Author Topic: **John Romano's Questionable Commentary**  (Read 13891 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: **John Romano is Full of SHIT**
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2006, 10:34:33 AM »

The Olympia Expo drew at least 5000 out-of-town visitors who paid $10 or $20 each to see the Expo. 

It wasn't packed, but it was a fun, relaxing time. 

DarthNemesis21

• Getbig II
  • The darkside makes you stonger.Gives you focus!
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »
If the shows are so boring.Mabe now is the time for Vince McMahon to take another stab at promoting BBing.His shows had props,lighting,ect.I mean who better to bring the freakshow to the masses.Than the P.T Barnum of our age.Right idea.Wrong time.Just a thought.
give in to the darkside

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2006, 09:27:31 PM »
If the shows are so boring.Mabe now is the time for Vince McMahon to take another stab at promoting BBing.His shows had props,lighting,ect.I mean who better to bring the freakshow to the masses.Than the P.T Barnum of our age.Right idea.Wrong time.Just a thought.

Considering that I think the WWE wrasslin is moronic and retarded, I vote  NO!
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

body88

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2006, 09:41:20 PM »

Yeah....the "true fans" of bodybuilding= the "hardcore fans"...that amounts to the same 5,000 people that show up every year...no more, no less. Thats not progress in my book. We need to make these competitions into shows, which would appeal to more fans within the bodybuilding/ fitness world.

I've got an article on this coming out in the next issue of FLEX mag...it explains this very subject in detail...check it out.

As for making guys re-qualify...other than the reigning Olympia champion (Ronnie or otherwise), I see no real reason why there is a pass given to athletes simply for the fact that they placed well.
 making them re-Q would bring bigger talent to other shows as well, not just the "O"...It may also keep the guys in better conditioning throughout the year for guest posings, appearances, etc.

What other sport is this done? None that I can think of....it's not good for the sport as a whole, doesn't promote the athletes, doesn't give the other shows a chance to have the best in the world compete, and does nothing but stagnate the growth even more.

Time to make some changes...

This is a great post. Alot of these ideas sound like they would do a ton of good for the IFBB.

DarthNemesis21

• Getbig II
  • The darkside makes you stonger.Gives you focus!
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2006, 10:07:42 PM »
Considering that I think the WWE wrasslin is moronic and retarded, I vote  NO!
Well were not talkin' wrasslin'.Were talkin' BBing.He's got the deep pockets,And the vision.
give in to the darkside

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2006, 02:01:52 AM »
Well were not talkin' wrasslin'.Were talkin' BBing.He's got the deep pockets,And the vision.

He had that back in 1990, as well.

DonDan

• Getbig II
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2006, 04:37:27 AM »
Having the show at the Orleans is a bait-and-switch. You're supposed to think "Wow, Las Vegas!" - while picturing all the glamorous places along the Strip. Then you get to this tacky off-Strip joint that might as well be one of the just-over-the-state-line dumps in Mesquite.

And to those who have argued that the Orleans is more in line with the sport's financial realities, I would say that a Holiday Inn in Delaware is even more so. And at least holding it there wouldn't be trying to fool anyone.

I've been reading this board for years but have never posted that is up and until now. All I can say about this comment is BINGO!

RAT MCBAT

• Getbig III
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2006, 06:19:48 PM »
Maybe BSN will start running ads in MD so Ronnie can become a columnist.
it would be great to read something penned by ronnie, but MD's columns are ghost written.
forget what you know

Bones

• Getbig IV
  • 3rd pass thru the buffet line,had to undo my belt
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2006, 06:52:23 PM »
it would be great to read something penned by ronnie, but MD's columns are ghost written.
  If it would be written like the way he speaks in his videos I think I'd have to pass.
Vegas Buffets Rule!!

dearth

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2006, 06:58:52 PM »
I know of NO Weider athletes that have a stipulation in their contracts to compete in X amount of contests...

I guess you don't know Flex wheeler, fired courtesy of his car acccident
or even more recently Richard Jones "the next mr olympia" who has refused to compete since he had his ass handed to him at the olympia, then was eventually fired

try not so hard to defend weider/ifbb, you would sound less foolish

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2006, 06:59:33 PM »
They do have to qualify every year......all but six of them.

Think about it, if we have EVERY guy qualify (including Mr. O himself), the fans would get to see the top guys more than just once a year. Besides, imagine Ronnie getting beat at one the smaller shows. It would actually create some buzz/excitement instead of what we have now, which is nothing. We know who's gonna win come October. Again, the fans, the promoters, and the industry would benefit.
HAHA, RON.....

hifrommike

• Getbig III
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2006, 08:18:15 PM »
The Mr. O show would be a lot fairer & more interesting if you could only win the show once.  Then the title would get shopped more, & there would be a greater stake in competing.  But the purpose of the show is to sale mags, & it's easier to do that with an established product. 

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2006, 08:32:55 PM »
I guess you don't know Flex wheeler, fired courtesy of his car acccident
or even more recently Richard Jones "the next mr olympia" who has refused to compete since he had his ass handed to him at the olympia, then was eventually fired

try not so hard to defend weider/ifbb, you would sound less foolish

...and you would sound less foolish if you didn't open up your pie-hole about things you have no knowledge of whatsoever.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2006, 08:47:49 PM »
open up your pie-hole

Some people call that a diuretic-hole.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2006, 08:38:36 AM »
Think about it, if we have EVERY guy qualify (including Mr. O himself), the fans would get to see the top guys more than just once a year. Besides, imagine Ronnie getting beat at one the smaller shows. It would actually create some buzz/excitement instead of what we have now, which is nothing. We know who's gonna win come October. Again, the fans, the promoters, and the industry would benefit.

Been there, done that!!

When Coleman did the 2002 Show of Strength (and lost), out came all the conspiracy theories. And at the end of the day (i.e. the 2003 Mr. Olympia), Gunter Schlierkamp couldn't duplicate his SOS feat and hasn't come close to doing so since that time. Schilerkamp couldn't beat Coleman, when it mattered most.

Plus, when Coleman competed at the 2001 Arnold Classic, there were complaints about him doing so and taking a big payday from the other bodybuilders.

Do you honestly think that Coleman needs to qualify for the Mr. Olympia by entering a smaller show? Besides, in the past, he has entered smaller shows; but, those are usually the Grand Prix shows immediately after the Mr. Olympia.

Coleman could lose at smaller shows all the live-long day (Remember that Kevin Levrone beat him at the San Francisco Pro Invitational in 1998, the same year he won his first O title). As long as he wins the Olympia, he's still considered the best in the world.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2006, 08:44:55 AM »
The Mr. O show would be a lot fairer & more interesting if you could only win the show once.  Then the title would get shopped more, & there would be a greater stake in competing.  But the purpose of the show is to sale mags, & it's easier to do that with an established product. 

So, you want the Grimek rule put on the Olympia?

That makes no sense. Only 10 men have held that title. Considering all the awesome bodybuilders that have come down the pike to compete for that title, that's a BIG thing. It makes the Olympia that much more valuable and the achievement of winning it that much sweeter. Why do you think Ronnie collapsed in a big heap, when he won it all in 1998? He couldn't believe it. He'd never even placed in the top five before and placed "16th" in his Olympia debut. Then, he became THE MAN, and he beat the odds-on favorite (Flex Wheeler), along with several other big names (El Sonbaty [the previous year's runner-up], Shawn Ray, Kevin Levrone, etc.) in the process.

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2006, 10:05:16 AM »
So, you want the Grimek rule put on the Olympia?

That makes no sense. Only 10 men have held that title. Considering all the awesome bodybuilders that have come down the pike to compete for that title, that's a BIG thing. It makes the Olympia that much more valuable and the achievement of winning it that much sweeter. Why do you think Ronnie collapsed in a big heap, when he won it all in 1998? He couldn't believe it. He'd never even placed in the top five before and placed "16th" in his Olympia debut. Then, he became THE MAN, and he beat the odds-on favorite (Flex Wheeler), along with several other big names (El Sonbaty [the previous year's runner-up], Shawn Ray, Kevin Levrone, etc.) in the process.

And it went straight downhill from there! 

At least conspiracy theories, lost placings, and big predictions add some flavor.  The only buzz leading up to any Olympia since Ronnie won was the year he was coming back after losing to Gunter.  In the last 8 years of watching him compete that was the only time I really looked forward to him competing.  I don't think he ever looked better - there is a huge difference between fighting to keep your title and fighting to get it back.

dearth

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2006, 11:21:54 AM »
...and you would sound less foolish if you didn't open up your pie-hole about things you have no knowledge of whatsoever.

you sound as though my comments have offended you, Chick..
that was not really my intention.

However,  if you do indeed have some knowledge that is contrary
to my assertions (and those of Flex & Rich themselves) please share...

otherwise, you are doing what you do best, i.e. defending the Ifbb/weider ad nauseum.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2006, 03:00:02 PM »

At least conspiracy theories, lost placings, and big predictions add some flavor.  The only buzz leading up to any Olympia since Ronnie won was the year he was coming back after losing to Gunter.  In the last 8 years of watching him compete that was the only time I really looked forward to him competing.  I don't think he ever looked better - there is a huge difference between fighting to keep your title and fighting to get it back.

Thank you. At least with what I proposed there would be SOME excitement, and the fans would get to see the top pros more than once a year.
HAHA, RON.....

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2006, 06:15:34 PM »
Equally foolish (and craven) is ignoring those relevant posts that have you dead-to-rights on some issue.

/glass houses and all...

rovingster

• Getbig II
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2006, 09:42:39 PM »
Having the show at the Orleans is a bait-and-switch. You're supposed to think "Wow, Las Vegas!" - while picturing all the glamorous places along the Strip. Then you get to this tacky off-Strip joint that might as well be one of the just-over-the-state-line dumps in Mesquite.
Wait a damned minute!

They have a good Prime Rib in Mesquite, damn it!

arce377

• Getbig IV
  • ARCE DO SAN MARTIALARTS SCHOOL
Re: **John Romano's Questionable Commentary**
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2006, 10:11:04 PM »
WE ARE LUCKY BOB AND SHAWN EVEN BOTHER TO POST HERE!
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2006, 02:17:24 AM »

The fact that Gunter hasn't beaten Coleman since the Show of Strength is a testament to the fact that his win was an abberation.

Besides, when someone tries to add some "flavor", all we hear is blubbering and complaining about it. I refer you to the Challenge Round from the last two Olympias. Dexter Jackson (and others) griped about that for over a year, because Gustavo Badell leap-frogged over him to place 3rd at the 2004 Olympia. And last year, Badell beat Ronnie Coleman in that same Challenge Round (even though it had no bearing on the overall outcome). And, certain folks have been screeching about it ever since then.

You can't claim that the judges don't know what they were doing, as those doing the Challenge Round were all FORMER MR. OLYMPIAS.

Thank you. At least with what I proposed there would be SOME excitement, and the fans would get to see the top pros more than once a year.

Not necessarily.

All that would happen is that the top six would enter an overseas show, immediately after the Mr. Olympia, qualify there, and go into hibernation (if you will) for the next year. Of course, some of them were already doing that, even though a top-ten placing (prior to 2003) automatically qualified them for the next year's Olympia.

Exactly how much "excitement" has been added since the 2003 rule change occured, which reduced the number of qualifying spots at the Olympia itself from 10 to 6?

In any event, Mr. Olympia should not have to qualify to defend his title. And, there certainly shouldn't be any "Grimek rule", for the big O.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2006, 06:57:52 AM »
Equally foolish (and craven) is ignoring those relevant posts that have you dead-to-rights on some issue.

/glass houses and all...

like what? ask all you want...