Author Topic: Whey Protein Shake with whole food meals  (Read 1457 times)

Lil Diesel

• Getbig II
Whey Protein Shake with whole food meals
« on: June 13, 2006, 08:09:52 PM »
Sometimes I can't scrounge up enough whole food protein (ie. chicken breast) to provide the amount of protein I need for a given meal. I know that whey protein is fast absorbing, but would taking one scoop, right after eating a smal chicken breast cause it to be digested at the same rate?

Is doing this on a regular basis a good idea?

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
Re: Whey Protein Shake with whole food meals
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 08:13:01 PM »
trial and error... let US know.

Lil Diesel

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 08:21:52 PM »
My problem is that I don't eat enough whole meals and I get alot of my protein through shakes. Its rediculous and everyone says to do your best to eat more solid meals. Also, in MD, (I think it was Victor Martinez) said that he switched to alot of shakes one year when he was really busy and he lost alot of mass.

I practically built my physique with shakes, and I have been coming along nicely I think. But if solid food will excellerate my progess I'd love to be able to do that. However, its really hard for me to get that much protein from solid meals. If I could go like half and half, that would be easier, I just don't know if eating solid food with a shake will work the same way.

AVBG

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:22:12 PM »
Sometimes I can't scrounge up enough whole food protein (ie. chicken breast) to provide the amount of protein I need for a given meal. I know that whey protein is fast absorbing, but would taking one scoop, right after eating a smal chicken breast cause it to be digested at the same rate?

What a co-incidence.. I have just done the exact thing! It works for me.

Lil Diesel

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 08:42:02 PM »
How long have you been doing it? Are you gaining well?

AVBG

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 08:52:38 PM »
How long have you been doing it? Are you gaining well?

been doing it for approx 3-4 months.. gaining really well..

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 08:25:32 AM »
I know this is controversial, but I'm a firm believer that the body can only handle so many grams of protein in a given time span and the remainder is excreted.  Guys who slug down 60 plus grams of protein in a sitting, are probably only netting 30 at max, so their true total at the end of the day is not 300 grams, but literally almost half that.  In my humble opinion, the body can absorb 300 grams of protein, IF spread out over 10+ feedings.  So when you say you need to consume shakes to get the amount of protein you need with a meal, I would say use the shakes but in between meals, with at least 2 hrs in between feedings to acheive the target consumption.

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 06:26:53 PM »

the rate is the rate. whey will digest as it always does. you are doing something really good i think. you are making sure to have the needed amounts, go for it.

WhiteHulk4

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 12:33:12 PM »
the rate is the rate. whey will digest as it always does. you are doing something really good i think. you are making sure to have the needed amounts, go for it.

True dat!  But don't think of this as a bad thing...  If you were to eat a solid meal and supplement with a scoop of Whey Protein with the meal, you'll get a nice mix of fast and slow proteins that will enter your bloodstream over the course of a few hours, which is perfect for building muscle!

I also like MidnightRambo's suggestion of shooting the Whey shakes in between meals.  This also will keep a nice steady stream of amino acids pouring into your bloodstream throughout the day.