Author Topic: GNC Products  (Read 7731 times)

bodybuildingfreak31

• Getbig II
  • "VIVA LA BODYBUILDING"
GNC Products
« on: June 08, 2006, 11:14:43 AM »
I want to know what you all think about GNC supplement products. I use their Mega Man Sport Multivitamins. I just bought some WeightGainer 2200 Gold the other day and I was going to start using it next week when I start weight training.
"Live Hard and Conquer"

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: GNC Products
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 11:27:00 AM »
I want to know what you all think about GNC supplement products. I use their Mega Man Sport Multivitamins. I just bought some WeightGainer 2200 Gold the other day and I was going to start using it next week when I start weight training.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=75221.0

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=75507.0
:

bodybuildingfreak31

• Getbig II
  • "VIVA LA BODYBUILDING"
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 11:59:43 AM »
Thanx for the update I'm pretty new at adding posts to the forem so I didnt realize that there was a thread on already. MY BADHAHAHA!!!!
"Live Hard and Conquer"

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 12:29:26 PM »

Well...you as a NEWBIE should take it from us right now...tear your GoldCard up...bring back the supplements you bought for your refund...then find your supps online or an independent proprietor in your area...it takes a little time and resource but soon enough you will know how to get supps for literally 50% of the price GNC charges.

I knew you were a newbie the split second you mentioned a 'weight gainer'. ALL newbies believe in weight gainers...expierenced veterens of this iron game know...just more high quality real solid foods and focus on compound movements and quality sleep and rest is the way to pack on weight.

I bet you are curious or buy MuscleTech supplements as well, right?
?

bodybuildingfreak31

• Getbig II
  • "VIVA LA BODYBUILDING"
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 02:35:04 PM »
To tell you the truth I have tried Muscle-Tech and when it wasn't producing I stopped using it.
Just recently I was just using a protien shake mix from Muscle Milk and it was doing alright. I thought that I would use a weight gainer w/ the protein shake.

I've used GNC products before and they have produced for me in the past so that is why I am goin back to what I know and know that it will produce.
"Live Hard and Conquer"

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 02:42:30 PM »

Using MegaMass WITH MuscleMilk is a great way to gain 'weight' alright...have at it!

You're better off spending your money on real FOOD. Go grocery shopping. Buy some red meat and potatoes and eggs and brown rice.

Why dont you just use MuscleMilk using WHOLE milk to mix it with...you'd get probably an additional 200 calories and 10-15 grams of protein...then add a little bit of peanutbutter. Stop wasting money!
?

bodybuildingfreak31

• Getbig II
  • "VIVA LA BODYBUILDING"
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 02:59:16 PM »
I have been eating my red meats,chicken,tuna(other fish),and my rice. I'm dedicated to my diet and doing what I'm suppose to be doin, I was just asking for some feed back on what some you "PROS" thought.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to anyone here,I just know there are alot of posers and haters in here that are full of negativity and misinformation. If you are a professional and all I greatly appreciate the feedback.

I'm just a guy thats wanting pursue a lifelong goal of becoming a bodybuilder and I'm just looking for some advice and suggestions.

An added note to all the "HATERS" and "POSERS",kick the "juice" to the curb or even take whatever was stuck up your butt out and be nice for a change.
"Live Hard and Conquer"

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 03:14:16 PM »
I have been eating my red meats,chicken,tuna(other fish),and my rice. I'm dedicated to my diet and doing what I'm suppose to be doin, I was just asking for some feed back on what some you "PROS" thought.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful to anyone here,I just know there are alot of posers and haters in here that are full of negativity and misinformation. If you are a professional and all I greatly appreciate the feedback.

I'm just a guy thats wanting pursue a lifelong goal of becoming a bodybuilder and I'm just looking for some advice and suggestions.

An added note to all the "HATERS" and "POSERS",kick the "juice" to the curb or even take whatever was stuck up your butt out and be nice for a change.

I know how you feel.  It took some getting used to.  There are people here that are more interested in trying to tear people down then in the honest exchange of information.  But as i post more, and get more responses, I find that the majority are just regular guys/gals who love bodybuilding and like sharing their ideas. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 02:39:20 AM »
Well...you as a NEWBIE should take it from us right now...tear your GoldCard up...bring back the supplements you bought for your refund...then find your supps online or an independent proprietor in your area...it takes a little time and resource but soon enough you will know how to get supps for literally 50% of the price GNC charges.

I knew you were a newbie the split second you mentioned a 'weight gainer'. ALL newbies believe in weight gainers...expierenced veterens of this iron game know...just more high quality real solid foods and focus on compound movements and quality sleep and rest is the way to pack on weight.

I bet you are curious or buy MuscleTech supplements as well, right?

Welcome, BF31.

First thing you must know is that not everybody here is as condescending as Blockhead is. "Experienced veterans" know that when it comes to weight gainers, they are just like any other supplement: You have your good ones, your average ones, and your not-so-good ones. They also know that only certain types of people should be using weight gainers, namely young ectomorphs with jack-rabbit metabolisms. If that descrpition doesn't fit you, weight gainers aren't necessary. You'd be better served with a meal-replacement product (MRP).

As far as which gainer to use, I would go with N-Large2 or Mass Fuel, instead of GNC's Weight Gainer 2200; both of those gainers are more protein-dense. Or, simply cut the serving size in half and "spike" it with a scoop of protein powder (GNC's protein, specifically the banana kind, tastes TERRIFIC!!).

Now, if you have a GNC card....KEEP IT!!! GNC, like any other store, has great bargains; it's all a matter of timing. The best time to go, obviously, is the first week of the month. GNC also marks down a number of its products. I shop there frequently and procure great products at great prices, specifically on items like RTDs.

When new products (or upgrades on existing ones) hit the shelves, their predecessors get marked down considerably. Combine that with the 20% discount from the Gold Card, and you can really clean up at GNC. For example, you mentioned MuscleTech, earlier. One of the best bargains I've obtained is on the 7-lb jugs of CELL-TECH. Since MuscleTech changed CELL-TECH's formula, 7-lb. jugs of the old kind have been marked down to as low as $20. Of course, I bought them mid-month, because I knew there was NO WAY they would last until the first of the following month. Another obvious reason to shop there is GNC stores are quite easy to find.

Lastly, brush off the silly comment about your being a "newbie". I've been training for nearly 17 years; yet, I'm still learning new things about building mass and shaping my physique. "Experienced veterans" will tell you that your dietary needs change as you get older and get more training experience under your belt. I no longer use weight gainers, because I'm older and have found that I don't need as many calories to get bigger, anymore. Ten years ago, I LIVED OFF THEM, specifically Super Mega Mass 2000/Giant Mega Mass 4000 and N-Large. I consumed six meals a day: three solid, three liquid. I peaked, calorie-wise, at 6500 calories, half of which came from Mega Mass.

As a famous bodybuilding writer once said, "One type of diet and one type of training cannot and will not produce a championship body." There's a time to consume weight gainer (assuming you are the aforementioned ectomorph type), but even that doesn't last forever. Find out what you need to build your physique and consume the nutrients to get it done.

Eat, Drink, Be Massive, and God Bless.

MCWAY

bodybuildingfreak31

• Getbig II
  • "VIVA LA BODYBUILDING"
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 05:15:46 AM »
Thanx for the great info MCWAY. My biggest problem is that I am in pretty good shape,I mean I have good foundation to build off of,but my metabolism is what is keeping my weight regulated around the 170's-180. So that's why I decided to go with a weight gainer to see if it will help me bulk up a little.

Thanx again for the info bro.
"Live Hard and Conquer"

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 08:18:32 AM »
Thanx for the great info MCWAY. My biggest problem is that I am in pretty good shape,I mean I have good foundation to build off of,but my metabolism is what is keeping my weight regulated around the 170's-180. So that's why I decided to go with a weight gainer to see if it will help me bulk up a little.

Thanx again for the info bro.

You're most welcome. As for your scenario, I've been there and done that. I'll elaborate on what I did a decade ago to get me over 200 lbs. I was in college at the time, and my goal was to break what I deemed to be the mystical 200-lb. barrier. I weighed 189 lbs at the start of the spring semester. Gleaning the info from MuscleMag International, I found that I still was an ectomorph. I read the articles about guys like David Hughes and Mike Francois, who started off modestly sized, only to swell up, courtesy of high-calorie diets and intense training. Since the food quality on campus varied and I needed consistency, I started buying whole eggs, powdered milk, and ground beef, storing the meat and eggs in my roommate's mini-fridge (which almost always froze my eggs).

My meal schedule went something like this:

#1 - Breakfast

#2 - Mega Mass 2000

#3 - Lunch

#4 - Mega Mass 2000

#5 - Dinner

#6 - Mega Mass 2000 (post-workout)

A serving of Mega Mass 2000 for me was 10 oz. of the weight gain powder in water, which yielded 1100 calories (210 g carbs, 55 g protein, 3 grams fat). During the winter months, when it was too cold to get up early for a sub-standard breakfast at the cafeteria, I consumed what I called "Poor Man's MET-Rx", based on an old-school recipe from the Iron Guru, Vince Gironda. This was a shake, consisting of 6 eggs, 2 cups of milk (I initally started with half-n-half, as Gironda suggested but found tha powdered milk was more economical), and one scoop of milk-and-egg protein powder (the Challenge brand that GNC used to sell at "Buy one, get one 50% off" prices).

I bought a food scale to measure my beef, making sure I got a half-pound of cooked hamburger. Those little scales usually come with a booklet that gives the nutritional breakdown of various foods. I used it initially, when I ate in the cafeteria. But, as school got more intense, I got lazy and decided to eat/drink the same foods every day, knowing what their caloric and protein contents were. Quantity-wise, I peaked at 6500 calories, half of which came from the 3 Mega Mass shakes. As I got busier/lazier, I'd say about two-thirds of my calories I drank from Mega Mass and "Poor Man's MET-Rx". Those 5 drinks gave me 300 to 320 grams of protein, depending on the size of eggs used for the blender brew.

The gym where I trained was about a 45-minute bus ride from campus. By the time I got back, I was hungry, even after consuming a Mega Mass shake. That's when I'd consume a half-pound of cooked beef, which I bought fresh from the store and cooked in my roommate's microwave. That started me along my way. In fact, although my goal was to hit 200 lbs. by semester's end, I found that I reached that goal about 6-7 weeks ahead of schedule. So, I decided to see how much more size I could obtain. I ended up at 210 lbs. before summer vacation. That's 21 POUNDS, nearly TWICE as much as I'd hope to gain. Needless to say, I was a happy, bigger, and stronger camper.

Be forewarned. This was NOT easy. There were days where I felt I was going to explode, yet I still had a couple thousand calores left to eat/drink. The strangest part of all was that no matter how bloated I felt going to bed, by the time I woke up, my stomach was RAVENOUS, growling as if I hadn't eaten in days. That woke me up before my alarm clock did. But, it was all worth it, having far exceeded my goals and getting some complements to boot.

Try doing that with six meals: Three solid, three liquid. If that doesn't help, add a fourth shake (this is where RTDs, especially marked down ones from GNC can come in handy). If you can't get those, then go old-school and guzzle a couple of cans of evaporated milk, each of which has 25 grams of protein and 300 to 500 calories, depending on the fat content.

Above all, be consistent. Keep at it with your training and continue to eat/drink the nutrients, until that scale moves, you're piling more plates on the bar, and you're outgrowing your wardrobe.

bodybuildingfreak31

• Getbig II
  • "VIVA LA BODYBUILDING"
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 05:15:45 AM »
Thanx again for the great info MC. You mentioned that you spike your weight gainer with whey, my scoop for the weight gainer is like a 1/2 cup measuring cup and the directions say that I need to use 3 scoops,so my question now is do i 1/2 it and then put in the whey? Or do I put the 3 scoops then put in my whey?
"Live Hard and Conquer"

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 10:44:13 AM »
Thanx again for the great info MC. You mentioned that you spike your weight gainer with whey, my scoop for the weight gainer is like a 1/2 cup measuring cup and the directions say that I need to use 3 scoops,so my question now is do i 1/2 it and then put in the whey? Or do I put the 3 scoops then put in my whey?

If what I've read about GNC's Weight Gainer 2200 is correct, three scoops of powder and 3 cups lowfat milk give the 2200 calories (441 g carbs, 69 g protein, 18 g fat). But, since the 3 cups of milk provide 360 calories (36 g carbs, 24 g protein, and 15 g fat), that means the three scoops of powder yield 1840 calories (405 g carbs, 45 g protein, 3 g fat).

That is, each scoop is 613 calories (135 g carbs, 15 g protein, 1 g fat). This is modest-to-low, protein-wise, for a weight gainer, which is why I recommended N-Large2 or Mass Fuel. If you're going to use GNC's Weight Gainer 2200, I'd recommend your doing so the same way I used Mega Mass 2000: use 2 scoops of powder in water. However, because of the gainer's modest protein content, spike that with a scoop of whey protein powder. The 2 scoops of the gainer, combined with a scoop of whey protein, should give you about 1300 calories (275 g carbs, 52 g protein, 3 grams fat).

Three solid meals plus two servings of your weight gainer (as described, spiked with the whey) should have you on the fast track to putting on some mass. Should you need a boost in calories down the road, add a fourth solid meal or a third liquid meal.

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 03:09:49 PM »
gnc sucks, go somewhere else

JUSTJAXX

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 01:11:57 AM »
i'd have to agree with the suggestion for n-large...the gnc2200 is really high in carbs...which is fine if you really need to raise up your calories without wanting that much protein at a time.  in some cases, thats just necessary.  i normally use n-large myself but am currently using the gnc 2200 gainer but i use one scoop to 2 cups milk or else it just gets too thick and too sweet...this is also the amount of protein/carbs i need for right now.  as soon as i put back some of the weight i lost, i'm getting back on the n-large

here's something thats worked for me in the past...i guess i'm just lazy lately.  even if you've just eaten an hour ago, mix up a quick "shooter" of whey/water and down it.  do this a couple times a day and you'll knock back an extra 45-60 grams a day.

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 05:27:33 PM »
I can walk into any GNC outlet in the province I live in & ask for any non GNC product & the idiot employees will direct me to a GNC product,....go figure lol.Anyway, I have tried their weight gainer, used it to the letter & religiously, w/end result being,...didn't gain a single pound!GNC products just don't work for me I guess so I never bothered trying them again.On the other hand I just loved the Nature's Best brand of products which my region doesn't carry anymore.W/every 5 lb. tub I finished of that stuff I gained 3-4 lbs.!!!

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 07:02:30 PM »
i'll go there in a pinch if i am waiting for a delivery to come in.  Some of the stuff they have isn't bad.  I like the valerian root and other sleep products they have.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 01:08:22 PM »
BF31,

Remember when I mentioned GNC having a lot of RTDs marked down. The stores tend to do that with those made by American Bodybuilding (ABB). One such product is Extreme XXL. It's their version of a RTD weight gainer in a black bottle. It has 1090 calories (220 g carbs, 50g protein, 1 g fat).

I remember getting a bunch of them, marked down to $1 each. Two things to consider. First, the older the product is, the more likely it has congealed and has the consistency of semi-melted toothpaste. Second, with 220 g carbs and it being strawberry-banana flavored (the only kind I've seen on the shelves), it is very, VERY SWEET!!! You may have to cut it with some water, in order to consume it.

bodybuildingfreak31

• Getbig II
  • "VIVA LA BODYBUILDING"
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 03:18:02 PM »
Thanx for the tip. I get paid Friday so I can go and get some then. I also need some creatine. Which brand do anyone here recommend?
"Live Hard and Conquer"

ryanlemley1

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 09:47:15 AM »
i like "real gains" from universal.  not quite a 1000 cals, but it got the job done for me when i was tryin to add weight.  two shakes a day did the trick...anyone else used it before?

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006, 11:49:39 AM »
bbfreak...as others have mentioned get a really good quality Protein and add things like whole milk bananas, berries, Peanut butter which are very good for you.

If you are lean / ectomorphic then go with the serious weight gainers...

Champion Hvyweight Gainer 900, chocolate was awesome but if you put on weight easily then stick to the protein and add your own healthy carbs

Good luck, train hard, and eat well.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 01:38:26 AM »
Thanx for the tip. I get paid Friday so I can go and get some then. I also need some creatine. Which brand do anyone here recommend?

You're welcome, again.

As far as creatine goes, my favorite brand is CELL-TECH. As mentioned earlier, look for 7-lb jugs of the old formula (in the white jugs). GNC often marks them down, sometimes as low as $20. The current formula in the grey jugs will run you about $60. A 7-lb jug will last you a month if you load the first 5 days and take one serving as maintenance, thereafter.

Another creatine supplement I'd recommend is Phosphagen HP. This is the first one I've ever used to do a loading phase. The results: 12 lbs in 21/2 weeks. Of course, that was ten years ago. I've often stated that creatine is the crack of supplements: You get the best results the FIRST time you use it.

If you prefer plain creatine monohydrate powder, I'd go with either Creatine 6000-ES or Prolab's brand of creatine. A510-g bottle of 6000-ES or two 300-g bottles of Prolab's creatine will run you about $18-$25. However, you'll get a free T-Shirt with Prolab (if you get the package that has the two bottles and the T-shirt, shrink-wrapped together).

bodybuildingfreak31

• Getbig II
  • "VIVA LA BODYBUILDING"
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 07:21:50 AM »
I've used Cell-Tech before and I really liked the results,so I might go with that again.

So I think I'm set, I got my weight gainer,my whey,my creatine and my multi. I'll be starting my training this coming Monday so wish me luck and will try to give a progress report every now and then.
"Live Hard and Conquer"

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2006, 07:34:35 AM »
I've used Cell-Tech before and I really liked the results,so I might go with that again.

So I think I'm set, I got my weight gainer,my whey,my creatine and my multi. I'll be starting my training this coming Monday so wish me luck and will try to give a progress report every now and then.

Let's see: You purchased a weight-gain powder and, perhaps, MuscleTech's top creatine product, and a multi-vitamin, all purchased from GNC. That ought to drive BlockHead nuts.

Not that there's anything wrong with that! ;D 

Eat, Drink, Be Massive, and God Bless!!

bodybuildingfreak31

• Getbig II
  • "VIVA LA BODYBUILDING"
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2006, 11:10:57 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
More than likely!!!!! All I gotta say is "DON'T HATE THE PLAYA,HATE THE GAME!!!!!"

In all honesty,I'm just sticking with what I know and adding stuff that I've gathered here,thanx to you MC and a few others and goin to "BRING IT TILL IT HURTS"

Thanx to everyone here that helped me with some good advice.

"Live Hard and Conquer"