Author Topic: Talk about disappointment...  (Read 1457 times)

an123

• Getbig IV
Talk about disappointment...
« on: June 10, 2006, 09:18:59 PM »
Okay, a little backstory.  A guy at my club was fighting today, he recently got out of the military and stayed in Ottawa an extra 3 months so he could train/prepare for this fight (he is from Alberta, and planned to move back home afterwards).  He is 31 and this is his first fight.

So for the last 3 months, this guy has been training at the club 4-6x a week, getting just drilled into oblivion...  He also payed a disgusting amount to join this athletic conditioning center, in addition to everything else.

So on wednesday of this week, he weighed in at 198 pounds.  Over the next two days he cut down to 183 (they weigh ins for the fight were on Friday).  So the guy makes weight, and is sitting in the "lounge" waiting for his opponent to weigh in and do the obligatory pre fight hands up picture... Everyone gets called in, he is still sitting in the room waiting...

Finally, one of the officials comes in and tells him "Sorry *insert name here*, you oponent was in a car accident and had to pull out...  We didn't have time to find a replacement so unfortunately you are off the card.

Keep in mind he already payed around 400 dollars for the pre-fight tests... And he gets none of his "purse" which was 300 to show and 300 to win.

Mma is just a fucked up sport to be in... Not only do you have to worry about yourself getting injured, but you have to worry about your dang opponent!  All that pain/sacrafice/expense and you basically didn't get your chance.  I respect the mma fighters a lot, they put themselves through more than most and for the most part barely make enough to recover the costs.

C'est la vie.

torquemada

• Getbig IV
  • Billycarp ruled...
Re: Talk about disappointment...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 05:21:20 AM »
A LOT of amateur MMA fighters pull out or no show; at my fight, the promoter had 2 no shows and 1 guy to show up at the last minute.  There's a day coming when MMA will be a bigger sport, but for now,  at least, you have to do it b/c you love it, not $$$ :(

an123

• Getbig IV
Re: Talk about disappointment...
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 10:19:40 AM »
You are right, it does happen quite often in amateur/professional mma.  Just annoying it happened to a friend of mine.