Author Topic: Learning Thread *Seventh Day Adventists*  (Read 5024 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Learning Thread *Seventh Day Adventists*
« on: June 04, 2006, 07:30:39 PM »
What belief system should be next?  Let me know what you all think. :)
R

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: Learning Thread *Question*
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 06:29:37 AM »
How about Jehovah Witness or Mormanism?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 10:38:43 AM »
You could go seven day Adventist also....  Between them and Jehovah and Jehovah witnesses there are plenty of interest translations of the Bible.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 11:31:43 AM »
I agree.  I know a little about Adventists. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 11:40:36 AM »
No pork!  They cannot work when it starts to get dark on Friday until Sunday.  Since Sunday is the first day of the week Saturday is the sabath.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 01:03:34 AM »
Their Sabbath observance is based on the Fourth Commandment.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Learning Thread *Seventh Day Adventists*
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 07:04:48 AM »
OK how about we do JW's or Mormons next time and we learn about 7th Day Adventists now?

Beach Bum, (or anyone) would you like to get us started w/an overview please?  Thanks :)
R

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 06:42:37 PM »
They are a "Protestant" religion and have many beliefs and practices that are consistent with "mainstream" Christian religions:  belief in the Trinity, use of the Bible, etc.  Some of the major differences are:

- Their Sabbath.  They keep what many people call "the Jewish Sabbath" from Sunday Friday to sundown Saturday.  This comes from the Fourth Commandment, which in turn comes from the Genesis creation story (rested on the on seventh day, etc.). 

- State of the dead.  They don't believe in ghosts or the "soul" as a separate person.  So, when a person dies, they're done till "Jesus comes."  They also believe that no one is currently burning in hell or that people's "souls" go to heaven when they die. 

- Diet.  They follow the Old Testament guidelines about "clean" vs. "unclean" meats.  I think it's discussed in Leviticus.

Ozmo would probably consider them "literalists" in many respects.   :)   

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 07:12:50 AM »
They are a "Protestant" religion and have many beliefs and practices that are consistent with "mainstream" Christian religions:  belief in the Trinity, use of the Bible, etc.  Some of the major differences are:

- Their Sabbath.  They keep what many people call "the Jewish Sabbath" from Sunday Friday to sundown Saturday.  This comes from the Fourth Commandment, which in turn comes from the Genesis creation story (rested on the on seventh day, etc.). 

- State of the dead.  They don't believe in ghosts or the "soul" as a separate person.  So, when a person dies, they're done till "Jesus comes."  They also believe that no one is currently burning in hell or that people's "souls" go to heaven when they die. 

- Diet.  They follow the Old Testament guidelines about "clean" vs. "unclean" meats.  I think it's discussed in Leviticus.

Ozmo would probably consider them "literalists" in many respects.   :)   

Beach Bum, we have a mailing ministry and sometimes get stuff from 7th Dayer's that are really focused on "keeping the Sabbath" and making sure people know they think the true Sabbath is really (mainly) on Saturday.  Is this a huge deal for all 7th Dayers?  If so, why do you think it is?
R

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 10:34:22 AM »
These threads are just not the same without Johnny Apollo :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 01:15:48 PM »
Beach Bum, we have a mailing ministry and sometimes get stuff from 7th Dayer's that are really focused on "keeping the Sabbath" and making sure people know they think the true Sabbath is really (mainly) on Saturday.  Is this a huge deal for all 7th Dayers?  If so, why do you think it is?

It's a central tenant of Adventism.  They're what some consider "legalists," because they believe in keeping the Ten Commandments, including the Fourth. 

I've done some reading on the history of the Sabbath.  The contemporary view of those who keep the "Christian Sabbath" (Sunday) is that Jesus rose from the dead on Sunday after his crucifixion and that the Christian Sabbath is a celebration of his resurrection.  I've heard Biblical scholars piece together verses in the New Testament that might support this view, but there is no definitive change from the "Jewish Sabbath" to the Christian Sabbath in the New Testament. 

There is evidence that the change of worship days was an attempt by some to distance themselves from Jews who didn't believe Jesus was the messiah.  Also, many believe that the Jewish Sabbath was among the ceremonial laws (like animal sacrifice) that were "nailed to the cross" when Jesus was crucified. 

There is another theory that Rome changed the day of worship to be more consistent with those who engaged in sun worship. 

There are also some writings from the Catholic church where they take credit for establishing Sunday as the day of worship. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 01:20:13 PM »
Interesting, Beach Bum.  Thanks for all this info you are providing!

Sometimes I see a 7th Dayer on TV and he really talks a lot about End Time Bible Prophecy.  Are most 7th Dayers highly interested in this? 

I'm interested in it.  But it seems like several of our Christian friends just don't think about it or don't want to.
R

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 01:23:19 PM »
These threads are just not the same without Johnny Apollo :-\

Yeah.  What's a discussion without a constant barrage of insults and absurd opinions masquerading as facts, supported by numerous internet links he hopes no one will actually read?  

But I do miss the comic relief.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 01:29:58 PM »
Interesting, Beach Bum.  Thanks for all this info you are providing!

Sometimes I see a 7th Dayer on TV and he really talks a lot about End Time Bible Prophecy.  Are most 7th Dayers highly interested in this? 

I'm interested in it.  But it seems like several of our Christian friends just don't think about it or don't want to.

Adventists spend a lot of time on "eschatology" (study of last day events, prophecy, etc.).  The name "Seventh-day Adventists" emphasizes two of the main focuses of the church:  "Seventh-day" highlighting the Saturday Sabbath and "Adventists," which highlights the soon second coming of Jesus.

I agree that many, if not most, Christians don't talk about "last day" events.  The one major exception is the Tim Lahaye (sp?) series of books and movies focused on the "rapture."