Author Topic: protein hell help please  (Read 4382 times)

KAM

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
protein hell help please
« on: June 09, 2006, 12:52:26 PM »
ok guys i need help bad,   ok every time i drink a protein shake it gives me the shits all day. i very stubborn so i keep drinking them thinking its something else and i ended up having the shits for like 2 weeks.  i stop drinking them and after about 3 day i'll be back to normal.   but as soon as i drink one it all starts over help!!!!!!!!!!
i've changed brands, what i mix it with, how i mix it.  i cant live with out my protein shake i at least have to have one after my work out.  ??? ???

ronian

• Getbig II
Re: protein hell help please
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »
Have you tried the various blends of protein out there, straight whey, casein, micellar, *shudder* soy.  If you have only tried Whey you might try one of the other forms.

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 02:43:53 PM »
What kind of protein are you using?  Also are you mixing it with Milk? If so don't there is no reason to use milk plus it can bloat you.  I use water if you are worried about the protein you get with the milk (which is little) just add a little more poweder.  Natures  Best Whey is what Ive used for 3yrs now.  Love it and its cheap .

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 02:47:22 PM »
Are you lactose intolerant?
Getting enough fiber?

:

johnnyx

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 03:44:09 PM »
Try using an all isolate or just egg protein....it sounds like you might have a lactose intolerance

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 04:22:57 PM »
you might be using a cheap brand bro.

KAM

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 05:14:46 PM »
well ive tried muscle milk, 100% whey, pro complex,nitro tech, gnc . i asked the doc about being lactose intorarent and he said that you dont just become lactose intolerent i would have had the problem the hole time and i havent so i don't know. may be its not enough fiber.

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 10:19:52 PM »
well ive tried muscle milk, 100% whey, pro complex,nitro tech, gnc . i asked the doc about being lactose intorarent and he said that you dont just become lactose intolerent i would have had the problem the hole time and i havent so i don't know. may be its not enough fiber.

All of those are sub par. I remember when I first tried nitro tech. I was on the shitter about a half hour after drinking my shake. ahhh the memories.....

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 10:36:55 PM »
i asked the doc about being lactose intorarent and he said that you dont just become lactose intolerent i would have had the problem the hole time and i havent so i don't know.

Personal experience tells me differently.  I never had dairy issues until about 5 years ago.  Now, certain dairy foods cause extreme distress.  I firmly believe our bodies change over the years...
:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 05:31:03 PM »
Are you lactose intolerant?
Getting enough fiber?

i bet lactose is the culprit... it makes me do the "wiggle and squeeze" too...

KAM

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 06:34:12 PM »
ok so say it is lactose what would be the best protein to take (kind)

D-Jay

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2006, 06:57:11 PM »
could try a soy protein....although not as nice an amino profile as whey, it may be worth trying in your case.

Or try digestive enzymes...I'll probably get blasted for mentioning GNC, but they have a dairy digestant that is relatively cheap and might be worth a try.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 07:36:16 AM »
KAM,
Are you male or female?  If you are a male, Soy protein will make you femenine.  If you are a female, than you're good with soy.

johnnyx

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 08:06:33 AM »
Try using an all isolate or just egg protein....it sounds like you might have a lactose intolerance

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 08:55:16 AM »
As Princess said you can become lactos intolerent with age, certain enzymes not working they way they should.

On the flip note, many people I know who have had their gallbladder removed become lactose intolerant.

As a last ditch effort when you pick up some protein pick up a bottle of Lactase enzyme and take it with the protein and see if that works....

Perhaps it's not the protein per-say but rather a sweetener in the protein like sucralose, splenda or something of the like?

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 02:09:22 PM »
How long have you been weight training & what is your program like?May be a case of overtraining.If not, as Princess stated you may not be taking in enough fiber also.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 02:33:55 PM »
KAM,
Are you male or female?  If you are a male, Soy protein will make you femenine.  If you are a female, than you're good with soy.

'Comon now.  Let's be real.  Every so often you guys give out advice about things that have no real validity in real life situations.  One minute it's parabens in catsup  ::)  ooooo, stay away, or don't eat anything with soy, you'll grow bitch tits  ::) 

First of all, no one here needs to be that anal about every little thing.  Geez, if you like catsup on your eggs, for Pete's sake - use catsup!  It's not like you're having eggs with your catsup - it's a frickin' condiment not arsenic.

Soy is a very viable protein source and if you want to include it in the diet - go ahead!  It's not like it would be the only source.    In the whole scheme of things, it's not going to hurt you or give you gyno or any other feminine qualities.

Loco, this isn't a slam on you.  I'm just using your example - it happens around here all the time.  I know you like to use AST as a source of information.  Remember, AST is selling products.  Also, these supplement companies will often write articles without presenting all the information disguised as "scientific evidence".  You also need to question "who's funding this research?"  Not saying anything negative about AST - a lot of the time their info seems accurate and unbiased.

All I'm saying is that you guys need to think, research and question things a little more beyond the surface of what you read in Muscle & Fatness or some other mag./site.

That being said  ;) here's a little article about soy from a site that also sells stuff  :-* lol
Seriously, the information is informative.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/health-nutrition/soy-protein-benefits-use-2.htm
:

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 06:18:55 PM »
try the yates approved or the bsn syntha 6. yes get more fiber!!!!!!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 06:48:29 AM »

'Comon now.  Let's be real.  Every so often you guys give out advice about things that have no real validity in real life situations.  One minute it's parabens in catsup  ::)  ooooo, stay away, or don't eat anything with soy, you'll grow bitch tits  ::) 

Loco, this isn't a slam on you.  I'm just using your example

Princess L,
You are wrong...and I'm not talking about soy.  You are wrong in your assumptions about me.  Yes, lots of guys here give out advice about things that have no real validity in real life situations, but do not quote me or use me as an example.   

About soy, go online and do a search on Google on  SOY ESTROGEN LEVELS MALES.  You'll see a ton of studies that contradict each other.  Some say that soy lowers testosterone and increases estrogen in males.  Other studies show that it doesn't.  So you can't come here and tell us men that it is okay to consume soy protein.  You are a female, therefore soy has no negative effects on you and you have nothing to risk and nothing to lose. 

As I was telling Rambo on another thread, I am all for science, research and studies, but I don't go by that 100%.  I go also by common sense and personal experience.  I have experimented with soy and had a bad experience.  There was a time when I heard and read nothing but good things about soy.  At the same time, I was hearing and reading that dairy products were evil, that lactose makes you fat, and that if I looked good when I was consuming dairy products, I would look even better if I stopped consuming them.  So I stopped drinking cow milk and eating yogurt and started drinking soy milk and soy protein.  I continued using Whey protein, but added soy protein to my diet.  I did not change anything else.  I was still consuming the same number of calories and my training was the same.  What happened?  I didn't get bitch tits, but I got fat.  I got fat and suddenly it was harder than ever before for me to lose the fat, a sign of low testosterone and high estrogen.  I did not even suspect soy at the time.  I just didn't know what was going on.  So I dropped the soy and went back to drinking cow milk and eating yogurt...and what happened?  I leaned out and was able to stay lean.  Later, I started reading about the negative effects of soy in males, that it may decrease testosterone and increase estrogen.  It is still a controversy, but when in doubt, stay away from soy if you are a male. 

Here is another thing.  I have a good number of friends from India.  Some are from a part of South India where they happen to be Christians.  So they eat meat.  The others are from other parts of India and happen to be, or used to be Hindu.  So they have never had meat before.  They get their protein from soy.  Neither group works out or have physical jobs.  I have been on vacation with them many times and when we go to the beach, I see that the soy eating Indians have a fat belly, narrow shoulders and tooth picks for arms and legs.  The meat eating Indians, on the other hand, have a fat belly too, but they have wide shoulders, strong backs and thick arms and legs. 

I understand that in the near future we might find out more about soy and realize that is not as bad as we think it is.  However, for now, can you blame me for avoiding soy?

So men,
take it from another man, stay away from soy.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 07:26:24 AM »

Loco, I know you like to use AST as a source of information.  Remember, AST is selling products.  Also, these supplement companies will often write articles without presenting all the information disguised as "scientific evidence".  You also need to question "who's funding this research?"  Not saying anything negative about AST - a lot of the time their info seems accurate and unbiased.

Princess L,
You are wrong again.  I have a bachelors degree in science.  So I know all about collecting data and analysing it, conducting studies and looking at other studies, medical journals, etc.  I don't "like to use AST as a source of information"  I just happen to respect Paul Cribb, B.H.Sci HMS, AST Director of Research.  The guy knows his stuff, does his research, works out himself and takes the time to answer questions and post great articles for free.  I don't even use AST products.  Not that there is anything wrong with them.  It is just that every single thing that Paul Cribb has suggested, that I have decided to try has worked for me and has worked very well.  So it has come to the point where, if Paul gave me his opinion about something and cited no research at all, I would still listen to him and respect his opinion.  The guy has earned my respect.  Why would I not listen to somebody who time after time has given great advice?  Oh, because he sells supplements?  AST spends more money on research than they do on marketing, unlike most supplement companies.  AST has two guinea pigs, Skip LaCour and Jeff Willet.  These guys do what AST tells them to do and they use AST products, because they get an unlimited supply for free.  AST also speaks very well of products that they don't even sell, and speak very well of other companies that are research based.  They give credit where credit is due.  But AST is by no means the only place where I get my information.

Another guy that I respect is Chris Aceto.  The guy is a registered nutritionist, natural bodybuilder, former nutrition consultant to Jay Cutler and other professional bodybuilders.  Everything I've tried that he has suggested has worked for me very well.

4thAD

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 07:27:20 PM »
AST products are excellent. Their whey isolate proteins are really easy on the stomach. Also their Micronised creatine is killer too!

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2006, 02:45:58 AM »
why would you need a proteinshake after your workout? you'd be better off with a regular meal within one hour or so.

Z

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2006, 06:23:50 AM »
Actually it would be a protein/carb shake.It's because after training your muscles are depleted & a shake will restore the muscle depletion more quickly & efficiently than a whole food meal which would take a longer time for your body to digest.It is also better to have a whole food meal maybe an hour after the shake also.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2006, 08:30:06 AM »
a shake before working out is probably even more important in that case
Z

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 09:37:54 AM »
Use a good whey like natures best whey but mix it with water!!