd kind of parallel reality. For being someone who has seen a lot in life, I must say, this still took me aback a bit.

Anabolic Outlaw

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 11:04:56 PM »
shockandawe,

Your comments remind me of a time that I speak of in my book:

I usually got my steroids from other bodybuilders. One day I went to a friend's house to pick some up. His training partner was filling a syringe from a spoon. He looked up and said it was a Dilaudid, a painkiller made from Opium. 

I said, "I'm starting to think bodybuilders are some of the biggest drug abusers to ever walk the planet!

The guy looked at me and said, "Are you just starting to find that out?"

This quote is found in Chapter 6 titled: THE ROAD WIDENS http://www.musclemissions.org/public/90.cfm

Jay5683

• Getbig III
  • Keep hope alive Craig
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 02:39:23 PM »
shockandawe,

Your comments remind me of a time that I speak of in my book:

I usually got my steroids from other bodybuilders. One day I went to a friend's house to pick some up. His training partner was filling a syringe from a spoon. He looked up and said it was a Dilaudid, a painkiller made from Opium. 

I said, "I'm starting to think bodybuilders are some of the biggest drug abusers to ever walk the planet!

The guy looked at me and said, "Are you just starting to find that out?"

This quote is found in Chapter 6 titled: THE ROAD WIDENS http://www.musclemissions.org/public/90.cfm

Let me guess your another drug addict turn preacher
fk pigdunkbell

Crazykid909

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 05:57:47 PM »
Crazy seeing the true reality of the bodybuilding world.

Don Miracle

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 08:37:01 PM »
But in a police report, a detective said Titus confided to him that he was having an affair with James, which Ryan did not know about. Schonfeld has said this is blatantly false.

This is a real strange manuever.  It's daring for the defense to begin denying police statements, because it adds another layer of suspectibility to the defense picture.  For whatever reason Shonfeld is making making this move, you can bet there's something deep behind this action.

buffalo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 06:58:13 PM »
Oh yeah, Buff, I mean, we'd be talking at his apartment and he's just bust out a needle full of Nubain and inject the veins in his hand and then go sleepy, though still lucid.  It was an odd kind of parallel reality. For being someone who has seen a lot in life, I must say, this still took me aback a bit.

One time I had dinner with him at the Olympia, and he's fumbling under the table. I'm like "what are you doin dude?" 
He shows me his insulin and his needles in his b;ack leather kit and he smiles real big.  I just roll my eyes and say "Put it away man".  He thought he was hot shit shooting up and all.  To myself and others it was an embarassment.  I never understood that about him

hardest core

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 10:28:19 PM »
And you don't inject Oxycontin.

ramazon

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 10:23:54 AM »
And you don't inject Oxycontin.
You sure about that?  If Oxycontin is Nubain, I believe it can
be injected.  SubQ or IM, I'm not sure which.  Experienced
it once, and it wasn't something I'd do again.[/quote]

shockandawe

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 04:18:58 PM »
Bottom line, everyone, we can quibble about Oxycontin, Nubain, or anything else, and the truth is, they are all synthetic heroin of one sort or another.  Let's just all agree that ingesting or injecting, it doesn't matter... They were addicts.

And like I always have said, You don't have to be sitting, droopy-eyed against a dirty stone wall on a dangerous street, in urine-soaked clothes, to be a full-blown, pathetic addict.  You can have contracts...houses.... bling.... and be f'ing the hottest fitness babes or strippers or $2K/ night hookers, but you're not even half a step removed from the dude on the street. You're exactly the same. You just haven't lost everything yet.

ramazon

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 05:46:56 PM »
Bottom line, everyone, we can quibble about Oxycontin, Nubain, or anything else, and the truth is, they are all synthetic heroin of one sort or another.  Let's just all agree that ingesting or injecting, it doesn't matter... They were addicts.

And like I always have said, You don't have to be sitting, droopy-eyed against a dirty stone wall on a dangerous street, in urine-soaked clothes, to be a full-blown, pathetic addict.  You can have contracts...houses.... bling.... and be f'ing the hottest fitness babes or strippers or $2K/ night hookers, but you're not even half a step removed from the dude on the street. You're exactly the same. You just haven't lost everything yet.
In that case, Shock, we're all in Hell.  Experiencing different degrees of heat.

hifrommike

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 06:11:25 PM »
How long & hard to you have to crash before you burn?  That is the sad story of this once promising bodybuilding power couple.  Very sad.   :-[

shockandawe

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 10:32:25 AM »
You crash as long and hard as it takes. As they say in AA, NA and all other _A's...
IT TAKES WHAT IT TAKES

For some alcoholics and drug addicts, it takes paralysis from a car accident, a fiery crash that takes the lives of an entire family resulting from drunk driving (and having to live with that), or overdose, suicide, or whatever...  It's just different for all of us.

For these two, it apparently took murder.

We'll see...

shockandawe

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 10:42:11 AM »
Ram,
No offense intended with what you shared... no connection there, in fact. I was expressing a moment of frustration about how there is quibbling over unimportant facts:  Drugs are drugs. You are abusing them or you aren't. We've all used them, but when is abuse, abuse? When it is, it is, and there's no way around it.

There's no such thing in this life as a "little bit pregnant"

S'all.  ::)

ramazon

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 10:21:18 PM »
Ram,
No offense intended with what you shared... no connection there, in fact. I was expressing a moment of frustration about how there is quibbling over unimportant facts:  Drugs are drugs. You are abusing them or you aren't. We've all used them, but when is abuse, abuse? When it is, it is, and there's no way around it.

There's no such thing in this life as a "little bit pregnant"

S'all.  ::)
Y'r brilliant, Shock, dah-ling.  You sparkle, shine and SOAR.  I recognize yr writing instantly.  I also wonder about "abuse".  What defines it?  I'm confused.  Is it abuse only if we DON'T want to be using it, and we ARE using it--we can't say "no" to it (sex, drugs, a person, place or thing...and even a particular emotion, like fear or anger?)