Author Topic: protein hell help please  (Read 4356 times)

4thAD

Re: protein hell help please
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2006, 09:30:51 PM »
why would you need a proteinshake after your workout? you'd be better off with a regular meal within one hour or so.

Insulin spike post workout! I do a good solid meal before my workout so my body has something to grind on while lifting then a good post workout shake!

1 serving of protien, 1 serving creatine(with transport system), water! Easy to digest, protien and insulin spike!

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 07:44:58 AM »
why would you need a proteinshake after your workout? you'd be better off with a regular meal within one hour or so.

Actually a shake is better than an actual meal. Being already liquified there is less for the body to break down thus shuttling nutrients and such into the body faster than an actual meal which could take hours to break down.

The principal of nutrient intake after a workout is definitely a must regardless of solid meal or liquid!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 11:15:47 AM »
"All the negative press regarding isoflavones has come from the isolation and concentration of certain compounds. It seems that humans only receive undesired effects from these compounds when they are isolated and placed in large amounts in other foods. The protein soy isolate is a classic example of this. When soy isolates are consumed in large quantities, there can be some very undesired side effects (see my research review on Soy Isolate).

However, soy isoflavones (like all isoflavones) exist in miniscule amounts in whole foods. Consumption of these compounds in naturally occurring amounts (from whole foods) enhances health! The right doses of isoflavones are mainly found in whole soybean products with smaller amounts found in chickpeas, flax and other seeds, barley, and milk products from cows feeding on clover."

http://www.ast-ss.com/articles/article.asp?AID=96

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2006, 01:54:30 AM »

'Comon now.  Let's be real.  Every so often you guys give out advice about things that have no real validity in real life situations.  One minute it's parabens in catsup  ::)  ooooo, stay away, or don't eat anything with soy, you'll grow bitch tits  ::) 

First of all, no one here needs to be that anal about every little thing.  Geez, if you like catsup on your eggs, for Pete's sake - use catsup!  It's not like you're having eggs with your catsup - it's a frickin' condiment not arsenic.

Soy is a very viable protein source and if you want to include it in the diet - go ahead!  It's not like it would be the only source.    In the whole scheme of things, it's not going to hurt you or give you gyno or any other feminine qualities.

Loco, this isn't a slam on you.  I'm just using your example - it happens around here all the time.  I know you like to use AST as a source of information.  Remember, AST is selling products.  Also, these supplement companies will often write articles without presenting all the information disguised as "scientific evidence".  You also need to question "who's funding this research?"  Not saying anything negative about AST - a lot of the time their info seems accurate and unbiased.

All I'm saying is that you guys need to think, research and question things a little more beyond the surface of what you read in Muscle & Fatness or some other mag./site.

That being said  ;) here's a little article about soy from a site that also sells stuff  :-* lol
Seriously, the information is informative.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/health-nutrition/soy-protein-benefits-use-2.htm

The companies site scientific evidence, validating the effectiveness of certain supplements. Case in point: Research and in-the-trenches experience will testify to the value of using creatine and whey protein together, to help facilitate gains in muscle mass.  MuscleTech would present such research in an "ad-report". The report would mention this valid research and real-world experience. Then, of course, the switch to the ad comes with the push of its particular versions of those products: CELL-TECH and NITRO-TECH, respectively.

As for soy protein, lots of old-school bodybuilders have used it and achieved good results. I don't know how soy got such a bad rap, at least for its effectiveness. Now, the gritty, sandy taste that soy proteins tend to have, that's another matter.