Author Topic: Salvation eternal?  (Read 1623 times)

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
Salvation eternal?
« on: June 16, 2006, 07:37:58 AM »
I threw this out to STella for an opinion and thought it might be cool to get some views on the subject.

Once salvation and the gift of eternal life are give to us by God can we loose it?? If we renounce God and his works as figments of our imagination or any other reason- does God punish us by taking the gift away and sending nonbelievers to the lake of fire???

What punishment do those whos views change to nonbeliever get for their lack of faith. If God so gracious that he forgives them totally and they stand with the righteous on judgement day? Is their a purgatory like place for those people??

Thoughts anyone?
X

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Salvation eternal?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 08:26:01 AM »
I threw this out to STella for an opinion and thought it might be cool to get some views on the subject.

Once salvation and the gift of eternal life are give to us by God can we loose it?? If we renounce God and his works as figments of our imagination or any other reason- does God punish us by taking the gift away and sending nonbelievers to the lake of fire???

What punishment do those whos views change to nonbeliever get for their lack of faith. If God so gracious that he forgives them totally and they stand with the righteous on judgement day? Is their a purgatory like place for those people??

Thoughts anyone?

I believe that if someone is truly saved at some point in their life, their salvation is eternally secure. 

Heb 7:24,25:  "but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood.  Therefore he is able to save completely (the word used here means permanently) those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them."

1John 2:1:  "My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin.  But if anyone does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense - Jesus Christ the Righteous One."

Romans 8:38,39:  ................"neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

So if someone is truly saved, there is nothing they can do to lose their salvation IMO.  Maybe their "punishment" other than having a possibly less peaceful or less fulfilling life will be that when they get to heaven their rewards will be fewer (but we cast all of our crowns at Jesus' feet anyway). 

I personally don't believe in any type of "purgatory" in the modern day.  I think this idea came from before Christ died and rose again where people were dead but the believers were not yet resurrected (although they still don't have their glorified bodies) into heaven w/him be cause he was the "first."......but that's a whole diff. subject!

R

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 09:10:35 AM »
I believe that if someone is truly saved at some point in their life, their salvation is eternally secure. 

Sins against the holy ghost will not be forgiven . . . thus separating man from god eternally.

In Acts, when annanias--a christian--was told that he had grieved the holy ghost by lying about how much of his property was worth, he promptly died . . . or was struck dead.  in any case, i think he lost what he once had by turning away from the holy ghost, who apparently moved peter to speak. well, at least that's how i remember it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 11:13:23 AM »

Once salvation and the gift of eternal life are give to us by God can we loose it??

Absolutely.  It's a gift that can be accepted or rejected.  We're all given the choice to believe or not believe, live as we want, make an effort to overcome sin, etc.