Author Topic: 2006 Olympia - Phil Heath a no-go, Dexter a go-go  (Read 5149 times)

abz

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
2006 Olympia - Phil Heath a no-go, Dexter a go-go
« on: June 12, 2006, 04:12:50 PM »
From Flexonline -

OLYMPIA FANS WON’T GET THEIR PHIL
Written by: Peter McGough

After winning the Colorado and New York pro shows on May 13 and May 20 respectively, Phil Heath is seen as hot a prospect as bodybuilding has had in years. So the ever-growing legion of Heath fans will surely be disappointed to hear he is sitting out the 2006 Olympia. It’s a decision the 26-year-old made only after days spent searching his soul and gathering feedback from his small, but valued, circle of advisors.

“Believe me when I say I would love to compete in this year’s Olympia,” says Heath. “But I don’t feel it would be in my best interest at this stage of my career. It’s always been important to me to be able to make significant improvements from show to show. I think I put on some quality size in the 10 months between the USA last July and Colorado this past May, and to continue that improvement curve I’d like to work for a similar 10-month period before entering my next contest. Doing the Olympia on September 30 just wouldn’t give me the time I want to improve. The last thing I want to do is go into the Olympia looking the same as I did in Colorado or New York.” While he won’t be competing in Las Vegas come September 29-30, he will certainly be in attendance, probably looking healthy and full as he continues to add quality mass in preparation for his next competition, the 2007 Arnold Classic.

“By next March I will have had another 10 months to improve upon the physique I showed this May,” he says. “I think I should have a decent shot at qualifying for the 2007 Olympia at the Arnold if I can make the kind of gains in the offseason I’m expecting to make.”

He sees the six months between next year’s Arnold and the Olympia being sufficient time for him to make further improvements before making a Big O debut, “if”, as he says, “I qualify.” Any bets against him not doing that?

THE BLADE RETURNS
Written by: Peter McGough

Just when you thought this year’s Mr. Olympia contest had enough storylines, along comes a real blockbuster. Dexter Jackson, who many thought would from here on in concentrate on just the Arnold Classic, has signed the contract to compete at the Mr. O being staged in Las Vegas September 29 and 30.

The Blade last competed at the O in 2004, where he controversially slipped to fourth behind Gustavo Badell thanks to the machinations of the Challenge Round. He bypassed the Olympia last year and — let’s be honest — the contest missed him. At 230 hard, separated and balanced pounds, he personifies an aesthetic that many think is what Mr. Olympia should look like. Indeed, in FLEX’s reports of the 2003 and 2004 contests, this scribe commented that in a different age (perhaps sometime in the future?) under a different criteria Dexter’s complete package could be Mr. Olympia.

Now back where he belongs — on the stage where it’s decided who is the best bodybuilder on the planet — Dexter brings a fresh threat to the top two (Ronnie Coleman and Jay Cutler) of the last three years. Against those two size monsters Dexter, who has won the last two Arnold Classics, will be a legitimate menace to split them and who knows how high he can climb now he has the smell of Olympia action back in his nostrils.

For full details of Joe Weider’s 2006 Olympia Weekend go to www.2006olympia.com

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
Re: 2006 Olympia - Phil Heath a no-go, Dexter a go-go
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 04:24:10 PM »
Smart guy, that Heath.

KNEEL BEFORE HEATH!!!

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 05:05:31 PM »
smart move from Phil.. every man and his dog knows that Ronnie will win it this year. He's best off waiting till next year.

lol, I don't think that Jay got that memo
Here comes the money shot

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 08:29:37 PM »
The reason Jackson return to Olympia stage is because the Challenge Round is not going to affect the overall judging
I am a mini beast

adipo8

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 06:12:20 AM »
I still think they should ask ronnie to sit out this year and let him guest pose and pay him $110,000.00 and then set it up for a show down for 2007.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 06:16:16 AM »
Signing the contract is one thing , I will believe it when I see Dex on stage....
cause we all know how binding that contract is
**cough cough** Lee preist.... BTW Ironman Pro Champion, Lee are you doing the show this year ?
L

Slick Vic

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 07:06:34 AM »
Sweet! Dexter is back for the O!  8)

Triple-H_2005

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • I mostly lurk...
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 07:47:36 AM »
He may have misplaced it.. he might try looking where Gaspari, Labrada & Ray put their memos.. ;) ;D
Don't forget Levrone...he's had 3 or 4 second place finishes...at least 2 of which he should have won.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 08:06:25 AM »
Very wise move , he using his smarts and he seems humble !!

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 09:22:42 AM »
From Flexonline -

While he won’t be competing in Las Vegas come September 29-30, he will certainly be in attendance, probably looking healthy and full as he continues to add quality mass in preparation for his next competition, the 2007 Arnold Classic.

hahah, another arbitrary determination of an offseason pro's health by little more than a comparison of their face to a gaunt, 5% bodyfat competitor!

monster skin-deep observation
its comin today

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 09:50:14 AM »
nice move!

after Ronnie retreats, new cards will be dealt!

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006, 10:12:30 AM »
dex is looking awesome,i ran into him saturday night and he looked to be in great shape
R

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 10:27:13 AM »
Great move, Phil, you have better fish to fry than the olympia this year, in fact, the Olympia is already decided, so we'll wait and see what you bring at the Arnold next year
Get Big, or Die Trying

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 12:14:27 PM »
        I guess Phil Heath thinks with 10 months off, he would have a legitimate shot to win or at least place very high in the Arnold Classic. And then compete in the Mr. O, probably with no Ronnie.

He wants to keep his momentum going, and maybe his winning streak. Obviously he would have no chance to win the Mr. O this year, and with the 10 months to improve, have a decent shot at winning the Arnold next year.

But I am pretty sure Phil would at least make the top ten in the Olympia. And doesn't this automatically qualify you for next year? He could then take a full 12 months to look his best possible for the 2007 Mr. O, which could be anyone's if Coleman retires.

Winning the Mr O is the main goal, and I would think taking an entire year ,  giving him a couple of extra months to add more size, would be the most benificial. But I guess if he actually pulls of the win at the Arnold next year, he will keep his win streak going. And the last time there was a vacant Mr. O was 1998. And the guy who won the Arnold that year took over.

Naked4Jesus

• Getbig IV
  • You can save a IFBB Pro today by donating a kidney
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 12:19:03 PM »
        I guess Phil Heath thinks with 10 months off, he would have a legitimate shot to win or at least place very high in the Arnold Classic. And then compete in the Mr. O, probably with no Ronnie.

He wants to keep his momentum going, and maybe his winning streak. Obviously he would have no chance to win the Mr. O this year, and with the 10 months to improve, have a decent shot at winning the Arnold next year.

But I am pretty sure Phil would at least make the top ten in the Olympia. And doesn't this automatically qualify you for next year? He could then take a full 12 months to look his best possible for the 2007 Mr. O, which could be anyone's if Coleman retires.

Winning the Mr O is the main goal, and I would think taking an entire year ,  giving him a couple of extra months to add more size, would be the most benificial. But I guess if he actually pulls of the win at the Arnold next year, he will keep his win streak going. And the last time there was a vacant Mr. O was 1998. And the guy who won the Arnold that year took over.

Ronnie's not retiring.  He like collecting those big checks and would probably be training just as much if he weren't competing so why not stop by the big O and pick up his check.  Someone's going to have to actually beat him for him to second guess himself and I don't see that happening in the next few years so I think we can definately pencil in Ronnie for the next few years.

Lee_a_priest

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 12:34:35 PM »
Signing the contract is one thing , I will believe it when I see Dex on stage....
cause we all know how binding that contract is
**cough cough** Lee preist.... BTW Ironman Pro Champion, Lee are you doing the show this year ?

I signed the contract :)

Stavios

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 12:36:26 PM »

Last year too  ;D

leycus 101

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 12:38:49 PM »

Just curious.. y are you doing the show this year?  Is the accomodations gonna be different for the atheletes this year as far as venue etc...  I know last year u backed out due to being treating like crap as far as being taken care of... thanks lee.

laterzzz
pump'em dump'em

stomper

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 01:12:40 PM »
smart thing to do for phil, why would ronnie compete another O after this year what if he lost it would tarnish his nine olympias i mean obviously i know why he's doin this one to break the record

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 01:15:36 PM »
Very smart move by phil, he doesnt want to be another Rich Jones and get 15th ...
L

LeePriestLover

• Getbig II
  • ---LPL---
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 03:30:12 PM »
Smart guy, that Heath.

KNEEL BEFORE HEATH!!!

How can one Knee before Heath if he's too chicken to go on stage?

I think the "advisors" he's referring to is the internet telling him he'd have his ass handed to him by Victor Martinez. 

Heath has about 2 years of serious steroid consumption to get up to par with the real big boys.  He has good shape - great.  Now it's time to add some size to that frame.

Cold

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 10:29:57 PM »
Smart move. I always thought Heath should skip this year's Olympia to put on a bit more size (without ruining his frame like Tamali did).

If he competes this year, he'd make great lunch for Ronnie, Cutler, Dexter, Martinez, Cormier, Priest, Warren, etc. They will eat him alive. And there goes that winning streak.